Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2011, 01:29   #106

Re: Chip shops near you (how many)

Do you all get bread ? or maybe teacake with fish and chips ?
dont do chippy as much now,more occasional and if its fish its lightly battered nowadays
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2011, 09:40   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
Do you all get bread ? or maybe teacake with fish and chips ?
dont do chippy as much now,more occasional and if its fish its lightly battered nowadays
I sometimes get Fish and chips delivered Spigs, its always Fish and Chips and two buttered teacakes please
Old 31-07-2011, 10:33   #108
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it happen did up your way margaret, after all the bakery was only a couple of mins away, n the gear was free to many,,or so i was told.
Never got any free bread, but we used to call at the bakehouse on the way back from Peel Park school and ask for any squashed cakes......they were a penny.....but sometimes if there were two of us, they would take pity on us and for a penny we would both get a cake........sometimes a cream bun(it wasn't real cream, it was the ersatz stuff....but we didn't mind) we were not very impressed if we just got a bit of fly's cemetery....but we ate it all the same.(sigh)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 17:34   #109

Was in an Asda in Blackpool yesterday and saw in the pie section, 4 Hollands Meat and Spud pies £3.71p. Been down South too long, I thought that was alot to pay for a spud pie but when I thought about it, bout right! Pies eh, gone the same way as Wagon Wheels cept they shrank as I got older!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 18:29   #110
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Was in an Asda in Blackpool yesterday and saw in the pie section, 4 Hollands Meat and Spud pies £3.71p. Been down South too long, I thought that was a lot to pay for a spud pie but when I thought about it, bout right! Pies eh, gone the same way as Wagon Wheels cept they shrank as I got older!!
Ya Pay about £1.20 or £1.40 in Chippies now GDM
Old 25-08-2011, 06:38   #111

Potatoe pies here are mince with mash spud on top, tasty though. But there"s a butchers shop that sells great, pork pies & cornish pasties, only its an hours drive away.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 07:14   #112
God Member

£ 1.30 for a spud pie .......... used to be a shilling , 3d more than a fish , fresh stuff straight from Fleetwood (North sea), not frozen crap tilapia from the South Pacific.
question ... how much would I have to pay for steak pudding , chips and peas with a fish on top as a carry out ? ......... best place Clayton St. chippy Gt. Harwood ...was locally known their back cafe/dinning room as a Jack Simmons
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:46   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
£ 1.30 for a spud pie .......... used to be a shilling , 3d more than a fish , fresh stuff straight from Fleetwood (North sea), not frozen crap tilapia from the South Pacific.
question ... how much would I have to pay for steak pudding , chips and peas with a fish on top as a carry out ? ......... best place Clayton St. chippy Gt. Harwood ...was locally known their back cafe/dinning room as a Jack Simmons
Don't think you'd have much change from a fiver SJ
Old 25-08-2011, 11:07   #114

2 large Cod and 1 large chips £6.20p in Blackpool on Monday. Same food but £10.50p here in Kent!!!! THIS is why we are moving back up't North!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:08   #115
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
2 large Cod and 1 large chips £6.20p in Blackpool on Monday. Same food but £10.50p here in Kent!!!! THIS is why we are moving back up't North!!!
£10.50p did it swim from icelandic waters at that price
Old 25-08-2011, 19:00   #116

Mmmm. Teacakes where i come from had fruit in them. Toasted teacake and a nice cuppa. And what they call dabs in these parts we called scallops.
I remember a friend of mine once in Edinburgh asked for a pie and when they threw it in the fryer he went ballistic. Good job he didn't want a mars bar.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 19:09   #117
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Mmmm. Teacakes where i come from had fruit in them. Toasted teacake and a nice cuppa. And what they call dabs in these parts we called scallops.
I remember a friend of mine once in Edinburgh asked for a pie and when they threw it in the fryer he went ballistic. Good job he didn't want a mars bar.
They fry them as well up yon Alan, I have the same reaction when I first asked for Pie and Chips on my first trip to Glasgow
Old 27-08-2011, 07:18   #118

Dos'nt matter when you've had a skinfull, once went home & had a tin of lentil soup & a tin of peaches, boil up on top of stove,I eat the lot so it could'nt have been to bad. Had many a deep fried pie in Glasgow, with black pudding.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 07:52   #119
God Member

a boy and his dog story ... , must have turned 18 , allowed to work Sunday morning overtime at J T Rothwells , bottom end of Bridge st in Church , no idea how I got to work from Arrod ..walked ? .. but my Dad used to pick me up after work in his car .. then we went for the usual Sunday lunch time pints and once met up with one of his mates over Audley way , (Gremlin will know the Bennett name ) anyway we ended up taking a Corgi dog pup home... needless to say this met with consternation in the family home ... anyway to cut a long story short ... Toby ..... saved me many times from a real "rollicking", for some reason he was designated as my pet so slept in my bedroom , seems he had a liking for partially digested fish and chips/steak puddings etc. which for some unforseen reasons were frequenty deposited on my 18/19 yrs old bedroom carpet but no evidence was available the following morning ........ still have pics of the guy ... Love you Toby
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:59   #120
Senior Member+

(Gremlin will know the Bennett name )

Certainly do and like your father he knew his way around a pint, you are going back far too many years for comfort.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..