Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 20:22   #331
Senior Member+

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

It might be a daft idea, but as opinion is running high why don't we as accy web offer to sponsor the cost of replacing the benches. I'm sure that we could get a small brass plaque saying supplied by accy web. If we all gave a small amount it shouldn't cost anyone that much. Unless this is not really about the benches at all, or that people believe that the council should supply and do everything.

Just a thought!
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2011, 20:47   #332
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
It might be a daft idea, but as opinion is running high why don't we as accy web offer to sponsor the cost of replacing the benches. I'm sure that we could get a small brass plaque saying supplied by accy web. If we all gave a small amount it shouldn't cost anyone that much. Unless this is not really about the benches at all, or that people believe that the council should supply and do everything.

Just a thought!

hbc would then have to approve planning permission for us to place them there
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 20:49   #333
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Quite agree, there are laws governing & controlling this type of anti social behaviour but they aren't being adequately & vigorously applied. I'm pretty sure that if I did some kind of anti social behaviour over here the GCP (German Plod) would have some rather pertinent comments to make backed up with a rap from his truncheon & if I continued the belligerence it'd be guns & cuffs & off to the pokey to reflect on my errant ways.
Quite sure they would, Dave. Thing is, I've sat in Piccadilly Gardens and watched the cops swoop on those unwise enough to partake of booze. They don't arrest 'em, just take a note of their details and take the booze off 'em. Why can't they do that in Accy?
Old 04-11-2011, 20:52   #334
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
hbc would then have to approve planning permission for us to place them there
Not if H.B.C placed them there on our behalf. It's classed as street furniture and not a permanent item so I don't think planning law applies. But I don't know for sure
Old 04-11-2011, 20:56   #335
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
why don't we as accy web offer to sponsor the cost of replacing the benches.
Think you've missed the point Dave, it's not so much the removal of the benches it's the reasoning behind the removal that's the issue.

Benches for public-dossers using them upsetting public-Council removes benches ergo problem of dossers resolved-no benches, no dossers- seemples !

Net result, genuine user punished due to blanket approach used to deter the problem. The problem still remains only elsewhere, it's like drawing the curtains so you don't see the mucky weather outside, no real resolution.
Old 04-11-2011, 21:05   #336
Senior Member+

Quote:
Think you've missed the point Dave, it's not so much the removal of the benches it's the reasoning behind the removal that's the issue.

Benches for public-dossers using them upsetting public-Council removes benches ergo problem of dossers resolved-no benches, no dossers- seemples !

Net result, genuine user punished due to blanket approach used to deter the problem. The problem still remains only elsewhere, it's like drawing the curtains so you don't see the mucky weather outside, no real resolution.
Think you are right, I missed it by a mile, I thought they were removed due to damage or age.
I must be spending too much time in my darkened room.
Old 04-11-2011, 21:10   #337
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Why can't they do that in Accy?
Lack of determination ? No desire to see things through regardless how unpleasant ? No interest (doesn't fit targets) ? Avoidance of confrontation ?

Yet your plastic plod or even proper plod are keen enough to pick up "soft targets" it seems.
Old 04-11-2011, 21:16   #338
Super Moderator

Quote:
Lack of determination ? No desire to see things through regardless how unpleasant ? No interest (doesn't fit targets) ? Avoidance of confrontation ?

Yet your plastic plod or even proper plod are keen enough to pick up "soft targets" it seems.
I may be wrong here, but I think there's a CCTV system in the town centre. So why can't those who monitor it tip off the feds when they see the lowlives start on the booze? Cops swoop on the miscreants and nab their booze, before they have a chance to drink it. Seems simple enough to me.
Old 04-11-2011, 21:19   #339
Senior Member+

i know in burnley there are security officers employed to patrol the market square to solve similar issues why not here?
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 21:28   #340
Senior Member+

Quote:
I may be wrong here, but I think there's a CCTV system in the town centre. So why can't those who monitor it tip off the feds when they see the lowlives start on the booze? Cops swoop on the miscreants and nab their booze, before they have a chance to drink it. Seems simple enough to me.
This has been reported to the Police on many occasions...from as early as 8.30am...the Police come and move them on...whilst sharing a joke with the plebs!!...The cycle then carry's on! If this happened in Spain they'd be chucked in the back of a van, probably get a good thump, & spend several hours or days in the clink...but apparently we are more understanding!...Works doesn't it!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 21:32   #341
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
This has been reported to the Police on many occasions...from as early as 8.30am...the Police come and move them on...whilst sharing a joke with the plebs!!...The cycle then carry's on! If this happened in Spain they'd be chucked in the back of a van, probably get a good thump, & spend several hours or days in the clink...but apparently we are more understanding!...Works doesn't it!

Best Regards - Taggy
Thats quite true Taggy, Human Rights dont extend much to criminals in the costas.
Old 04-11-2011, 21:32   #342
Super Moderator

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
This isn't a national thing, though. The police take a firm line with 'em in other towns in the UK. I've seen it with my own eyes. If it's a no alcohol zone, why aren't the police confiscating their booze? Have the council talked to the cops about this?
Old 04-11-2011, 21:38   #343
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Just a thought!
There are already benches, and no need for new ones.

They were removed, and presumably being stored somewhere safe.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 21:40   #344
Senior Member+

Quote:
This isn't a national thing, though. The police take a firm line with 'em in other towns in the UK. I've seen it with my own eyes. If it's a no alcohol zone, why aren't the police confiscating their booze? Have the council talked to the cops about this?
I'm honestly not so sure that's true these days to be honest!...You only have to look at the news or read papers to see this situation happening in many places...well in many places that don't really matter to the political powers that be should i say!..Basically what i'm saying is that Hyndburn is a dead hole these days as are many..predominantly Northern towns...if we don't matter to them....then they don't give a fig about us!....Its ultimately about resourses & appathy!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 21:46   #345
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
I wonder if some nearby charity could be pursuaded to turn the backyard of one of their many properties into a nice lttle beer garden for them?

Comfy bench seating, smoking shelter, a few plants, room to act the fool. All fully enclosed.

Save their legs too.

Hard work.

The journey from wherever in the town centre, to Abbey Street.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..