Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2013, 17:29   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Nice job if you can get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I've missed your question then. What was it and I'll answer it gladly.
My Granddaughter has started paying council tax in her own right, she opened a DD so she could pay it directly though her bank, she likes to keep up with her finances and complained that HBC hadn't taken the money to pay her CT, She then received a final demand from HBC saying she had not paid her CT and if she didn't pay by 20th March she would become liable for the full amount on that day. She rang HBC but was told that there were 23 people in a queue and it would be half an hour before somebody cold deal with her enquiry. One can only imagine that the finance department got their act together and collected money from people who have done everything they've been asked to do to make collection simple, then maybe, just maybe there wouldn't be 23 people waiting on the telephone to sort out a problem
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2013, 17:44   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My Granddaughter has started paying council tax in her own right, she opened a DD so she could pay it directly though her bank, she likes to keep up with her finances and complained that HBC hadn't taken the money to pay her CT, She then received a final demand from HBC saying she had not paid her CT and if she didn't pay by 20th March she would become liable for the full amount on that day. She rang HBC but was told that there were 23 people in a queue and it would be half an hour before somebody cold deal with her enquiry. One can only imagine that the finance department got their act together and collected money from people who have done everything they've been asked to do to make collection simple, then maybe, just maybe there wouldn't be 23 people waiting on the telephone to sort out a problem
That's not a question - it's a rant.

You perhaps would have got answers from your own councilor, rather than expect a Rishton councilor to make enquiries for you.

You should have added at least one ? somewhere.
Eric, Alan Varrechia and susie123 like this.

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-03-2013 at 17:46.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:48   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That's not a question - it's a rant.

You should have added at least one ? somewhere.
Why, I've pointed out the problem if he can't work that out, is it any wonder we have these cock ups
Old 19-03-2013, 18:10   #49
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Why, I've pointed out the problem if he can't work that out, is it any wonder we have these cock ups
You pointed out a problem, but didn't prompt for a reply.

I did similar via email to the town hall asking what had happened to my claim,

It took several days before I got a reply stating they couldn't deal with my question until I gave them, name, addy, N.I. No., claim number and a variety of other things, all except N.I. and Claim number I'd had to fill in just to send the email.
Then the email goes I suspect to a general pool who either block it or pass the question on to to the relevant department so that they can block it!

They know already what peoples emails are going to be about, so why not a drop down menu before you fill it in stating what will be required if you wish for a worthwhile answer?

P.S. I know it isn't Kens fault, but it would be nice now and then when he comes on site to defend the Council if he did at least do his double talking avoidance of any useful facts once he's read my feeble input.
jaysay likes this.

Last edited by Less; 19-03-2013 at 18:14.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 20:48   #50
JFT96

Seems like its have a go at Jay day, simply because he forgot to use some grammar in his question to Ken and the council.

Jay, you should know in order to get anywhere with politicians you need to use clear simple English, a sack of money and a baseball bat, one of those usually works. Well it did in Morocco

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:26   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't think I did, actually.

I believe I stated that I don't blame MPs for finding work beyond their life in parliament and that even though their salary is tasty by average northern standards I still wouldn't have their life.

There is very little personal time as an MP, even in recess.
What you actually said was that being an MP was a full time job and the thread certainly was inclusive of our local MP

[QUOTE=Ken Moss;1025243]

I think what I should have been more clear about is that being an MP is very much a full time job and every waking hour becomes devoted to community work. QUOTE]

The two quotes do seem to be somewhat at odds with each other and once again we are provided with another example of selective memory by politicians.
jaysay likes this.
Old 20-03-2013, 13:47   #52
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You pointed out a problem, but didn't prompt for a reply.

I did similar via email to the town hall asking what had happened to my claim,

It took several days before I got a reply stating they couldn't deal with my question until I gave them, name, addy, N.I. No., claim number and a variety of other things, all except N.I. and Claim number I'd had to fill in just to send the email.
Then the email goes I suspect to a general pool who either block it or pass the question on to to the relevant department so that they can block it!

They know already what peoples emails are going to be about, so why not a drop down menu before you fill it in stating what will be required if you wish for a worthwhile answer?

P.S. I know it isn't Kens fault, but it would be nice now and then when he comes on site to defend the Council if he did at least do his double talking avoidance of any useful facts once he's read my feeble input.
I was up at the Council Offices yesterday and all this has been noted with the switchboard already. There was a technical fault which hasn't helped matters over the past few days because there has been a much higher volume of calls regarding Council Tax.

In fairness, information action regarding the forthcoming increase to certain residents has already been sent out some time ago but it appears that some people have not fully understood what it has meant to them.

In terms of a central email pool, there isn't one as such. Enquiries emails are logged at the switchboard and then sent to the relevant department, in this case Benefits. There has been enough confusion over this to trigger a second look at how we do things and review procedure.

Believe it or not, we do listen to complaints.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 13:49   #53
Common Sense Member

Quote:
That sounds like one that slipped the net Jay and I will apologise on behalf of the Council for the error but of all people it could have happened to it just had to be a member of your family....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 17:36   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That sounds like one that slipped the net Jay and I will apologise on behalf of the Council for the error but of all people it could have happened to it just had to be a member of your family....

Think its called sods law Ken, but it is a bit much ain't it, the lass was doing the right thing then gets a nasty letter from HBC
Old 20-03-2013, 18:06   #55
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Lets not be silly, this kind of thing has been going on for years, long before You took power.
It's a bit like the Accrington Pals but not something we should be proud of, every family within the Borough has been affected by it!
cashman and jaysay like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 17:01   #56
JCB

From a report in this week's Accrington Observer .

Graham Jones joined the Lords and Commons cricket club on a visit to Jamaica to raise the profile of the impoverished Treasure Beach .

The MPs donated £4,500 of kit which they paid for personally .

Graham Jones said : " The trip was during the Parliamentary recess to officiate the opening of the Lords and Commons Pavilion at the BREDS Foundation Project .
"We went in our own time and it didn't cost the taxpayer a penny because we paid for it ourselves .
"Any criticism of this is idiotic . At the end of the day the whole purpose was to support a charity . "

Link to BREDS :- www.breds.org

Nothing wrong with that .

Last edited by JCB; 21-03-2013 at 17:05.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 06:11   #57
Senior Member+

Surely the £4,500 pounds spent on cricket kit and the personal expenditure of each of the "cricket team" could have been spent on providing facilities in UK for more underpriveliged children to partake in sports.
Another example of Foreign Aid perhaps?
Old 22-03-2013, 06:36   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Surely the £4,500 pounds spent on cricket kit and the personal expenditure of each of the "cricket team" could have been spent on providing facilities in UK for more underpriveliged children to partake in sports.
Another example of Foreign Aid perhaps?
Whist yeh may have a point, No-one will ever tell me how i should spend me own brass.
Old 22-03-2013, 08:33   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whist yeh may have a point, No-one will ever tell me how i should spend me own brass.
You buy Wyn a pint at the next home match
Old 23-03-2013, 07:49   #60
God Member

well im sure some will be thinking graham is owed an appology but lets not forget he still hasnt appologised to his constituants for stabbing them in the back and for insulting them when they asked why he lied about the way he would vote on been allowed a referendum to win a few votes.

by the way in the report it higlighted the plight of jamaica saying it had roads full of potholes

anyone drive through hyndburn lately the state of our roads cold give jamaica a run for their money and our potholes are full of water too

ok at the moment full of snow which still isnt good for your car when you drop into one
jaysay likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 23-03-2013 at 07:52.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..