Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2009, 22:12   #166
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accy Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Was talking to Jack today, he isn't from Clayton. He lived on Derby Street when he was married to Mary and now lives on Plantation Street.
theres 2 of em then bernie, the one i knew used to sup in the Forts Arms in early/mid 60s n lived down Clayton.
Old 19-09-2009, 22:37   #167
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
theres 2 of em then bernie, the one i knew used to sup in the Forts Arms in early/mid 60s n lived down Clayton.
Yep Jack said that but think the one I'm talking about is the right one. He did move to Australia
Old 20-09-2009, 00:10   #168
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Yep Jack said that but think the one I'm talking about is the right one. He did move to Australia
yer probably correct bernie, cos you know more respectable folk than me, one i knew was a very "Handy" lad.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:22   #169

There was a Danny Green, who lived behind the Forts Arms, he had a sister Patricia, ( Pat ) cant remember if there were any other sibblings though . Pat looked like Petula Clarke.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 12:37   #170

Yes Jack was very handy but unlike a few in Accrington in the early 60's he never looked for bother but neither did he run away from it, much to the discomfort to those that annoyed him.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 23:39   #171
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khigson View Post
Yes Jack was very handy but unlike a few in Accrington in the early 60's he never looked for bother but neither did he run away from it, much to the discomfort to those that annoyed him.
sounds very much like the guy i once knew.
Old 22-09-2009, 04:35   #172

Must stop looking at this site,after all its more thgan 50 years since I left Church and I did'nt think my memory would last that long - anyway I digress- Can anyone remeber "Betty Birtwistle (lived on or near Lyon St, Church) anyway Betty was what would be descibed as a good looking bird with legs that seemed to go on and on. Well Betty used to work in the office at Howard & Bulloughs,when she walked passed the Railway Good Yard Office all the Boys used to perve on her and drool, Betty was well aware of this, the boys did'nt know that we knew each other so when I waved she used to wave back much to th3e chagrin of others - those were the days - sorry but I'll have to go and have a lie down, just thinking about it has made my pace maker kick in and I've only a ferw more years life in the battery.
Old 27-09-2009, 18:15   #173
Junior Member+

Does anyone recall a lad that always used to be in the town centre wearing a jacket with "Adam and the Ants" on it - he always had his hair in a mohican! This was prob in the late 1970's - once Adam and the Ants became popular he stopped wearing the jacket!
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:04   #174
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Must stop looking at this site,after all its more thgan 50 years since I left Church and I did'nt think my memory would last that long - anyway I digress- Can anyone remeber "Betty Birtwistle (lived on or near Lyon St, Church) anyway Betty was what would be descibed as a good looking bird with legs that seemed to go on and on. Well Betty used to work in the office at Howard & Bulloughs,when she walked passed the Railway Good Yard Office all the Boys used to perve on her and drool, Betty was well aware of this, the boys did'nt know that we knew each other so when I waved she used to wave back much to th3e chagrin of others - those were the days - sorry but I'll have to go and have a lie down, just thinking about it has made my pace maker kick in and I've only a ferw more years life in the battery.
I think I remember her from the late '50s, my wife worked in the accounts office at H & B and used to walk to work with a good looking girl that lived nearby - we lived in Maden St then, Mum had the Confectioners Shop facing the clock.
Old 09-03-2010, 19:49   #175

Smile Re: Accy Characters

This is so funny! Betty Birtwistle is my auntie. She used to live at 65 Lion Street, Church, with my dad, Barth Birtwistle, and her sisters Maureen and Norma. Does anyone else remember the family or anything about my dad when he was younger? He went to Rhyddings School and always used to tell me that he was 'top boy' whatever that was.
Ginger Rascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 19:53   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Hi Keith

My auntie Betty (Birtwistle) is 81 now, living in Leeds and has never married, so I think you missed your way there! I understand from my mum that she was a bit of a stunner in Accrington, and I think she worked at the Odeon and always carried a posh umbrella. Do you remember her brother, Barth, who's my dad (died 1995)?

Sue O'Brien (nee Birtwistle)
Ginger Rascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 03:55   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Rascals View Post
Hi Keith

My auntie Betty (Birtwistle) is 81 now, living in Leeds and has never married, so I think you missed your way there! I understand from my mum that she was a bit of a stunner in Accrington, and I think she worked at the Odeon and always carried a posh umbrella. Do you remember her brother, Barth, who's my dad (died 1995)?

Sue O'Brien (nee Birtwistle)
Dear Sue, I don't thionk I remember your Dad "Barth" but I certainly remember Betty and her sisters. I lived in York St,Church. Your Aunty Betty was certainly a Stunner, shes about 8 years older than me . Please give her my regards and fond wishes. Keith
Old 22-03-2010, 22:14   #178

Hi Keith do remember you just looked at your photo. I think your Jean was nearer my age. I used to live near the Sacred Heart on Blackburn Road. Do you remember the Flynn family. Dad Charlie quite a character. I love in Australia now have been here for 42 years but coming HOME this year. I live in Coffs Harbour so not that far from you. Been reading all the nostalgia today about Uncle Dick and Sadie. Joe Morts etc. Went back in 2007 ?what happened. The market is not the same. No fish stalls or tripe barrows. Missed the smell of the bacon in Redman's. Things aint what they used to be.
Littlepom.
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 23:00   #179
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

good on yer littlepom, ya visiting or returning? much has changed especially your owd area, which i now reside in.
Old 23-03-2010, 08:01   #180
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneW View Post
Does anyone recall a lad that always used to be in the town centre wearing a jacket with "Adam and the Ants" on it - he always had his hair in a mohican! This was prob in the late 1970's - once Adam and the Ants became popular he stopped wearing the jacket!
I remember seeing him.

His jacket was black leather, and was painted with a white picture of Adam Ant, and the name of the band.

They were cutting edge at the time, quite cultish.

As you say, when the group became the biggest teeny pop band of the early eighties, he disappeared...or at least stopped wearing his jacket!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..