Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2008, 20:00   #211
Junior Member+

Re: do you remember.....?

When Broadway was a sunken garden, I used to sit with my mum and have an ice lollie from the cinema.
When the market was in Peel Street
The UCP Tripe shop on Blackburn Road
The New Era (when it first opened) and the dances
Holidays with the Youth Club (Austria)
Mods driving up and down Blackburn Road outside the Market hall
Sitting and listening to Radio Luxemburg on the bench at the bottom of Barnfield Street
Big Ben anyone know what that was??
motherhubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2008, 20:27   #212
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

BIG Ben was a bottle of ale brewed by Thwaites. a damn good un.
Old 17-03-2008, 21:16   #213

I remember a lot of the Accy stuff mentioned on here. I also used to sit on the 'big hill' on Barnfield st listening to radio Luxemburg. I also 'grew up' on number 1 stall and used to be one of the itinerants who frequented the copper kettle cafe I was 14 at the time. Lol
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 21:20   #214
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ah ya missed me debbiej i was "Grand Master" of the No1 Stall.
Old 17-03-2008, 22:42   #215

This Mod didnt have a car or a scooter in those days, spent too much money on clothes. It was always bus or train.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 22:47   #216
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
This Mod didnt have a car or a scooter in those days, spent too much money on clothes. It was always bus or train.
quite a few Mods did though Al,remember wrapping one or two of the long mirrors over the handlebars.
Old 18-03-2008, 07:05   #217
Junior Member+

I remember meeting others at the No 1 stall, a lot of the lads used to play snooker at the Elite club? think it was that. Used to sit for hours in the Blue Dahlia much to parents alarm. Copper kettle another haunt.
The walled area in front of the market hall was the deck where everyone met up at the weekend.
Used to frequent the pub that was where the old cinema used to be on Broadway, packed to the doors most nights, then up to the pub on Church Street or I think one at the bottom near the viaduct?
Old 18-03-2008, 07:33   #218
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
The walled area in front of the market hall was the deck where everyone met up at the weekend.
MH, there's a whole thread on this...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/deck-5355.html
Old 18-03-2008, 08:09   #219

OK then lets all met on the Deck. Another Saturday Night and I aint got nobody, got some money cause I just got paid, how I wish I had someone to talk to Im in an awful way.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 08:17   #220
Junior Member+

Anticipation of who you would see, hoping that it would not rain, making plans, new friends then new places a long way from home and very young, it seems like only yesterday.
Old 18-03-2008, 09:12   #221
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
OK then lets all met on the Deck. Another Saturday Night and I aint got nobody, got some money cause I just got paid, how I wish I had someone to talk to Im in an awful way.
yeh just made me dig me sam cooke single out Al.
Old 18-03-2008, 18:19   #222
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
I remember meeting others at the No 1 stall, a lot of the lads used to play snooker at the Elite club? think it was that. Used to sit for hours in the Blue Dahlia much to parents alarm. Copper kettle another haunt.
Used to frequent the pub that was where the old cinema used to be on Broadway, packed to the doors most nights, then up to the pub on Church Street or I think one at the bottom near the viaduct?
I used to mate out with the guy who ran the Dahlia, Jovani he was called, but everbody called him John, he actually took out British citezenship back in the seventes, haven't seen him for years now. The Pub on Church street was the Bridge is still there and the one near the viaduck was the Blockade it was a, either Sam or John Smiths house
Old 18-03-2008, 18:53   #223
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I used to mate out with the guy who ran the Dahlia, Jovani he was called, but everbody called him John, he actually took out British citezenship back in the seventes, haven't seen him for years now. The Pub on Church street was the Bridge is still there and the one near the viaduck was the Blockade it was a, either Sam or John Smiths house
Blockade was John Smiths, only Sam Smiths in Accy Centre was the Big Crown, Eddie n Joyce had the Blockade for many years 60s/70s the back room was well known for getting stoned in,.................... so they say
Old 18-03-2008, 21:43   #224
I am Banned

dont know if anyones mentioned it but do you remember what was Glynwebbs being asda ?
My mum used to say it was really small and packed and seemingly cheap at the time
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 21:46   #225
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
dont know if anyones mentioned it but do you remember what was Glynwebbs being asda ?
My mum used to say it was really small and packed and seemingly cheap at the time

i sort of remember when it was asda, you had to go up a slope to get into the actual shopping bit....i think

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..