Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2008, 21:47   #151

Re: Soft Mick.

Hi guys n guyesses,
just joined and had to go straight to this thread.

Absolute class ...memories come a flooding back like a sackful of black puddings

Mard was always pertaining to soft or chicken ...As in "Don't be so Mard and stop Scrikin' ....correct spelling of Scriking ?
Agate ...my Mam! ...used it all the time eg..."She's agate ..."sod off" ...and he's agate ..."I will then!" ...as in She was saying or doing..... But ...so I am led to believe ....here we go..
Lots of towns have streets or areas named Petersgate ...or hillgate or billingsgate ...although they had no gates!! ... apparently gate refers to ... "The WAy to or walk to ....so hillgate is the 'walk up' or walk to' the hill, and is a direct transposition from Gait ...or way of walking/ stance. ...so imagine someone describing the way that charlie chaplin walks...with a bandy legged impersonation...and saying ..."Charlie was agate .." ...it all seems to make sense ish
My parents often said ether "soft as Mick" .. as in very wimpy.... AND used the phrases like "More money than soft Mick" ...are these 2 related?? dunno

Layores for meddlers .. I feel might refer to 'Lures for Meddlers' as in Traps for meddlers (cheats, interferers or burglars) ...things set in motion that people should not know about...'less said' etc.

'Skenn Eyed git' ...always remember that after missing an open goal!
"
"Christ church up Heaton Norris" (instead of uttering just 'Christ') probably a Stockport reference there!

Also if you drank like a fish ...you were a 'slutch pump' I assume something like a dredger ...pumping slutch from a river ??
and why when we were suprised ...did we go to the 'foot of our stairs' ?
gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2008, 21:54   #152

oh ...and I forgot ....who was Mrs Bocking???
as in my mother always used to say -if something was out of the ordinary ...
..."Shocking, Mrs Bocking"
gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 00:30   #153

This thread made me giggle, even more so when I just called my daughter a "gormless mornin" Where did that come from? My dad was very broad and I seem to have picked it up from him. My son speaks the same way now and he's only 20. My grandma (from Rishton) used to say people were "pots for rags" this is another one I still come out with lol.
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:08   #154
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
My grandma (from Rishton) used to say people were "pots for rags" this is another one I still come out with lol.
That reminds me of another thing I used to hear, 'pots for bluebells', meaning someone was daft.

They both probably come from rag and bone men, though getting new pots for a bunch of bluebells seems a good deal.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23   #155

I have loved reading this thread, as with others here it brought back loads of memories.
I am originally from Eccles in Manchester and we used most of the terms that have been remembered here. As well as Soft Mick, we have Soft Ned, we used skrike, like crying her/his eyes out. Mardy meant somebody who cried all the time. Put t'wood int'h t'hole was always used. Dimp was a cigarette end that you 'pecked' and put in your pocket! "Dad have you got any dimps?" We also had Argie Bargie, and we all know thats an argument or loud discussion.
There are millions of them, but the most popular one in our house was, Put kettle on mother! regardless of who you were asking to make a cuppa.
Bonny x
bonny_tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 21:02   #156
Passed away 25-11-09

A fast-declining dialect, more's the pity.

I once got told off by my mother for saying "I was agate" at home. It was not acceptable in our house but my dad used to say "Making Layo'ers for medlars" in response to "What are you doing, dad?". As explained in another thread, some time ago, I believe it refers to nets laid over medlar pears.

"Mard" was a word we used and, amongst my friends, the expression "Pots for jamjars" was used for an idiot and we all knew what "skriking" meant.

The bad-tempered were referred to as being "crammed" or "nowty" and our elderly next-door neighbour would call anyone whose honesty was a bit suspect an "ill 'un".
Old 02-08-2008, 22:15   #157
God Member

what did " I'm reet fair clemmed" mean ?, did it mean you were hungry, or you were cold , can't remember
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 23:24   #158
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
what did " I'm reet fair clemmed" mean ?, did it mean you were hungry, or you were cold , can't remember
thanks
Clammed, well that's how I heared it pronounced, with an 'a', means very hungry.

Old 02-08-2008, 23:29   #159
Give, give, give member

Quote:
thanks
Just found this, so you are right.

In the Black Country clammed means hungry or cold.

God knows where it's derived from, as clam chowdrer isn't a typical Lancastrian, or Brumie fare.

BBC - Black Country Features - Black Country dialect

Old 03-08-2008, 06:00   #160
God Member

Yep gallant.. I recall "skeen eyed" i took it as "bog eyed".. anyone heard of "kack handed" I think the slang is meaning the person is useless with both hands ?..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 00:22   #161

Everyone I knew in Atherton used "Soft Mick", and most of us were Irish. Usually it was something like, "He's got more money than "Soft Mick" There was also a pub in Tyldesley (forget the name now) but all the adults called it Skenning Bob's, or, Skenny-eyed Bob's, and Bob was cross-eyed.
Callert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44   #162
God Member

Theres a row of terraced houses in Arrod (Gt. Harwood ) locally known as Skenning Row , think its Railway Terrace, from the front all looks normal , but you open the front door and all the lobbies and rooms are about 10/15° off center to the left , all the rooms are like parallelograms, a strange situation to be in after a few drinks .

(and before Cashy or South Aussie chip in , yep I know us Arroders have a reputation for being a bit strange)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:03   #163
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callert View Post
Everyone I knew in Atherton used "Soft Mick", and most of us were Irish. Usually it was something like, "He's got more money than "Soft Mick" There was also a pub in Tyldesley (forget the name now) but all the adults called it Skenning Bob's, or, Skenny-eyed Bob's, and Bob was cross-eyed.
Used to go in Skenning Bob's, my other half lives in Tyldesley
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06   #164
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Theres a row of terraced houses in Arrod (Gt. Harwood ) locally known as Skenning Row , think its Railway Terrace, from the front all looks normal , but you open the front door and all the lobbies and rooms are about 10/15° off center to the left , all the rooms are like parallelograms, a strange situation to be in after a few drinks .

(and before Cashy or South Aussie chip in , yep I know us Arroders have a reputation for being a bit strange)
A bit strange
Old 26-05-2010, 19:46   #165
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
agate was also said in burnley ,and does anybody know who skenning emma was ,?? they said that like dellboy would say gordon bennett,i have visions of some poor girl with jam jar bottomed glasses
Ged away wy thi its skenning Martha.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..