Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2012, 21:49   #121

Re: Chip shops near you (how many)

Does anyone remember if their chippy did "new potato" chips when the season came around. I rememeber the sudden change in taste that was second to none, and they didn't put the price up like they would today!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2012, 05:22   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Does anyone remember if their chippy did "new potato" chips when the season came around. I rememeber the sudden change in taste that was second to none, and they didn't put the price up like they would today!
I remember the new potato chips ... but, if my memory serves me right, a six penneth became a 7 penneth ... in some chippies even 8 But dabs were still 2p (or tuppence) ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:55   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I remember the new potato chips ... but, if my memory serves me right, a six penneth became a 7 penneth ... in some chippies even 8 But dabs were still 2p (or tuppence) ...
Ya Eric and the price always staid at the new upper price too
Old 13-11-2012, 12:34   #124

Anyone know the oldest working chippy still going in Accy??
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 18:29   #125
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Anyone know the oldest working chippy still going in Accy??
Dont know about the oldest, but trolling through all the old posts regarding chip shops. I lived on Crown street. 5 houses up on the other side of St Oswalds. Used Lens quite a bit between 53 and 65. Got to agree with all the comments, He was the best. Does anyone remember the chippy that was on the corner of Crown street and Ranger street. I think thats where the saying Cheap as chips came from because his chips were 4d and Lens were 6d. But the 4d chips were absolute ****. I do remember the Gas light outside the shop. Malcolm Taylor and Tony Boardman and me used to hang about till he shut in the evening and got some free left overs.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 18:54   #126
Resting In Peace

I remember that awful chippy on Crown Street. My aunt and uncle lived at 24 Crown Street, bit further up than you I think Mog. Only sent me there once for fish and chips. They were awful.
Old 13-11-2012, 21:28   #127

where was/is Crown Street in relation to Ranger Street and Willows Lane?
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 21:57   #128
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

It ran off Willows Lane to the left, pretty near bottom, running parallel wi Blackburn Rd. P.S. To the left going upwards.
Old 13-11-2012, 22:04   #129
Resting In Peace

Think Crown Street was the street next to Ranger Street, going away from Willows Lane. Sure it ran up from Blackburn road, not paralell.
Old 13-11-2012, 22:09   #130
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindashanks2 View Post
Think Crown Street was the street next to Ranger Street, going away from Willows Lane. Sure it ran up from Blackburn road, not paralell.
Don't think so linda. Mog will say fer certain when he sees this, he lived on yon, also i went out fer a short while wi a lass on yon,
Old 13-11-2012, 23:07   #131
Super Moderator

Crown Street ran from Willows Lane, just past the bridge, to Richmond Street. The next parallel street up was Brown Street and the next parallel street down was Canning Street. Said it before on here, but Len's were the best fish & chips in the world...ever.
Old 14-11-2012, 05:11   #132
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Crown Street ran from Willows Lane, just past the bridge, to Richmond Street. The next parallel street up was Brown Street and the next parallel street down was Canning Street. Said it before on here, but Len's were the best fish & chips in the world...ever.
Quite right. Go up Willows lane, Under the railway bridge and first left. Though I dont think you can access it this way now as that end is blocked off by the old scrap yard entrance. But when you could go up that way, St Oswalds was on the right hand side, then Peter Street. On your left hand side as you got to Ranger street was the C**p chip shop. Now then Who,s going to tell me who owned the scrap yard and where his wife worked. The reason I mention this is that I knocked about with their son and he could eat chips for England.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 09:26   #133
Resting In Peace

You are quite right Cashy. Think old age is setting in. I spent a lot of time there would you believe it. Definitely as you say, paralell with Blackburn Road.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:04   #134
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindashanks2 View Post
You are quite right Cashy. Think old age is setting in. I spent a lot of time there would you believe it. Definitely as you say, paralell with Blackburn Road.
No big deal,easy done.
Old 14-11-2012, 14:33   #135
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Quite right. Go up Willows lane, Under the railway bridge and first left. Though I dont think you can access it this way now as that end is blocked off by the old scrap yard entrance. But when you could go up that way, St Oswalds was on the right hand side, then Peter Street. On your left hand side as you got to Ranger street was the C**p chip shop. Now then Who,s going to tell me who owned the scrap yard and where his wife worked. The reason I mention this is that I knocked about with their son and he could eat chips for England.
Must admit, Mog, I've no idea on that one and I used to shin up that scrapyard wall often enough with my mate, Mick Broadley, who lived a few doors away from you. Also used to knock around with a lad called Derek who must've lived very close to you, but can't remember his last name now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..