Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 13:47   #241
Give, give, give member

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

Just received another message.

From someone in the know, but who is not a councillor.

According to this source one of the benches was damaged 'beyond repair', whilst it was being removed.

Perhaps this is a more likely reason why a date can't be given, as to when the benches are to be returned.

Takes time.

Doing costings.

Might cost one poor Hyndburn citizen all the amount they're due to pay extra, when their council tax goes up next year, as it reportedly is.

This information came from a very reliable source, though it would be very interesting if anyone else cares to comment.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2011, 14:22   #242
Senior Member+

I do agree with what most have said regarding the removal, totally the wrong way of handling the situation, and just pushes the problem elsewhere. On Monday for instance i saw some of these "drinkers" sat on the empty market stalls next to the bus station!

I will just mention though, there are 6 benches inside the Market Hall itself, which is probably a more comfortable & certainly in Winter, warmer environment to sit in. No good for smoker's of course.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:34   #243
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I do agree with what most have said regarding the removal, totally the wrong way of handling the situation, and just pushes the problem elsewhere. On Monday for instance i saw some of these "drinkers" sat on the empty market stalls next to the bus station!

I will just mention though, there are 6 benches inside the Market Hall itself, which is probably a more comfortable & certainly in Winter, warmer environment to sit in. No good for smoker's of course.

Best Regards - Taggy
Cheers Taggy.

Since we've now decided market halls are better off without market stalls, and replaced them with seating area, and community art exhibition spaces, those benches inside are nearly always full.

As you say, it is warmer in there.

People seem to sit there, and settle themselves for the day.

Probably do that to save on their heating costs at home, in the hope they might be able to pay next year's increased council tax bills.

Old 03-11-2011, 14:49   #244
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Cheers Taggy.

Since we've now decided market halls are better off without market stalls, and replaced them with seating area, and community art exhibition spaces, those benches inside are nearly always full.

As you say, it is warmer in there.

People seem to sit there, and settle themselves for the day.

Probably do that to save on their heating costs at home, in the hope they might be able to pay next year's increased council tax bills.
Apparently they are going to be bringing some live Reindeer in the Market Hall near Christmas too on certain days. Was just hoping if we could encourage You, Cashy n Jaysay in we could advertise the 3 Wise Men too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 15:33   #245
Super Moderator

Could somebody explain why the cops can't do what they do in downtown Manchester? Confiscate their booze? If they knew that wherever they sat in the town centre, they'd be at risk of having their booze taken away, they'd soon make themselves scarce.
Old 03-11-2011, 15:42   #246
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Apparently they are going to be bringing some live Reindeer in the Market Hall near Christmas too on certain days. Was just hoping if we could encourage You, Cashy n Jaysay in we could advertise the 3 Wise Men too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Sorry to disappoint, but I'll be playing a pantomime horse's arse, in a neigboring town, with benches, for which there's no charge to sit on them.

They'll hopefully appreciate our money being spent with local businesses, whilst we're there.

As for Accrington's magicically disappearing seats, whatever state they're currently in, let's just hope they're stored somewhere secure, and don't end up as fuel on someone's bonfire.

Old 03-11-2011, 15:48   #247
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Could somebody explain why the cops can't do what they do in downtown Manchester? Confiscate their booze? If they knew that wherever they sat in the town centre, they'd be at risk of having their booze taken away, they'd soon make themselves scarce.
Wouldn't that be too easy a way of solving the problem, almost certainly?

What would do with all the creative thinkers, that we have in Hyndburn, who we pay to solve these complex puzzles?

Old 03-11-2011, 18:13   #248
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well, thank you Clare, for a very prompt reply.

I appreciate your concern about the removal of the benches from the Market Hall. It is a regrettable step we have had to take but we have had to consider the disruption caused by individuals who were using the benches in an anti-social manner and the considerable damage caused to the Market Halls reputation. The police support and fully condone our actions and we are working with partners, including the police, PCT and Maundy Grange to try to look at ways to address the situation and manage the behaviour. As a result I am afraid I am unable to provide details of when the benches will return at the moment as we cannot put a timescale on the steps we are implementing . However, there are a number of benches inside the Market Hall (20 yards away) you are welcome to use and there are three benches located outside the Town Hall (20 yards away) that you can access. I really do appreciate your issue Gary and I do have a great deal of sympathy for the points you raise, however I have to consider the wider disruption of the behaviour that was happening there.

Though personally I'm still at a loss as to why you can't say when these benches will be returned.

It makes even less sense, in tackling this issue, than if they were removed permanently. Which would at least have shown a little logic.

So, I'm happy at least I've had an answer from the person with the authority to rectify this problem.

Though I'm not happy with the response.

On behalf of all the non-alcoholics who used these benches, I fear I shall continue to grumble that it was a stupid thing to do, until they are returned...eventually.

Whenever that might be.

Oh, and by the way, the other benches you mentioned are very often full.

Especially more so now. Now that the number of places to sit in this area has been greatly reduced.

If I ever shop in Accrington again, and am in need of a seat, and these benches are full, I'll mention your name, and tell them could they please give their seat up for me, as Cllr. Clare Pritchard has told me I can sit there.

Thanks.
Its fine sending emails but why not post it on here, or is it just because your the one shouting the loudest Rindi, do the rest of use not matter, is it catching, we've already seen that the MP doesn't give a toss for the electorate, looks like councillors are the same
Old 03-11-2011, 18:16   #249
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
Three Wise men Taggy, well we've certainly been round the block a time or two
Old 03-11-2011, 18:18   #250
God Member

Quote:
Apparently they are going to be bringing some live Reindeer in the Market Hall near Christmas too on certain days.

Wonder if they can find some local ones, the Scottish ones last year seemed to have better agents than Aldo

MAYORALTY,PUBLIC RELATIONS,REINDEERS XMAS PARADE B000013318/48274,THE CAIRNGORM REINDEER CENTRE,16/11/2010, £1980
ACC TOWN CENTRE MARKETING INITIATIVES, REINDEERS XMAS PARADE,B000013318/48274,THE CAIRNGORM REINDEER CENTRE,16/11/2010 £1980

Last edited by lancsdave; 03-11-2011 at 18:21.
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 18:38   #251
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wouldn't that be too easy a way of solving the problem, almost certainly?

What would do with all the creative thinkers, that we have in Hyndburn, who we pay to solve these complex puzzles?

...or even the councillors who don't post on here anymore because they've got "fairly intensive jobs" with the council?

...although they still seem to have time to silently slip on here...and just as silently slip away again.
Old 03-11-2011, 18:39   #252
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Wonder if they can find some local ones, the Scottish ones last year seemed to have better agents than Aldo

MAYORALTY,PUBLIC RELATIONS,REINDEERS XMAS PARADE B000013318/48274,THE CAIRNGORM REINDEER CENTRE,16/11/2010, £1980
ACC TOWN CENTRE MARKETING INITIATIVES, REINDEERS XMAS PARADE,B000013318/48274,THE CAIRNGORM REINDEER CENTRE,16/11/2010 £1980
Baby Jesus!

I'll wear a fur coat and antlers, and be paraded through the streets of Accy, for two grand!!!

We could have had a flash mob, and half a pretend swimming gala for that!

What was that they were saying about times being hard, and inevitable cuts?

Old 03-11-2011, 18:43   #253
Give, give, give member

I thought the whole point of this year's celebration was 'high on fun, low on cost'?

Which why they were searching for a worthy child to flick the switch.

Might as well pay to bring back Martin Platt, and Silly Dildo, to do the job.

Last edited by garinda; 03-11-2011 at 18:48.
Old 03-11-2011, 18:47   #254
Give, give, give member

That's it.

It's not déjà vu.

I've returned through time, and am back living in loony Labour run Lambeth.

Old 03-11-2011, 19:00   #255
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's it.

It's not déjà vu.

I've returned through time, and am back living in loony Labour run Lambeth.
Rindi I've been trying to tell you that for years, they're all loony its just some disguise it better than others

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..