Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2010, 16:11   #46

Re: Chip shops near you (how many)

The chippy at the bottom of Burnley Road's quite good, they have a quick turnover of staff though, is bit because he is a grumpy git???????

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2011, 20:03   #47

Talking to the misses today about the cost of fish and chips. Am I wrong i remembering that back in the 60's fish and chips cost 1/6 (1 shilling and sixpence to the young'ns) Right or wrong how much do you remember them costing??
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 22:00   #48
Junior Member+

what about Pennocks for pudding chips and peas they had a big fat cat
accysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 22:19   #49
Senior Member+

Abbey friars pretty good, chinky on malborough rd also good
Old 15-03-2011, 22:26   #50
Senior Member+

Used to be a belter on Cedar st knocked it down now .
Old 16-03-2011, 08:23   #51
Resting in Peace

Don't know if anybody remembers, the chippy at the bottom of Plantation St. back in the 60s there was a cafe at the back, which became known as the bob shop, anything you had in the cafe cost a shilling, don't know whether it was the waitress who was pulling a flanker or what, but it went on for months, everybody attending sandy lane college knew about it, it was a fight to get in every lunch time
Old 23-03-2011, 22:55   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Talking to the misses today about the cost of fish and chips. Am I wrong i remembering that back in the 60's fish and chips cost 1/6 (1 shilling and sixpence to the young'ns) Right or wrong how much do you remember them costing??
Yup .... you used to ask for "fish and six" ... I remember that when the new potatoes came in the price of chips went up to eightpence. Dabs could be had for a penny ... used to love the cheese and onion pies, but can't remember the cost. Maybe another catholic can remember; they were ususally on sale on friday.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 02:09   #53
God Member

First chippy I recall was the one across from the baths in accy..I think it was about 6d for chips.. there would be 5 or 6 of us about 10yrs old and we used to make out one of us had no money.. the lady would give us a free bag of chips and scraps..I reckon she had clocked on but was just a good women.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 05:34   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't know if anybody remembers, the chippy at the bottom of Plantation St. back in the 60s there was a cafe at the back, which became known as the bob shop, anything you had in the cafe cost a shilling, don't know whether it was the waitress who was pulling a flanker or what, but it went on for months, everybody attending sandy lane college knew about it, it was a fight to get in every lunch time
That was Percys chippy, mate used it regular when i lived at Black Annies, have a great couple of tales fer yeh about that un, remind me next time.
Old 25-03-2011, 15:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yup .... you used to ask for "fish and six" ... I remember that when the new potatoes came in the price of chips went up to eightpence. Dabs could be had for a penny ... used to love the cheese and onion pies, but can't remember the cost. Maybe another catholic can remember; they were ususally on sale on friday.
I remember when the new spuds came in as well, best time of the year for chips. Don't get them anymore, or do we??
Old 25-03-2011, 19:04   #56
Senior Member+

I didn't live in the Accrington area until the late 1960,s so I can't comment about the price of chips over here.
When I was about 7 and lived in Walsden just as the WW2 ended my mum used to send me to our little corner chippy for a 2 pence bag of chips for me and my brother. We got plenty each as well. When I was a little bit older and still couldn't mange to stomach meat (and can't to this day) we would sometime have a meat pie to share. I had the crust off the top and our kid had the meaty bit from the bottom. As for fish I had to sit outside while my parents had one because I was sick when I smelt it.
Old 25-03-2011, 19:47   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
I remember when the new spuds came in as well, best time of the year for chips. Don't get them anymore, or do we??
No ... all we get is that frozen crap I remember when they used to chip the spuds right there while you were watching. Those old manual chippers ... collectors items now, I guess.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 20:17   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Can remember when I was a kid, and Grandma lived in Edmund St, she would give me a jug and send me to the chippy in Nuttall St for a thrupenny mixture (3 old pennies), chips and mushy peas. That was over 70 years ago.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 20:45   #59

Quote:
No ... all we get is that frozen crap I remember when they used to chip the spuds right there while you were watching. Those old manual chippers ... collectors items now, I guess.
I was in Asda a few months ago and this guy who ownes a local Chinese chippy, went past with one of those huge trollies (how do you spell that?) overflowing with huge bags of value frozen chips that were on offer!!!! Bet he passed the savings on NOT!!!!!
Old 26-03-2011, 07:42   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I can only ever remember two chippies the one across the road from were we lived on Church Street, Church; it was between Canal Street and Kershaw Street. I can remember going in and helping make chips by pulling the leaver on the chipper, it was a big black b***** that chipped one spud at a time.

The other was the one on the corner of Ormerod Street and Richmond Hill? Or was it Hope Street. The chippy was always a treat; chips and mushy peas in a bowl……can never remember us having fish or anything exotic like pies.
Remember the first one, and I seem to remember there being one on Henry St, just around the corner from the Stag, but the few grey cells left are wlosive when questioned.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..