Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2013, 08:07   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: When is the 2nd Coming - Coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Just a slight interjection with regard to the bible. At the start of the thread the bible was held up to be the word of god, it is far from that, it is in fact comprised of contributions from 40 authors.

The bible came into existence when the council of Nicaea set about compiling gospels to unite the Christians with a single book. Emperor Constantine (274-337) (emperor from 306-337) ordered it to search out and include all the gospels that supported and professed to be the word of god. Its interesting that the gospel according to Judas wasn't included.

So the bible is 66 gospels by 40 authors, compiled and turned into one book in the year 325 ad, that is 325 years after the man called Jesus was walking the earth. So it is not the word of god, but the word of 40 people who wrote gospels over a period of 1500 years, hence the old and new testaments.

I write this not to say definitively whether god exists or not, just to correct the statement that the bible is the word of god, and if people knock on your door saying it is, then they are starting with a lie.

Right thats all I can manage for now, all this serious stuff gives me a bout of giddiness
At this stage you usually go and lie down in a dark room Dave
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2013, 09:09   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
question I ask my dad and then he asks the rather silly question about the chicken/egg
If you ask that question then you haven't understood evolution, but that is a whole new thread.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:10   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
At this stage you usually go and lie down in a dark room Dave
Thats when I get a full head of steam up along with my dander, it hasn't occurred yet on this thread.
Old 20-04-2013, 11:10   #64
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
. Well who made god ?
In the churning, bubbling, seething, mass which was the primordial soup of life, the early pondlife ganged up together to produce the first proto-amphibian, who decided that swilling round in your own muck was pretty yucky & as such growing a pair of legs & getting out of the gloop seemed like a damned fine idea.

So it came to be that the first homunculus set foot on solid ground, going forth & meeting other like minded homunculi & thereby forming loose social groups to better advance their cause, proliferate the species, exchange ideas & just generally evolve (all the while staying dry & far from the cess pool that spawned them) .

As with any gathering tales are told & myths exchanged & when asked about origin rather that admit to being the result of pond life getting a life so to speak, an omnipresent & omnipotent super being was credited as being the source of all creation. Thereby early man was learning to pass the buck & inaugurate the rise of the political classes, leaving behind those less inclined to lies & perfidy to become the common folk (which by the way are further sub divided into other groups, but that is a lecture for another day.)

Did this answer help you?
kestrelx and Stevie R like this.
Old 20-04-2013, 11:48   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
In the churning, bubbling, seething, mass which was the primordial soup of life, the early pondlife ganged up together to produce the first proto-amphibian, who decided that swilling round in your own muck was pretty yucky & as such growing a pair of legs & getting out of the gloop seemed like a damned fine idea.

So it came to be that the first homunculus set foot on solid ground, going forth & meeting other like minded homunculi & thereby forming loose social groups to better advance their cause, proliferate the species, exchange ideas & just generally evolve (all the while staying dry & far from the cess pool that spawned them) .

As with any gathering tales are told & myths exchanged & when asked about origin rather that admit to being the result of pond life getting a life so to speak, an omnipresent & omnipotent super being was credited as being the source of all creation. Thereby early man was learning to pass the buck & inaugurate the rise of the political classes, leaving behind those less inclined to lies & perfidy to become the common folk (which by the way are further sub divided into other groups, but that is a lecture for another day.)

Did this answer help you?
It wasn't really a question I wanted and answer to, more a thought provoker for those inclined to knock and evangelise on my doorstep, but thanks for the effort.
I have questioned the religious things that are taught and people have accepted without thinking if they are true, or just indoctrinated into. Religion has had over 2000 years to get its story right, but still bases its foundations on information that is not correct, I think lies is not the right word, as a lie is saying something that is not true, whereas repeating what you have been told is true is not directly a lie.
Emperor Constantine, who was Roman, started the foundation for religion and its teachings that are present today, and it is no surprise that the Roman empire did not cease to exist, it merely morphed into the Catholic Church.
But I like the thoery that I started my journey as glob of goo.
Old 20-04-2013, 12:02   #66
God Member

Quote:

A question they wont or can't answer, when they say, in the beginning there was nothing, and god made the heaven and the earth. Well who made god ?

a dog walked past a mirror and thats how god was created
Sunflower49 likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:04   #67
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
It wasn't really a question I wanted and answer to,

That's good Dave, because I had no intention of seriously answering.

Yeah, me too, there's something inherently basic, honest & earthy about being a dollop of something unidentifiable.
Old 20-04-2013, 12:05   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
When you think about it that's pretty much how you'll end it as well.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:11   #69
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
When you think about it that's pretty much how you'll end it as well.
Well yeah, as long as some nuclear rocket owning loony doesn't get there first, because then it'll be more a sort of crispy, crunchy, frazzled experience if not outright vaporization.
Old 20-04-2013, 12:33   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you ask that question then you haven't understood evolution, but that is a whole new thread.
Evolution explains it, but how did the potential for evolution come into place - how did that come about - there are massive gaps in our knowledge about this? Some Christians believed that the earth was created by the Devil and it was the devil who created sex and animals and so on - and the way to get back to god was to thrash yourself on a daily basis.

Last edited by kestrelx; 20-04-2013 at 12:37.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:40   #71
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Evolution explains it, but how did the potential for evolution come into place - how did that come about - there are massive gaps in our knowledge about this? Some Christians believed that the earth was created by the Devil and it was the devil who created sex and animals and so on - and the way to get back to god was to thrash yourself on a daily basis.
For you there are plenty of gaps and very little knowledge!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:42   #72
JFT96

Quote:
the way to get back to god was to thrash yourself on a daily basis.
Some people feel the need to employ Mistresses like Cynthia Payne or even some of Heidi Fliess's girls to administer beatings

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:43   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
the way to get back to god was to thrash yourself on a daily basis.
If there's ever a day you don't feel up to it give me a shout- I'll gladly help out.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:45   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
If there's ever a day you don't feel up to it give me a shout- I'll gladly help out.
But I don't believe in god mate - so I don't partake in such activities!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:47   #75
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Emperor Constantine, who was Roman, started the foundation for religion and its teachings that are present today, and it is no surprise that the Roman empire did not cease to exist, it merely morphed into the Catholic Church.
Isn't he the one that became a Christian for political reasons as an attempt to unify the Roman empire?
I seem to have read/seen a documentary, his mum was keen on the idea as well, let's get everything under one roof it will be easier to rule that way.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..