Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2011, 09:29   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Chip shops near you (how many)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
They have an election poster in the window .

VOTE CONSERVATIVE . VOTE RAZAQ HUSSAIN .

I found this very unusual . I don't ever recall seeing an election poster displayed on a shop window before .
Its very unusual JCB when I first started in politics I was always told we do not canvas business, but I think things have changed in areas where asian candidates stand they certainly seam to have a different ethos to what we have
Old 21-04-2011, 10:19   #92
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its very unusual JCB when I first started in politics I was always told we do not canvas business, but I think things have changed in areas where asian candidates stand they certainly seam to have a different ethos to what we have
Just what I thought , Jaysay .

It's even stranger . The chippy is in Spring Hill ward and we have no election in the ward this year . The poster is for a Central ward candidate .

Thanks for verifying my thoughts . It struck me right away as being something businesses have never done .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 12:14   #93

Does anyone else think it strange to order fish chips and mushy peas and then be asked if you want gravy on it????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 13:58   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Does anyone else think it strange to order fish chips and mushy peas and then be asked if you want gravy on it????
No
Old 30-07-2011, 14:12   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No
And a no from me too!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 15:34   #96
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i do, never have gravy on fish/chips/peas............yuk.
Old 30-07-2011, 15:38   #97
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post

Yes, definitely, very odd...but then curry sauce on fish and chips...what is that all about?
Why ruin a perfectly good meal by contaminating it with curry sauce.......the thought of it gives me the dry heaves.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 15:40   #98
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Don't do gravy on fish, but a tray of Chips & gravy or even Chips & Curry ..... well that's another story.
Old 30-07-2011, 17:07   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Don't do gravy on fish, but a tray of Chips & gravy or even Chips & Curry ..... well that's another story.
Yup, chips and a tub of curry sauce walking home after a night down Accy!!! Now we're talking!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 17:16   #100
God Member

Think it must be a Lancashire thing .... gravy on everything ......... was over a few years back and my kids were also over from Germany ... we were "surprised/amused" when asked if we wanted gravy when we ordered Lasagne for lunch ... at the New Inns pub up the hill from Arrod/Rishton , guess it made sense when it was served up and we saw the Lasagne was served with chips
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 17:57   #101
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

In Maghull there used to be a place we called "Dirty Dicks", directly over the road from the "Coach & Horses" on Liverpool road North, as you can imagine he had a huge turn over despite not being the best Chippy in the area, his speciality was he'd fry in batter whatever you'd ask for from the range.

His own special was a deep fried Jam Buttie. Needless to say the sale of said delicacy depended rather heavily on Alcohol & stupidity in the ordering of this particular special which usually resulted in jam like tar all down your shirt & first degree burns to your grid. Oh the folly of youth !

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 30-07-2011 at 18:00.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 18:31   #102
Resting in Peace

used to have a mixture when I was a child.... chips and peas.... only adults got the fish or the pie
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 19:03   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
used to have a mixture when I was a child.... chips and peas.... only adults got the fish or the pie
True and couple of slices of Veget bread

" Don't eat Veget bread , makes you "....." in bed
no bloody wonder you fart like thunder
Don't eat Veget bread "
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 21:37   #104
Beacon of light

always thought that rhyme referred to Moseley's Bread.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 22:38   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
always thought that rhyme referred to Moseley's Bread.
it happen did up your way margaret, after all the bakery was only a couple of mins away, n the gear was free to many,,or so i was told.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..