Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 13:03   #16

Re: Does anyone know of the whereabouts of The ROE FAMILY OF CLAYTON LE MOORS

Yes I remember them. Chris went to a.g.s. Nigel I used to be very good friends with before they moved to Blackpool in the late 60's. They lived quite close to David and Peter Kenyon, just above Jack Cromptons Greengrocers and below the old sweet shop of a dear old lady, as someone said opposilte the jolly wash. Other people who lived in barnes street are Dennis Winkley John Pilkington Norman Mitchell Billy Marsden John and Christine Yarrington Danny Ireland Margaret and Helen Thornton the daughters of Jack Thornton the Barber and there are others I can't quite remember them all. Best wishes to you all THE OLD SAINTONIAN
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2009, 05:25   #17

My great aunt Annie had the sweet shop at the top of Barnes st, in the sixties,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36   #18

Here are a few more names who lived on Barnes Street in the sixties, Clive Barton, in the midddle on the right, Gary Holderness who later appeared on the crystal maze, remember that, didn't win on it though, Raymond Tyldesly his dad Ernie had the pet shop lower end on left near the ladies hairdressers, Arthur Cowburn, and The Richardson brothers who were into stock car racing, they later set up a garage opposite the police station on Whalley Road, I think how's that for memories. Top of Barnes Street on the left from round the corner where th post office was, was The Twistles had a sewing shop, the Chadwicks I think had the sweet shop but it did change hands quite regularly, the betting shop owned by Milton Bradley I think, a greengrocers which had wet fish too I think, Bettys the grocers, then Bunces the ironmongers, hows' about that then.
Old 07-11-2009, 18:33   #19
Resting in Peace

Funny how I don't remember half of the people you have mentioned O.S. even though I lived at No. 72 from August '64 >>1974.

My ex, daughter, son and grandaughter all went to All Saints, but not within your time scale.

Know who Chrissy is that started this thread. Annie Charles and Jo's shops, yes, the Tydsleys, newsagents and Rose and Bob's General Store almost opposite me. The Deans, I think, was a shop at one time.

People close to me were:-

The Pughs.
The Youngs.
The Ormerods.
The Davies's
Kath Birtwistle and family.
Barbara ... the archer.
The Scottish Policeman who lived next door .. now lives down here on Sparth Farm estate.
The Taylors .. moved into Jack the Barbers place.
Haworths (David Haworth) .. end house of my block.

More .. but why do names escape me

My ex and his father had the garage behind the Fort's Arms .. Birtles.

Last edited by katex; 07-11-2009 at 18:38.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 20:17   #20
God Member

Was the Deans about half way down Barnes Street on the left going down?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54   #21

Now if I remember correctly Barbara the archer also used to have Boxer dogs that they showed off at Crufts and the like, also the Barski family lived near them Linda, Kevin and David, there was Bert's the bakers across the road I think and previously on the same side opposite berts there had been another bakers on the corner opposite the old church which cornered George Street I think. Ah happy memories Old Saintonian.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Talking of barnes street, Danny .
Unfortunately, there is an obituary in the Accy Observer this week for a Daniel Green, aged 64, market trader ... can't be certain, but sure this is the one that lived in Clayton ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Was the Deans about half way down Barnes Street on the left going down?
Well, half way down the bottom block on the left going down Bernie . Margaret and Jeff and their three daughters. Used to work with Margaret at Naylers the Printers ... she had a wicked sense of humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Saintonian View Post
Now if I remember correctly Barbara the archer also used to have Boxer dogs that they showed off at Crufts and the like, also the Barski family lived near them Linda, Kevin and David,
Yes, Barbara did have boxer dogs O.S. Her mum had a knitting machine and used to knit cardigans for my daughter for a small charge ... lovely lady.
Remember the Barskis ... David is just a year older than my daughter, but Linda was a few years older.

Guessing you are around 53 ?

Just curious about Alan Hands. My daughter was friendly with a girl called Debbie Hands who lived/moved down Sparth Farm Estate ... her Grandma lived in Barnes Street just a little up from me .. Jessie. Was in the Barnes Square Concert Party with her .. unusual name, wondered if a relation. Think Debbie had a brother.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24   #23
God Member

[quote] Katex Well, half way down the bottom block on the left going down Bernie . Margaret and Jeff and their three daughters. Used to work with Margaret at Naylers the Printers ... she had a wicked sense of humour.[quote] It is the ones I remember but sure they had two daughters and a son.
Old 08-11-2009, 16:11   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It is the ones I remember but sure they had two daughters and a son.
Probably correct Bernie ... as can't picture the third daughter ... so that is most likely why
Old 08-11-2009, 20:42   #25

[quote=katex;761451]Unfortunately, there is an obituary in the Accy Observer this week for a Daniel Green, aged 64, market trader ... can't be certain, but sure this is the one that lived in Clayton ?
it is the same danny green,my dad,neil lancaster, was on about it when he read my observer.incidentaly he was born and bred on barnes street and moved off in 66.
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:31   #26
God Member

Quote:
Talking of barnes street, Danny Green, Satch Collier,a couple of names that come to mind. I think there was a rag shop down Barnes St circa 1960s, other names , Gordon Bamber, Keith Warring, The Hayes Twins.John Riddiough, David Catlow.
I remember Gordon and Keith ... and was the rag shop Basil Brierly's? Just below the chippy on the right hand side going down?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:38   #27

Eric, Keith Warring past away about 15 years ago, he was a nice bloke. yea Brierly's was the name of the rag shop, I said Danny Green had a sister called Pat got mixed up it was Sheila not Pat, she was quite a looker, Also another name comes to mind Susan Melling and Linda Ball, My grandma & grandad lived opposite Clayton laundry in a row of 5 houses, there still there.
Old 12-11-2009, 20:22   #28
God Member

Quote:
Eric, Keith Warring past away about 15 years ago, he was a nice bloke. yea Brierly's was the name of the rag shop, I said Danny Green had a sister called Pat got mixed up it was Sheila not Pat, she was quite a looker, Also another name comes to mind Susan Melling and Linda Ball, My grandma & grandad lived opposite Clayton laundry in a row of 5 houses, there still there.
Sorry to hear about Kieth ... jeez, this getting old sucks ... I still can't bring to mind the Roe family; but, there again, remembering people you run into in the normal course of life isn't something you think you will be called upon to do later in life (much later) I read thro' this thread again, and came across the name "Satch Collier". I'm sure I went to school (All Saints) with a Collier. I was there from '51 to '57. And David Bartram(?)
Old 13-11-2009, 04:27   #29

You would have known him Eric, Satch always had a gang of boys with him he was a hard nut, he would have gone to All Saints, I know he went to Mount Pleasent. another name was Mick Duggan, think he was one of the first people I knew to wear cuban heal boots ( Beatle boots ). I was from the top end. I cant recall the Roes ither.
Old 13-11-2009, 16:41   #30
God Member

Quote:
You would have known him Eric, Satch always had a gang of boys with him he was a hard nut, he would have gone to All Saints, I know he went to Mount Pleasent. another name was Mick Duggan, think he was one of the first people I knew to wear cuban heal boots ( Beatle boots ). I was from the top end. I cant recall the Roes ither.
Would "Satch" have been Stanley Collier? The name seems to be ringing something in the old belfry. Mick Duggan I remember.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..