Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2009, 00:00   #211
Give, give, give member

Re: Last Nights Council Meeting

Strange how folk are quick to brand some people who criticise our council as a 'Tory basher', yet seem unwilling to label them a 'Labour basher', when they do the same thing of our government.

Odd that.

Perhaps not too odd really I suppose.

It's the old one party blinkers they wear, but without which I can happily criticise or praise, wherever I see fit, regardless of which political party or nincompoop happens to be in charge.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2009, 08:59   #212
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Could be, maybe next time we are at a meet together we could talk about it.
Why wait, lets hear what you know and who gave you the info.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 09:05   #213
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Strange how folk are quick to brand some people who criticise our council as a 'Tory basher', yet seem unwilling to label them a 'Labour basher', when they do the same thing of our government.

Odd that.

Perhaps not too odd really I suppose.

It's the old one party blinkers they wear, but without which I can happily criticise or praise, wherever I see fit, regardless of which political party or nincompoop happens to be in charge.

I've had second thoughts about these one party political blinkers, as I think they are only available in blue, and not red.

The Conservative supporters on here are quick enough to label people Tory bashers, if they dare to criticise the Tory run council, but I can't recall Labour party members doing the same when we criticise the Labour government. Indeed they sometimes join in the criticising.

Old 14-03-2009, 09:16   #214
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I've had second thoughts about these one party political blinkers, as I think they are only available in blue, and not red.

The Conservative supporters on here are quick enough to label people Tory bash, if they dare to criticise the Tory run council, but I can't recall Labour party members doing the same when we criticise the Labour government. Indeed they sometimes join in the criticising.
To be quite honest how could they defend this set of useless clowns that call itself a government. Its quite different to the time when all the Labour election leaflets were endorsed by Tony Blair, not long after when he became known as Tory Blair amongst the locals, they didn't want to be associated with Labour Nationally, But as the saying goes Rindi local or national they al use the same pot as to say, they are the same party whether they like it or not and will be judged accordingly
Old 14-03-2009, 09:23   #215
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be quite honest how could they defend this set of useless clowns that call itself a government.
Personally it baffles me when people try to defend some of the actions of the council, and it's leadership.

I suppose those blinkers only allow them to see a very narrow view of things, and not the overall picture.

Old 14-03-2009, 09:51   #216
God Member

Here's a controversial thought,

Perhaps things work best when there are two strong opposing factions! Perhaps, PB and GJ need each other to create a balanced council, perhaps, the stronger the leader is the stronger the opposition needs to be. Yin and yang - creates balance and ultimately benefits the public.

So, whether they like or whether we like it or not, they both need each other and we need both of them.

Ok, now i'll go and hide.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 10:14   #217
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

Perhaps things work best when there are two strong opposing factions! Perhaps, PB and GJ need each other to create a balanced council, perhaps, the stronger the leader is the stronger the opposition needs to be. Yin and yang - creates balance and ultimately benefits the public.

So, whether they like or whether we like it or not, they both need each other and we need both of them.

Why hide? For any kind of govenance to work yes there has to be opposition that is strong and able to fight for the benifit of the public. Yet there will be times when they need to work together for the common good. The more conflict between both sides there is then it is detrimental to the good of the populace at large.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 10:24   #218
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Gayle I actually agree with you, back in the mid 90s the council framework was 44 Labour 3 Tory councillors and to be quite honest it was pointless, much the same as the Tory Government in the 80s with 100 plus majorities and Labour Government in the late 90s early 2000 with 100 plus majorities. For any democracy to work there has to be a strong opposition otherwise you may just as well forget it altogether

Last edited by jaysay; 14-03-2009 at 10:25. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 10:44   #219
Senior Member+

Quote:

Interesting point Gayle. I would take issue on one point though, the present leader of the council being a strong leader.

Strong leaders don't prevent other people speaking, strong leaders are also prepared to listen to other peoples views. A strong leader doesn't throw personal abuse at people as a means of shutting them up. I could go on, but I'm sure you could include a few yourself.

Strong and effective leadership is fundamentally about being inclusive, not exclusive. What you see from the present leader of the council is weakness not strength.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 11:08   #220
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Here's a controversial thought,........
So, whether they like or whether we like it or not, they both need each other and we need both of them.....
Are you suggesting that they are friends?
Maybe they go for a beer together and laugh at us lot being conned by them.
I wonder if Peter has gone away with Graham.

Old 14-03-2009, 14:27   #221
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
Interesting point Gayle. I would take issue on one point though, the present leader of the council being a strong leader.

Strong leaders don't prevent other people speaking, strong leaders are also prepared to listen to other peoples views. A strong leader doesn't throw personal abuse at people as a means of shutting them up. I could go on, but I'm sure you could include a few yourself.

Strong and effective leadership is fundamentally about being inclusive, not exclusive. What you see from the present leader of the council is weakness not strength.
What would you know about leadership Bernard you've always been a bit part player, voting how your told to
Old 14-03-2009, 14:42   #222
Resting in Peace

Must have been a flaming long meeting,are they getting paid enough?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 15:04   #223
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What would you know about leadership Bernard you've always been a bit part player, voting how your told to
By your reaction I assume you agree with me.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 16:16   #224
Give, give, give member

Not being a member of any political party, nor indeed having always voted the same way, I tend to look at the evidence before me, rather than blindly attacking or defending any one team's performance.

Since I moved back here five years ago this is what I've seen to sway my opinion on H.B.C., and it's leadership.

Cons-

The idea that the name of the borough should be changed, which would have involved enormous expense, and brought no discernible benefits to the people or towns in Hyndburn.

The town/parish council idea. We were told every residence in Hyndburn would receive a form so their thoughts would be considered. We then discover many hundreds of homes never received a form, making that exercise a complete waste of time and money. That's aside from the fact that no one, including the council, knew what this new layer of bureaucracy would be responsible for, and which actual budgets they'd be able to raise money for. It might have been a great idea, but we'll never know, as it was presented before it was even half baked, and not even the council knew what it's purpose would be, though they did admit it would result in an increase in council tax.

The £591,000.00 that was granted to the council for a community internet forum, and was wasted on the now defunct site.

The £500,000.00 that was spent on refurbishing Broadway, which saw less seating, and those few seats there are were so badly designed that they remain wet even the day after it's last rained. I pass no judgement on the design quality of the various brushed steel modernernist street furniture, that is supposedly an improvement on what was there before.

The appalling and dangerous state of the town centre pavements.

The lack of money that's been allocated for essential maintenance of the parks in the borough.

A council who decide to buck every other trend, and go against the findings of an independent body, and award themselves massively increased allowances.

A council leader whose party two years ago voted for what equated to a 20% pay rise for that same council leader, again bucking the national trend of everyone else in the country's pay rise.

A leader who it's reported in the press called a fellow councillor a 'silly cow', at a publicly attended meeting in council chambers.

The placing of hanging baskets out of reach of shop owners, which saw many dead in a matter of days because they couldn't be watered, whilst the council's own truck drove past watering the ones they'd placed on the lamposts.

A council apparently committed to recycling, and issuing fines to those who refuse, yet making no provision for trade waste in the borough to be recycled, including that from council offices.

Pros-

The flower towers, and the Floral Market Town campaign.

Last edited by garinda; 14-03-2009 at 16:19.
Old 14-03-2009, 17:50   #225
God Member

G that was shock n awe n left me nigh on speachless.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..