Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2009, 12:55   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Chip shops near you (how many)

Oh, and I should have been a bit clearer......I didn't fill up the vinegar from the water in the horse trough(horses might have supped the water, but I wouldn't.....it was full of muck)....I filled it from the tap on the wall....the one that filled the trough.......so it was clean water.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2009, 19:42   #17

people in rishton will always say nellies fish and chips were the ones to beat the queues outside the shop on high street when ever they were open told you that never went in the shop again when nelllie and her husband retired to live in the ribble valley
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 19:57   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

but i do miss lister street chippy's chips
I miss more than the chips but can't go into detail

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 20:02   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
I miss more than the chips but can't go into detail
umm... why's that?....... I hope it wern't you that mixed the batter!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 20:05   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
umm... why's that?....... I hope it wern't you that mixed the batter!
Read my lips, Can't go into detail

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 21:52   #21
Senior Member+

When I was at Mary Magdalen's primary School I was trusted ( in my last couple of years) to go across to the chippy on the corner of York Street for the teacher's lunches,this had to be done surreptitiously as the dinner supervisor used to go off in a right strop if the headmaster and the senior teachers weren't eating in the dining hall. I used to think it was wildly exotic to be having a takeaway lunch and relished my undercover missions! ( used to make the teachers brews too, and they all had individual melamine mugs, I still remember Mrs Forrest being an orange cup and the head's was a taller dark green mug. Daft how these things stay with you.)
Old 15-05-2009, 21:57   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
When I was at Mary Magdalen's primary School I was trusted ( in my last couple of years) to go across to the chippy on the corner of York Street for the teacher's lunches,this had to be done surreptitiously as the dinner supervisor used to go off in a right strop if the headmaster and the senior teachers weren't eating in the dining hall. I used to think it was wildly exotic to be having a takeaway lunch and relished my undercover missions! ( used to make the teachers brews too, and they all had individual melamine mugs, I still remember Mrs Forrest being an orange cup and the head's was a taller dark green mug. Daft how these things stay with you.)
cor blimey...talk about snuggling up to the teach...next thing you'll be tellin us you gave em all an apple..or worse!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 22:09   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
cor blimey...talk about snuggling up to the teach...next thing you'll be tellin us you gave em all an apple..or worse!
Nah they were all an awful lot older than me and hairy ears are a real turnoff, even to a 10 year old!
But great times, a fantastic school and the headteacher, Mr William Anderson was a giant of a man, he always had steak pud chips peas and gravy! Fond memories.
Old 18-05-2009, 05:27   #24
Senior Member+

The first chippy I can remember going to was on the corner of South St and Clement St. The old girl would give you an upside down mixture if you asked. The second one was the famous one opposite the baths, three pennyworth of chips if I remember and she would give you the crispy bits if you asked nice. Where we are now we have three good chippy,s within 5 min drive.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 07:21   #25

Back in the late 1940's early 50's there was a "Chip Shop" on the left hand side of Church St going up to the Church (just past Grimshaw St), the shop was one of three (Butchers, Fred Kirkhams and the Chippy) almost opposite 25 Church St. Bloody good tucker as well.l
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16   #26

Couple of things to do with Chippies! I was in Asda the other day and a couple of lanes over was a bloke that owned a Chinese chippy in town. He had one of those big trollys full, and I mean full of cheap bags of chips costing less than a quid, easily get 10 portions a bag and charge you £1.20+ a portion, the thief!!! Got charged over £12 for fish, chips and mushy peas the other day, me Mam and Dad would have turned in their graves!!!! Started to sound like them now!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:46   #27
Full Member+

We had a good one on Fern Gore Ave
love it
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:16   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Couple of things to do with Chippies! I was in Asda the other day and a couple of lanes over was a bloke that owned a Chinese chippy in town. He had one of those big trollys full, and I mean full of cheap bags of chips costing less than a quid, easily get 10 portions a bag and charge you £1.20+ a portion, the thief!!! Got charged over £12 for fish, chips and mushy peas the other day, me Mam and Dad would have turned in their graves!!!! Started to sound like them now!!!
Twelve pounds! I remember my first summer job, working at Dutton's in the malt store ... paid me just over ten pounds a week!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 18:01   #29

What is the cheapest fish and chips people can remember? In maybe 1964, the local chippy was 1 shilling and sixpence for fish and chips
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 18:14   #30

Yup same for us at the chippy on the corner! They used to do an upside down mixture for you as I'm sure you know, chips 1st then peas on top, I think that was a shilling!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..