Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2009, 11:08   #31

Re: Does anyone know of the whereabouts of The ROE FAMILY OF CLAYTON LE MOORS

Yes Stanley Collier was Satch he used to live near The Castle pub if I remember correctly. Now then Mr. Gilmartin, any relation to Kevin Gilmartin? who lived on Lower Barnes Street near, John,Tony and Phil Demaine, I think! Geoffrey Williams lived down there too. Along with little Jimmy Whelan and his big sister Linda. Mind you anyone was bigger than Jimmy. Now back to Barnes street who remembers Harry Lifflys' the wallpaper/paint shop, had some trouble with him used to kick a ball against his garage on Pickup street and knock paint cans off inside, seems funny now. I thionk the archer was Barbara Fielding mind you the big claim to fame in Clayton was the cyclist on Whalley roa Simpson I think his name was, now he was a star! Best wishes all Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2009, 21:27   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Satch did live on one o them streets around the Castle somewhere, used to frequent the "Forts" n "Albion" mid 60s, always had a "Ratter" on his napper.
Old 16-11-2009, 03:49   #33

St Peter's Square Sunday morning. who's that standing next to Olli, Oh thats the Pope.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 03:50   #34

Yea Stanley was his name, Kevin is my brother but we lived on Blackburn Rd not the bottom end of Clayton Peter is my other brother, I went to school with Phil Demaine, Did Barbara Fielding have a brother Ian.
Old 16-11-2009, 16:18   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Yea Stanley was his name, Kevin is my brother but we lived on Blackburn Rd not the bottom end of Clayton brother .
I think we have had this discussion before Alan, where there are two Kevin Gilmartins, and was two Alans. Although they are all Claytonians ... different families.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 04:30   #36

Yea I know there were two Alan's Kate, I did'nt know there were two Kevin's. But my memory is'nt what it used to be Kate.
Old 17-11-2009, 10:33   #37

Well who are you then, Im Christine Yarranton
Old 17-11-2009, 10:39   #38

I used to play out with David Kenyon and the old lady in the shop was his grandma, Eidie Benthom was her name. Used to get penny arrow bars, Black jacks and rainbow drops from there
Old 17-11-2009, 10:45   #39

Thats fantastic, I lived right across from Bettys and bunces. My mum used to send me to Bettys for a small sliced loaf every tea time or a twist loaf from Berts bakery further down right across from the Thorntons, lol
I hated going to Harrys Butchers though, he always had a shop full and you would be in there about an hour while he cut all the meat there and then while people waited. It was wasting valuable playing out time...lol
Old 17-11-2009, 10:50   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Saintonian View Post
Here are a few more names who lived on Barnes Street in the sixties, Clive Barton, in the midddle on the right, Gary Holderness who later appeared on the crystal maze, remember that, didn't win on it though, Raymond Tyldesly his dad Ernie had the pet shop lower end on left near the ladies hairdressers, Arthur Cowburn, and The Richardson brothers who were into stock car racing, they later set up a garage opposite the police station on Whalley Road, I think how's that for memories. Top of Barnes Street on the left from round the corner where th post office was, was The Twistles had a sewing shop, the Chadwicks I think had the sweet shop but it did change hands quite regularly, the betting shop owned by Milton Bradley I think, a greengrocers which had wet fish too I think, Bettys the grocers, then Bunces the ironmongers, hows' about that then.
Now, as teenagers we used to all go in Tillies house at the back of the pet shop when his mum and dad went out on a saturday night. It was either Tillies or our house. eeee them wer days....................
Old 17-11-2009, 10:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Was the Deans about half way down Barnes Street on the left going down?
Hi Bernadette, yes the Deans where and still are there...chrissy
Old 17-11-2009, 11:06   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Unfortunately, there is an obituary in the Accy Observer this week for a Daniel Green, aged 64, market trader ... can't be certain, but sure this is the one that lived in Clayton ?

Well, half way down the bottom block on the left going down Bernie . Margaret and Jeff and their three daughters. Used to work with Margaret at Naylers the Printers ... she had a wicked sense of humour.

Yes, Barbara did have boxer dogs O.S. Her mum had a knitting machine and used to knit cardigans for my daughter for a small charge ... lovely lady.
Remember the Barskis ... David is just a year older than my daughter, but Linda was a few years older.

Guessing you are around 53 ?

Just curious about Alan Hands. My daughter was friendly with a girl called Debbie Hands who lived/moved down Sparth Farm Estate ... her Grandma lived in Barnes Street just a little up from me .. Jessie. Was in the Barnes Square Concert Party with her .. unusual name, wondered if a relation. Think Debbie had a brother.
Hi there, yes your right, it was the same Danny Green....chrissy
Old 17-11-2009, 11:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Saintonian View Post
Yes Stanley Collier was Satch he used to live near The Castle pub if I remember correctly. Now then Mr. Gilmartin, any relation to Kevin Gilmartin? who lived on Lower Barnes Street near, John,Tony and Phil Demaine, I think! Geoffrey Williams lived down there too. Along with little Jimmy Whelan and his big sister Linda. Mind you anyone was bigger than Jimmy. Now back to Barnes street who remembers Harry Lifflys' the wallpaper/paint shop, had some trouble with him used to kick a ball against his garage on Pickup street and knock paint cans off inside, seems funny now. I thionk the archer was Barbara Fielding mind you the big claim to fame in Clayton was the cyclist on Whalley roa Simpson I think his name was, now he was a star! Best wishes all Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Me again......We lived next door but one to Harry and Joan Liffly. Always got our wall paper from there. Hes living on Milton street now. The Browns got the wallpaper shop later
Old 17-11-2009, 11:17   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Satch did live on one o them streets around the Castle somewhere, used to frequent the "Forts" n "Albion" mid 60s, always had a "Ratter" on his napper.
Yes your right, The Albion, what a pub, spent many a happy night in there....
Old 17-11-2009, 11:23   #45

Come on give us a clue, you know all the people who lived near us, who are you Sorry keep forgetting to tick the box. This message is for Oldsaintonian

Last edited by chrissy; 17-11-2009 at 11:25. Reason: forgot to tick the box
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..