Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2012, 21:49   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Alcohol/Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Probably acquired from the fairground when at Blackburn?
Never thought of that but as you will know the flow on the canal reverses, so it would take months for them to drift into Hyndburns air space..........unless passing barges throw them overboard, don't want that though as it would interrupt my extinguisher survey. Plus it would be like aquatic marbles, the noise would be horrendous, it would be like Edmundo Ross with his maracas
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2012, 21:56   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Dont really know dave all i know is when we used to go to clean the feeder in the mornings invariably there would be a coconut in it Along with all the other detritus that was in it like wood , traffic cones,plastic bags, buckets, plastic bottles, crisp packets, we even had a glut of giant sheets of polystyrene about 10ft x 8ft which kept appearing for about three weeks , go figure
I think this coconut thing requires further investigation, if you found one every morning, that is 365 coconuts per year. Now what operation requires a coconut to be used and then disposed of on a daily basis, was the coconut complete with outer husk or was it just the hard inner shell. I am not going to sleep tonight for wondering about this coconut operation.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:01   #108
Senior Member+

Dont worry to much dave , the coconuts were usually whole so like i said i dont really know what the crack was.The copies of the Koran always made me wonder until i was told when you disposed of a copy it had to be in water? Dont know if thats true or not
Old 16-04-2012, 22:08   #109
God Member

Quote:
Have you seen any coconuts yet dave ? we used to get a lot of those at the feeder at the top of Blackburn locks along with copies of the Koran and syringes which was nice
This again brings up the subject of bouyancy..did you take note of wether these coconuts had the full quota of coconut milk inside? or had they been "milked" by the fairground they may/may not have come from?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 22:11   #110
Senior Member+

Not knowing the exact quantity of liquid contained in a coconut it makes that a hard question to answer, they did appear to contain some milk but whether it was a full quota i could not say for certain sorry, but they seemed fully buoyant i can say that.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:12   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
Dont worry to much dave , the coconuts were usually whole so like i said i dont really know what the crack was.The copies of the Koran always made me wonder until i was told when you disposed of a copy it had to be in water? Dont know if thats true or not
The Korans a bit of a mystery, just did a quick Google and it does say a moving body of water, or burial, or burning. The exact method of disposal is a bit of a mystery as the Koran does not address the matter. So I suppose the canal could be permitted but its a bit of a stretch to say moving.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:16   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
The Korans a bit of a mystery, just did a quick Google and it does say a moving body of water, or burial, or burning. The exact method of disposal is a bit of a mystery as the Koran does not address the matter. So I suppose the canal could be permitted but its a bit of a stretch to say moving.
It definitely does move Dave whether thats due to draw off, leaks ,locks, or boat draw but the water does flow and from barrowford west or east it goes downhill to Liverpool/ Leeds , barrowford being the summit of the Leeds Liverpool canal.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:16   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
This again brings up the subject of bouyancy..did you take note of wether these coconuts had the full quota of coconut milk inside? or had they been "milked" by the fairground they may/may not have come from?
All coconuts have bouyancy, its how they propogate, and why they grow adjacent to the shore, they rely on large bodies of water to transport the coconuts from island to island. They do of course lose there floatation ability if hit with a hammer to get the "milk" out.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:20   #114
God Member

Quote:
Not knowing the exact quantity of liquid contained in a coconut it makes that a hard question to answer, they did appear to contain some milk but whether it was a full quota i could not say for certain sorry, but they seemed fully buoyant i can say that.
Well got to say that answer is simply not good enough.. I would have thought a professional coconut retriever would have made it his business to know the exact amount of milk in the average coconut.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:28   #115
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Errr... they don't have to have come from the fairground - you can buy them in the supermarket.

Sainsbury's online groceries
Old 16-04-2012, 22:31   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well got to say that answer is simply not good enough.. I would have thought a professional coconut retriever would have made it his business to know the exact amount of milk in the average coconut.
I think we should maintain the integrity of this very sensible thread , and to put the matter straight, the liquid inside the coconut is called "coconut liquid" the "coconut milk" actually comes from the flesh within the coconut.

I feel it is important to know what it is you are measuring, and not to get silly.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:45   #117
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I think we should maintain the integrity of this very sensible thread , and to put the matter straight, the liquid inside the coconut is called "coconut liquid" the "coconut milk" actually comes from the flesh within the coconut.

I feel it is important to know what it is you are measuring, and not to get silly.
Hear hear. Are you sure you're not wearing an anorak?
Old 16-04-2012, 22:47   #118
God Member

Quote:
There was a time when if a coconut came floating down any stretch of water even close to Accy there would be fighting on the bankside.
Old 16-04-2012, 22:49   #119
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Hear hear. Are you sure you're not wearing an anorak?
No just flip flops, and a cheesey grin.................. sorry to put that picture in you mind before bedtime

www.anorak.co.uk
Old 16-04-2012, 22:53   #120
Senior Member+

Quote:
There was a time when if a coconut came floating down any stretch of water even close to Accy there would be fighting on the bankside.
If you lived in Bacup (coconutters) you would strap them to your body and dance around in a circle

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..