Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2012, 03:31   #121
God Member

Re: Alcohol/Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I dont know if you are interested, but if you would like a specific photo taking of a certain location I am only to pleased to do it for you, this offer is also open to claytoners around the globe to give them a view of home.
Aw shucks That's a fine offer bud. I will give it some thought, and get back to you; much of what I would probably love to see again is probably gone. You must be from the bottom end, eh What is it? You have to live below the Load of Mischief to be a bottom ender. See ... that's a place I'd love to see again ... the Load ... but that's no more.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2012, 06:30   #122
Senior Member+

load of mischief? is that what is now called the volunteer?
Old 17-04-2012, 06:48   #123
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you lived in Bacup (coconutters) you would strap them to your body and dance around in a circle
After blacking up of course
Old 17-04-2012, 07:14   #124
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
load of mischief? is that what is now called the volunteer?
No, Restless, the Load of Mischief was a completely seperate pub which was sadly demolished when the motorway was buillt. The Volunteers has always been called the Volunteers.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:29   #125
Resting In Peace

Quote:
If you lived in Bacup (coconutters) you would strap them to your body and dance around in a circle
Ah yes, seen them many times. A fine body of men, even if they do wear skirts!
Old 17-04-2012, 08:38   #126
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Aw shucks That's a fine offer bud. I will give it some thought, and get back to you; much of what I would probably love to see again is probably gone. You must be from the bottom end, eh What is it? You have to live below the Load of Mischief to be a bottom ender. See ... that's a place I'd love to see again ... the Load ... but that's no more.
When I first brought my other half to Accy to stay with my folks we called in at the Load for some Dutch courage. Being a southerner, he asked if the barman would take the sparkler off the beer tap to give him a flat pint like he was used to. The barman loosened it and it fell into Richard's pint!

Next time we looked for it the pub was gone. Richard never drives over that bridge now without a homage to that pub, his first memory of Accy.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:51   #127
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
When I first brought my other half to Accy to stay with my folks we called in at the Load for some Dutch courage. Being a southerner, he asked if the barman would take the sparkler off the beer tap to give him a flat pint like he was used to. The barman loosened it and it fell into Richard's pint!

Next time we looked for it the pub was gone. Richard never drives over that bridge now without a homage to that pub, his first memory of Accy.
That sure reminds me of the time I first worked down south susie, my mates brother had a pub in Kent and we called for a pint and say hello, when we asked for a couple of pints of bitter he shook his head, and recommended Guinness, you just wouldn't like the bitter here think it was Fremlins
Old 17-04-2012, 10:06   #128
Mog

Smile Re: Alcohol/Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That sure reminds me of the time I first worked down south susie, my mates brother had a pub in Kent and we called for a pint and say hello, when we asked for a couple of pints of bitter he shook his head, and recommended Guinness, you just wouldn't like the bitter here think it was Fremlins
Dont know about it being Fremlins, I have been down here in Kent for twenty years. Have never had a good pint of Bitter. I have been reduced to drinking Lager as it is pretty consistent. Last time I was back home I had a pint in the Spread Eagle and it was happy hour. Even if the lads in the pub said it wasnt a very good pint, it was a lot better than the crap down here. Cheers and I cant wait until October and I shall be back for some more.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:11   #129
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Dont know about it being Fremlins, I have been down here in Kent for twenty years. Have never had a good pint of Bitter. I have been reduced to drinking Lager as it is pretty consistent. Last time I was back home I had a pint in the Spread Eagle and it was happy hour. Even if the lads in the pub said it wasnt a very good pint, it was a lot better than the crap down here. Cheers and I cant wait until October and I shall be back for some more.
What not even Shepherd Neame?

Fremlins sold to Whitbread in 1967.
Old 17-04-2012, 10:15   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Mog this was in 1971, sorry I didn't make it clear, the Fremlins brewery was taken over by Whitbread's what it is now god only knows
Old 17-04-2012, 10:18   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Hadn't seen your post before replying to mog susie, when I was there they were still selling Fremlins bitter, but it was awful even to look at never mind drink
Old 17-04-2012, 14:45   #132
God Member

Quote:

I can get Spitfire over here ... and, sometimes, Bishop's Finger ... Not bad (that' litotes)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:18   #133
Senior Member+

Well I tracked the Fire Extinguisher today and its trying to make its way under the bridge on burnley/blackburn road. I actually saw it moving then it stopped when i made the video

accyweb :: Lonely Voyage of A Fire Extinguisher video by restless - Photobucket
Old 17-04-2012, 15:20   #134
Senior Member+

I remember my dad mentioning it but never mentioned it being pulled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, Restless, the Load of Mischief was a completely seperate pub which was sadly demolished when the motorway was buillt. The Volunteers has always been called the Volunteers.
Old 17-04-2012, 15:46   #135
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
A bottom ender Eric was below the canal, At school it was known as Hyndburn House above Enfield House.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..