Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26   #226
God Member

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The regrettable obvious answer would be for people to stop giving them money .

So is it a local council decision or a Lancashire County Council decision to demolish Abbey St ?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34   #227
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No, you didn't make that clear at all.

You posted it was a 'joint decision, influenced by the police'.

Now we know. Thank you.

Though I do feel if someone did have the gumption to say who was reponsible, we could have tried to rectify this weeks ago, by contacting the right person, directly.
So I name a councillor who has been involved and this is not a big enough clue?

Naming someone on a public forum is not being clear?

By your own admission she was named in The Accrington Observer in connection with this topic and I have stated several times that she has been involved.

Short of some huge neon Pythonesque arrow pointing at Clare's desk, how much clearer would you like it making that she has been part of the discussions about this?

It is little wonder she hasn't posted a reply on this thread, you can't even decipher plain English.

Despite everything I've said about collective discussions, it seems you are determined to find a scapegoat.

Good luck to you.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44   #228
Give, give, give member

Quote:

By your own admission she was named in The Accrington Observer in connection with this topic and I have stated several times that she has been involved.

Short of some huge neon Pythonesque arrow pointing at Clare's desk, how much clearer would you like it making that she has been part of the discussions about this?

It is little wonder she hasn't posted a reply on this thread, you can't even decipher plain English.

Despite everything I've said about collective discussions, it seems you are determined to find a scapegoat.

Good luck to you.
Ken, trust me.

To every single Accy Web member, not hindered by wearing politial blinkers, it wasn't made clear at all, as to who was responsible.

Clare Pritchard was quoted in the press, and subsequent posts clearly stated that it wasn't her decision.

Thankfully, we've eventually been told the correct information,

Although still not happy, and I won't be until the benches are returned, I'm at least happy we can contact the person most likely help have them brought back.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:48   #229
Give, give, give member

...though even though this issue might now be resolved, I'm still waiting for the list of neighbouring towns, who charge a fee to sit on their benches, so as I can avoid ever going there.

Be handy to know, now you're finally in the mood to share useful information.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:58   #230
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Ken, trust me.

To every single Accy Web member, not hindered by wearing politial blinkers, it wasn't made clear at all, as to who was responsible.

Clare Pritchard was quoted in the press, and subsequent posts clearly stated that it wasn't her decision.

Thankfully, we've eventually been told the correct information,

Although still not happy, and I won't be until the benches are returned, I'm at least happy we can contact the person most likely help have them brought back.
Am I to assume from this reply that you are now identifying Clare as the person responsible for making the decision, despite the fact that I have told you she did not make the decision?

I have been involved in discussions about various matters since coming to the council, from the Royal Wedding celebrations to the council's Cycle To Work scheme yet I haven't made the ultimate decision on a single one of them.

You're beginning to sound like one of the word-twisting politicians you rail against.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00   #231
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's odd really.

Time.

Especially when regarding politicans.

It doesn't seem two minutes since I was posting my distress, at one or other, of the stupid things the council were doing, or planning to do.

Then I was labelled by a few as a 'Labour apologist'. Probably because the council happened to be run by the Tories at the time.

Indeed I got many gleeful messages of support from various Labour councillors, encouraging me to carry on my good work at highlighting various issues.

Now, a mere six months later, dare to criticise a ludicrous decision, and we have a Labour councillor posting that we're all 'doomsayers'.

Well Ken, I can only speak for myself, and not every other single person who's posted their opposition to these benches being removed, but my opinion isn't in the slightest bit politically motivated.

Selfish? Yes, I'll hold my hands up.

I, like others, appreciated being able to sit and rest on those benches.

I don't give two figs which bright spark thought removing them would rid the area of drinkers.

For one thing, no one's got the balls to actually say who was responsible.

Saying it as it is.

It hasn't worked.

The alkies are still in the vicinity.

The only difference is, those who genuinely appreciated the benches being there, miss them.
As I posted.

Odd.

Time. When viewed from a political perspective.

One minute it's all giddy encouragement, if you happen to critiscise a daft policy by those who some politically oppose.

Six months later, dare to criticise a ludicrous decision, and we're all labelled as 'doomsayers'.

Sad really.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:05   #232
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Am I to assume from this reply that you are now identifying Clare as the person responsible for making the decision, despite the fact that I have told you she did not make the decision?

I have been involved in discussions about various matters since coming to the council, from the Royal Wedding celebrations to the council's Cycle To Work scheme yet I haven't made the ultimate decision on a single one of them.

You're beginning to sound like one of the word-twisting politicians you rail against.
Er...whoever ultimately rubber stamped the decision to remove of the benches, you've named the person with the authority to see them returned.

We, the utterly weary residents of Hyndburn, thank you for your kind help, knowing how busy your are.

Many thanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:05   #233
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Good luck to you.
If Clare Pritchard read this thread why did she not post on the thread, instead of letting you take any flak going, even though you stated you didn't know much about the original decision, strange that very strange
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07   #234
Give, give, give member

Let's just hope all this moving, hither and thither, means they're still fit for pupose, when they're returned.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:14   #235
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If Clare Pritchard read this thread why did she not post on the thread, instead of letting you take any flak going, even though you stated you didn't know much about the original decision, strange that very strange
Another councillor used to log in, and read threads discussing this other issue, but rarely decided it was worth commenting on.

Former Labour loyalist props up the Tories | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Old 03-11-2011, 10:18   #236
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Another councillor used to log in, and read threads discussing this other issue, but rarely decided it was worth commenting on.

Former Labour loyalist props up the Tories | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
Um runs in the family
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21   #237
Give, give, give member

Give a man a bag of flour, he'll eat.

Give a man some seed and a plough, he'll feed himself.

Give a man a weapon, and tons of ammunition, if he feels threatened, it's likely he might shoot you.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:33   #238
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Give a man a bag of flour, he'll eat.

Give a man some seed and a plough, he'll feed himself.

Give a man a weapon, and tons of ammunition, if he feels threatened, it's likely he might shoot you.
Ya watch your back mate next time your down Accy
Old 03-11-2011, 10:40   #239
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya watch your back mate next time your down Accy
Why?

Do you think a gaggle of nice old ladies will carry me on their shoulders, seeing me as someone prepared to defend those who sometimes need a sit down?

I'll be careful.

It may look like a walking stick. It's actually a blow pipe.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:45   #240
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Email sent.

Asking they are returned, and enquiring as to the date, when that's likely to be.

If anyone else would like to contact the person who could authorise their return, their contact details are on this link.

Councillors - Clare Pritchard
Well, thank you Clare, for a very prompt reply.

I appreciate your concern about the removal of the benches from the Market Hall. It is a regrettable step we have had to take but we have had to consider the disruption caused by individuals who were using the benches in an anti-social manner and the considerable damage caused to the Market Halls reputation. The police support and fully condone our actions and we are working with partners, including the police, PCT and Maundy Grange to try to look at ways to address the situation and manage the behaviour. As a result I am afraid I am unable to provide details of when the benches will return at the moment as we cannot put a timescale on the steps we are implementing . However, there are a number of benches inside the Market Hall (20 yards away) you are welcome to use and there are three benches located outside the Town Hall (20 yards away) that you can access. I really do appreciate your issue Gary and I do have a great deal of sympathy for the points you raise, however I have to consider the wider disruption of the behaviour that was happening there.

Though personally I'm still at a loss as to why you can't say when these benches will be returned.

It makes even less sense, in tackling this issue, than if they were removed permanently. Which would at least have shown a little logic.

So, I'm happy at least I've had an answer from the person with the authority to rectify this problem.

Though I'm not happy with the response.

On behalf of all the non-alcoholics who used these benches, I fear I shall continue to grumble that it was a stupid thing to do, until they are returned...eventually.

Whenever that might be.

Oh, and by the way, the other benches you mentioned are very often full.

Especially more so now. Now that the number of places to sit in this area has been greatly reduced.

If I ever shop in Accrington again, and am in need of a seat, and these benches are full, I'll mention your name, and tell them could they please give their seat up for me, as Cllr. Clare Pritchard has told me I can sit there.

Thanks.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..