Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2011, 17:14   #76
God Member

Re: Chip shops near you (how many)

Anyone remember that chippy on Lower Barnes St.? The one just past the Forts on the left-hand side going down, close to where Basil Brierly had his junk yard?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2011, 09:33   #77

What about that chippy down Ossy just down from the Tech. I used to go there at lunch time when I worked at Pilkington Bros. I remember that the wife who worked behind the counter always wore a low cut blouse, which, being only 16ish at the time, I couldn't take my eyes off!!! This was back in the late 60's. Can't remember what the chips were like!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:37   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
What about that chippy down Ossy just down from the Tech. I used to go there at lunch time when I worked at Pilkington Bros. I remember that the wife who worked behind the counter always wore a low cut blouse, which, being only 16ish at the time, I couldn't take my eyes off!!! This was back in the late 60's. Can't remember what the chips were like!!!
Think we've discussed this lady before Graham, there was a cafe at the back of the shop, and the walls were plastered with photos of Engelbert Humperdinck, quite a few taken with the lady in question, seem to think she was a fan
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think we've discussed this lady before Graham, there was a cafe at the back of the shop, and the walls were plastered with photos of Engelbert Humperdinck, quite a few taken with the lady in question, seem to think she was a fan
Gary, I remember now. I take it the shop is no longer there. There was also a pie shop (mid 60's) next to the Tech that did an amazing spud pie, very round, flat and wet. We used to have it on a buttered teacake. The things school kids find to eat.
Old 11-04-2011, 15:04   #80
Senior Member+

is there any chippy left that actually uses fresh potatoes for chips?
Old 11-04-2011, 18:04   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Gary, I remember now. I take it the shop is no longer there. There was also a pie shop (mid 60's) next to the Tech that did an amazing spud pie, very round, flat and wet. We used to have it on a buttered teacake. The things school kids find to eat.
Sorrry Gary
Old 16-04-2011, 20:38   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
is there any chippy left that actually uses fresh potatoes for chips?
I don't know about there, but in Kingston: The Rose and Crown, the Pilot House, Division Fish and Chips, the Star Diner, the Toucan, the Iron Duke on Wellington and Serves You Right. And of the chip trucks in the area: The Small Fry, Jimmy's Chip Truck, the Lunch Box, and Fresh Fries Fast all use real, fresh spuds. I've got the munchies; so, I'm off to the Star.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 21:37   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
That shop next to Tech was "Lockwoods" daughter was Liz who also worked yon we used to pop in everyday, very well developed was our Liz. pies were great as well.
Old 17-04-2011, 09:29   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That shop next to Tech was "Lockwoods" daughter was Liz who also worked yon we used to pop in everyday, very well developed was our Liz. pies were great as well.
Roy Lockwood was her brother cashy he was the late Jean Lockwood's husband an Oswaldtwistle Councillor who died last year
Old 17-04-2011, 09:30   #85
Resting in Peace

Was in the kitchen at home last night and there was a van came past with Richmond Chippy free delivery on the side, where abouts is that Chippy anybody know
Old 17-04-2011, 09:51   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Was in the kitchen at home last night and there was a van came past with Richmond Chippy free delivery on the side, where abouts is that Chippy anybody know
I think It's the one on the corner of Richmond Rd and Willows Lane.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 09:57   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Cheers Beni
Old 17-04-2011, 13:15   #88

I used to live in a Chippy on Blackburn Road in Church in the 1960s. It had a cafe attached and they used to call it greasy Joe's although my dad who is called Arnold was the owner.
alsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 17:33   #89

Quote:
If only they did beer as well!!!!!
Old 20-04-2011, 19:26   #90
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
They have an election poster in the window .

VOTE CONSERVATIVE . VOTE RAZAQ HUSSAIN .

I found this very unusual . I don't ever recall seeing an election poster displayed on a shop window before .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..