Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2008, 12:22   #121
Give, give, give member

Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

'The following year, Ross appeared at the British Comedy Awards, where he joked his salary meant he was "worth 1,000 BBC journalists".
The comment was made at a particularly delicate time as the BBC had just announced it was to make more than 2,000 members of staff redundant.'

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | The ups and downs of Ross' career

That just about sums up the arrogance that comes about with golden handcuff contracts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2008, 12:25   #122
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'The following year, Ross appeared at the British Comedy Awards, where he joked his salary meant he was "worth 1,000 BBC journalists".
The comment was made at a particularly delicate time as the BBC had just announced it was to make more than 2,000 members of staff redundant.'

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | The ups and downs of Ross' career

That just about sums up the arrogance that comes about with golden handcuff contracts.
Very true. They should have just sacked the one instead!
Old 31-10-2008, 13:33   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I don't think anyone has said their actions were acceptable, I certainly don't think so. I do think that the only person with any right to be angry at Brand & Ross is Andrew Sachs. For if it wasn't for the people that commissioned the airing of the recording, no one would have heard it except Mr Sachs and he wouldn't have been served such a public humiliation.
true some haven't said their actions were acceptable, nor have some said they were not, more tried to deflect the issue to the career of the grandaughter, n said give the lads a break,well that don't wash wi me, the fact is,these two were at "Work" therefore the action amounts to "Gross Misconduct" which is punishable by "Instant Dismissal" simple as. or do you think so called stars should be exempt from normal procedure? cos i don't. also its more than likely,this would have been a police matter if it was you or i that had done similar.still they are highly paid stars.
Old 31-10-2008, 13:59   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
true some haven't said their actions were acceptable, nor have some said they were not, more tried to deflect the issue to the career of the grandaughter, n said give the lads a break,well that don't wash wi me, the fact is,these two were at "Work" therefore the action amounts to "Gross Misconduct" which is punishable by "Instant Dismissal" simple as. or do you think so called stars should be exempt from normal procedure? cos i don't. also its more than likely,this would have been a police matter if it was you or i that had done similar.still they are highly paid stars.
Excellent post, Cashy....karma sent.
Old 31-10-2008, 14:12   #125
God Member

Quote:
also its more than likely,this would have been a police matter if it was you or i that had done similar.still they are highly paid stars.
It certainly would have been a police matter, which makes what they did a criminal act. Now, because one of the culprits is still in the employ of the BBC (albeit under a temporary,tax break suspension) that makes the BBC a criminal organisation. Which means that everyone now has both a moral and a legal obligation not to fund them. So no more TV license! Whoopee!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 14:13   #126
God Member

Quote:
They were acting idiotically and were most certainly in the wrong. But the buck stops with the people who allowed the recording to be aired, not Brand and Ross. Sachs would not have suffered the public humiliation that he did if not for those that commissioned the programme.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 14:18   #127
God Member

Quote:
They were acting idiotically and were most certainly in the wrong. But the buck stops with the people who allowed the recording to be aired, not Brand and Ross. Sachs would not have suffered the public humiliation that he did if not for those that commissioned the programme.

Rubbish! The programme commissioner is undoubtedly partly to blame but please don't try to put it onto someone else when Brand and Ross made the calls, said what they said and found it amusing to do so.

Everybody has a sense of what is right and wrong in them - surely even they could tell that what they were doing was wrong and they shouldn't be doing it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 14:44   #128
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Rubbish! The programme commissioner is undoubtedly partly to blame but please don't try to put it onto someone else when Brand and Ross made the calls, said what they said and found it amusing to do so.
The calls were wrong. We can all agree on that. However, Sachs would not have suffered the public humiliation that he did if the people who commissioned the program had binned the tapes. It was their responsibility. Anyone with any sense can see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Everybody has a sense of what is right and wrong in them - surely even they could tell that what they were doing was wrong and they shouldn't be doing it.
Did I debate the fact that their actions were wrong? No.
Old 31-10-2008, 14:45   #129
God Member

[quote=shakermaker;646103]
Quote:
Rubbish! The programme commissioner is undoubtedly partly to blame but please don't try to put it onto someone else when Brand and Ross made the calls, said what they said and found it amusing to do so.quote]

The calls were wrong. We can all agree on that. However, Sachs would not have suffered the public humiliation that he did if the people who commissioned the program had binned the tapes. It was their responsibility. Anyone with any sense can see that.

Did I debate the fact that their actions were wrong? No.

So if someone posted on here private details about your life, who would you be cross with - the person with the grudge or the mods?

Old 31-10-2008, 14:46   #130
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Of course - if the call was illegal than how can the programme producer be held responsible? They were responsible for broadcasting the programme and should be punished for it.
Old 31-10-2008, 14:49   #131
God Member

It's not even a matter of debate, it's fact. Had the commissioners binned the tapes, fifty people maximum would have known the event had taken place. They didn't. They allowed the programme to be aired - even though Sachs told them not to air it - and the following weeks gutter rags displayed pictures of his grandaughter in the buff with sordid tales of sexual adventures with Brand.

But yes, of course, the people who commissioned the airing of the programme are only partly to blame.
Old 31-10-2008, 14:52   #132
God Member

Quote:
So if someone posted on here private details about your life, who would you be cross with - the person with the grudge or the mods?
That's a silly analogy that doesn't even work. The people who commissioned the airing of the programme made a conscious decision to ignore Sachs' instruction against the programmes airing. Moderators on here wouldn't have chance to do that. Only to delete remarks after they had gone live.
Old 31-10-2008, 15:00   #133
God Member

Quote:
That's a silly analogy that doesn't even work. The people who commissioned the airing of the programme made a conscious decision to ignore Sachs' instruction against the programmes airing. Moderators on here wouldn't have chance to do that. Only to delete remarks after they had gone live.

Hardly silly! The person in question would have posted the info just like Brand and Ross made the call.

It doesn't matter how many people know about it - it matters what was done and who did it.

I'm blaming Brand/Ross and the commissioner equally - not dumping all the blame on her for allowing it to go to air.

Old 31-10-2008, 15:13   #134
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
It's not even a matter of debate, it's fact. Had the commissioners binned the tapes, fifty people maximum would have known the event had taken place.
And what punishment should have been handed out to those that made the call by the BBC?
Old 31-10-2008, 15:19   #135
God Member

Quote:
Hardly silly! The person in question would have posted the info just like Brand and Ross made the call.
That's exactly where the similarities end. Which makes it silly.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how many people know about it - it matters what was done and who did it.
Again that's quite silly. His brazen hussy () of a grandaughter wouldn't have been plastered across the tabloids humiliating him if the tapes were binned. Of course the calls would have still been incredibly offensive to him and absolutely wrong, but the public humiliation wouldn't have occurred.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..