Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2009, 20:58   #121

Re: Last Nights Council Meeting

id be a lot happier if it hadnt gone up
Old 28-02-2009, 21:08   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
id be a lot happier if it hadnt gone up
Only the water part on mine will the Council Tax stays the same. Sadley though, even though its good in some ways its bad we dont have the services increase that we want even though we have more in our pockets.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 21:51   #123

Quote:
yep that is a good start to save money but i just wonder how much power does the council have over council tax rises ? is it just there choice? as it does seem a foolish decission since there has been a 71% increase in people claiming job seekers in hyndburn ..... or say it was reported
The figures people claiming Job seekers Allowance in Hyndburn (as of January 2009) are 1753 claiments, at the same time last year the figures were 1110. Personally I think seeing the actual figures rather rhan percentages makes more sense, becuse just seeing 71% would not tell you what it was a percentage of.

There is 3.6% of the working population of Hyndburn a
claiming Job seekers Allowance (the figure for Jan 2008 was 2.2%).

There is a report to HBC Cabinet, which is being hel next Wednesday 4 March. This is a link tot he breakdown of the figures- which shows the numbers in each ward of the borough. Unfortunately the 5 most deprived wards -Church, Spring Hill, Central, Peel, Barnfield have the highest percent unemployed, and Baxenden (which is the least deprived ward) the lowest.

This is a link to the report
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...arch_09_1_.pdf
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:33   #124

that makes more sense but is there a way to get how many are out of work i.e claiming jobseekers and other benefits or is that not possible?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30   #125

Quote:
that makes more sense but is there a way to get how many are out of work i.e claiming jobseekers and other benefits or is that not possible?
The figures on the report I gave the link for show actual claimant count as at Jan 2009 - in total for Hyndburn and broken down by ward.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes rather than just hinting at veiled corruption, name names.

It's not like you to be so bashful and coy.

If you're right you'll be fine, if not we'll have that talked about brew when I come to visit you in the clink.

The councillor was George Slynn, and he was a director of Barnfield Construction plus other companies all registered at Companies House, I'm not saying that there was corrupt practices going on, but it does seem very strange that a councillor of Bernards standing (can never understand why he's never been the group leader) doesn't seem to know and it maybe just me but the leader of the council being a director of a company that was undertaking a lot of council work did not sit well with me.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42   #127
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
The figures people claiming Job seekers Allowance in Hyndburn (as of January 2009) are 1753 claiments, at the same time last year the figures were 1110. Personally I think seeing the actual figures rather rhan percentages makes more sense, becuse just seeing 71% would not tell you what it was a percentage of.

There is 3.6% of the working population of Hyndburn a
claiming Job seekers Allowance (the figure for Jan 2008 was 2.2%).

There is a report to HBC Cabinet, which is being hel next Wednesday 4 March. This is a link tot he breakdown of the figures- which shows the numbers in each ward of the borough. Unfortunately the 5 most deprived wards -Church, Spring Hill, Central, Peel, Barnfield have the highest percent unemployed, and Baxenden (which is the least deprived ward) the lowest.

This is a link to the report
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...arch_09_1_.pdf
I think that you may just think about percentages the way that I do claytonender, they can be very misleading, I once remember somebody stating that their organisations membership had taken off over 12 month period, membership had increased by150% there used to be two of them now there are 5
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56   #128
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The councillor was George Slynn, and he was a director of Barnfield Construction plus other companies all registered at Companies House, I'm not saying that there was corrupt practices going on, but it does seem very strange that a councillor of Bernards standing (can never understand why he's never been the group leader) doesn't seem to know and it maybe just me but the leader of the council being a director of a company that was undertaking a lot of council work did not sit well with me.
I just wonder if this only happens in hyndburn, and with only one political party, I would guess not, perhaps someone who has time should look at how many councillors etc are directors of companies carrying out work for council/government, I for one think the eaga grants money is lining the pockets of people that would maybe cause concern, I have no proof of this, it is an assumption, it is sad that we think in this way, but it is after all the way we have learned to think as a direct result of political corruption/greed.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:02   #129
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I just wonder if this only happens in hyndburn, and with only one political party, I would guess not, perhaps someone who has time should look at how many councillors etc are directors of companies carrying out work for council/government,

It's not just direct involvement though. There's a lot of who you know not what you know goes on in all walks of life, politics and big business is probably the biggest 'gainer' of all though.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08   #130
God Member

Agreed lancsdave, which makes the bickering, laying of blame, accusations and insults within this thread more laughable, methinks there are NO politicians who give 100% to the job, or are 100% honest. Im sure you know very well the other word for politics, a clue? It begins with B and ends in s or x depending on your preference!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10   #131
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Im sure you know very well the other word for politics, a clue? It begins with B and ends in s or x depending on your preference!

I do know because it's already been mentioned in this thread or a similar thread......... Biscuits
Old 01-03-2009, 12:14   #132
God Member

Ah! Or bix? yes of course, knew you would know!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:51   #133
Senior Member+

Post Re: Last Nights Council Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think you will find that most of the companies where Joint Venture Companies, between in this case Barnfield Construction and the Council.

Over the years there have been several joint venture companies that the council has, and still is involved with

They were set up as means of bringing investment into the borough. It was also at a time when the Government was encouraging closer co-operation between local authorities and the private sector.

It was normal procedure for the council to appoint councillors to serve on the joint venture company. But there was defiantly no remuneration for the councillors involved.

There are also other limited companies that councillors get appointed too, mainly charities. But again no remuneration for the councillors involved.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 16:08   #134
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nice.

Can't really be called a bung I suppose, but an interesting thing to ponder for the people of Hyndburn who might now be on short time or out of work, that they may be indirectly funding free season tickets, courtesy of £80,000 worth of their Council Tax, when they are having to explain to their kids why they can't take them to see their favourite team.

Just as an aside to this - last year the Council gave a youth drama project affiliated with Oswaldtwistle Players some funding. As a gesture of thanks, Oswaldtwistle Players committee sent the council via Cllr Britcliffe some free tickets for the next show.

He came to see the show and brought with him a personal cheque to cover the cost of the tickets that he'd used.

Now, I know that the £20 for tickets for an Ossy Players show doesn't compare with the value of tickets given to the council for Acc Stan - but does show that Peter was completely above board with everything and didn't take advantage of the fact that the Council had given a grant.

Just thought I'd post something to show him in a good light.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 23:13   #135
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
I would just point out also that the council recently has missed out on the chance of much needed external funding, because apparently the form wasn't filled in correctly.

Are these forms filled out by Councillors or Council Officers?

If Officers, how would it have been different under a Labour Council?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..