Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2013, 10:09   #196
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: When is the 2nd Coming - Coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I can only assume that gents who prefer virgins are the ones whose technique is so abysmal that they do not want to be compared unfavourably with others who 'came' (sorry - pun ) before them.

There is a trend amongst younger men to prefer older women (cougars) who can teach them the ropes.
Ah but i didn't say i prefer em, but i do like the novelty which around here it certainly is.
Restless likes this.
Old 27-04-2013, 10:14   #197
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ah but i didn't say i prefer em, but i do like the novelty which around here it certainly is.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 10:20   #198
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Was just a bit of gentle fun...but since you opened the can..

Wogan (who himself is a lightweight 'luvvie' interviewer and really should be taken with a pinch of salt), apologised for publicly taking the mick, not for disbelieving him.

Hitler filled halls and stadia, so did Take That, the Spice Girls and Justin Bieber are you seriously trying to argue that because someone can fill a stadium it means they have something worthwhile to say?
He's charismatic and knows how to work an audience..this does not mean that he has anything worthwhile to say, it just means that he knows how to get applause and the occasional cheer...then again so can an average comedian at a dingy working mens club on a saturday night.

Who am I to say....I'm a free thinker who uses logic and rationality, as opposed to the muppets and sheep who blindly hang on to his every word...which is kinda ironic since he himself claims anyone who doesn't agree with him are sheep following the populist ideals.
Weii, After watching the Wigan clip of David Icke I think I'm now a Belieber !!
Old 27-04-2013, 10:22   #199
Full Member+

Sorry, slip of the hand, should be Wogan. Damned predictive text again.
Old 27-04-2013, 10:48   #200
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There is a trend amongst younger men to prefer older women (cougars) who can teach them the ropes.
Think you'll find that it's more a case of gullibility than rope handling, knowing their looks are fading some older women will buy the BS spouted by some young lothario if only to feel needed & wanted, were as to our mattress matador it's just another one to boast about in the Pub.
Old 27-04-2013, 11:41   #201
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Wish someone could explain to me,what or how can yeh have a "Virgin Birth"?
I don't think anyone can explain it to you , Cashman .

By demonstration I can explain to you how a creature from the sea and vegetables out of the earth can become a plate of fish and chips with mushy peas .

It will take some time and patience for someone to explain to me how by the click of a button this post within an instant is going to be able to be read throughout most of the world . My technology skills and scientific knowledge are so poor that it will take a very patient and skillful teacher to explain it to me , but I think that it can be done .

As for the Virgin Birth of Jesus , we are in a totally different realm which is outside of our normal contexts of space and time . And there is so much that has to be presupposed before a start can be made in explaining it , and the explanation will be in a language more akin to poetry than prose . Jesus said : " I am the truth . " If that basic presupposition is not accepted , then any explanation is not going to be possible .

In the words of C.S. Lewis : " A man who said the sort of things Jesus said , well this man is the Son of God , or else a madman , or something worse . You must make your choice . "

So it comes down to one's own convictions , and many within Christianity accept much of what they see as the truth of Jesus , but they will argue about things such as the Virgin Birth , certain miracles etc. So it can be complicated or for some quite simple . I envy the latter . I am one who has to question everything , who believes an element of agnosticism is no bad thing , and it can be a struggle . But in the end I keep coming back to certain convictions and make the choice to believe . That's when the real battle begins because I have then to live by the challenges my beliefs put before me , or be a hypocrite .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:44   #202
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What makes me smile more than anything is this thing that Muslim martyrs believe, that killing themselves in the name of Allah, the reward is 72 virgins and Rivers of honey, that should tell any would be candidates its a bit of a misnomer especially the 72 virgins bit
How did these so called virgins manage to stay virgins long enough to get to the place where these martyrs are gonna end up. I think some bodies telling porkies, and these martyrs are too gullible to rationalise whats being told them.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:10   #203
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

By demonstration I can explain to you how a creature from the sea and vegetables out of the earth can become a plate of fish and chips with mushy peas .

It will take some time and patience for someone to explain to me how by the click of a button this post within an instant is going to be able to be read throughout most of the world . My technology skills and scientific knowledge are so poor that it will take a very patient and skillful teacher to explain it to me , but I think that it can be done .

As for the Virgin Birth of Jesus , we are in a totally different realm which is outside of our normal contexts of space and time . And there is so much that has to be presupposed before a start can be made in explaining it , and the explanation will be in a language more akin to poetry than prose . Jesus said : " I am the truth . " If that basic presupposition is not accepted , then any explanation is not going to be possible .

In the words of C.S. Lewis : " A man who said the sort of things Jesus said , well this man is the Son of God , or else a madman , or something worse . You must make your choice . "

So it comes down to one's own convictions , and many within Christianity accept much of what they see as the truth of Jesus , but they will argue about things such as the Virgin Birth , certain miracles etc. So it can be complicated or for some quite simple . I envy the latter . I am one who has to question everything , who believes an element of agnosticism is no bad thing , and it can be a struggle . But in the end I keep coming back to certain convictions and make the choice to believe . That's when the real battle begins because I have then to live by the challenges my beliefs put before me , or be a hypocrite .
I just don't believe it! Why bother having a birth at all? If god sent down his only "son" then why bother coming through a womans body? Why not just manifest with out that hassle of sitting in a womb for 9 months or what ever length of time he was supposed to be in it for?

You can try and explain this from a scientific point of view if you can seriously believe this or just accept the concept is ridiculous.

It is easy to explain how fish and chips got to be fish and chips - as it is to explain the "so-called" virgin birth.

Fact is when Millions of people believe in a load of fantasy then you get these people blowing themselves up and doing nasty things to others in the name of their "illusionary" gods.

Last edited by kestrelx; 27-04-2013 at 13:13.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:17   #204
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

Virtually all religions hold some supernatural beliefs specific to that religion. That is, a religions adherents firmly hold beliefs that conflict with and cannot be confirmed by our experience of the natural world, and that appear implausible to people other than those adherents to that particular religion. No other feature of religion creates a bigger divide between modern secular peoples and believers.
Stevie R likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:30   #205
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I just don't believe it! Why bother having a birth at all? If god sent down his only "son" then why bother coming through a womans body? Why not just manifest with out that hassle of sitting in a womb for 9 months or what ever length of time he was supposed to be in it for?

You can try and explain this from a scientific point of view if you can seriously believe this or just accept the concept is ridiculous.

It is easy to explain how fish and chips got to be fish and chips - as it is to explain the "so-called" virgin birth.

Fact is when Millions of people believe in a load of fantasy then you get these people blowing themselves up and doing nasty things to others in the name of their "illusionary" gods.
One word......Faith.......believing the unbelievable(which, those who have no faith, will refer to as fantasy).
Man is arrogant to think he can explain away everything by scientific methods.......faith defies science.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:41   #206
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Wii, After watching the Wigan clip of David Icke I think I'm now a Belieber !!
You mean you've wasted 9 minutes of your precious life watching that whack job, thought you'd more oil in your lamp that that WEL
westendlass likes this.
Old 27-04-2013, 13:45   #207
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
How did these so called virgins manage to stay virgins long enough to get to the place where these martyrs are gonna end up. I think some bodies telling porkies, and these martyrs are too gullible to rationalise whats being told them.
Well its those good God fearing Muslim men who groom young white girls to save the hoards of virgins for the hereafter what does it Walter
Old 27-04-2013, 13:46   #208
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
One word......Faith.......believing the unbelievable(which, those who have no faith, will refer to as fantasy).
Man is arrogant to think he can explain away everything by scientific methods.......faith defies science.
Well your namesake will have the answer Margaret and a link to go with it no doubt
Old 27-04-2013, 16:07   #209
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What makes me smile more than anything is this thing that Muslim martyrs believe, that killing themselves in the name of Allah, the reward is 72 virgins and Rivers of honey, that should tell any would be candidates its a bit of a misnomer especially the 72 virgins bit
its a mistranslation it turns out they get 72 virginians

most likely get beat up in their after life for been murdering bastards
susie123 and westendlass like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:42   #210
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
To give us the pleasure of spendijg loadsa money once a year on useess tat and masses of food to celebrate his birthday then we can all be in debt for the rest of the year before we start again. See, God invented the credit crunch to keep him self amused.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..