Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/accy-old-photos-john-kellys-album-55269.html)

Retlaw 25-10-2010 11:16

Re: Accy Old Photo's - John Kelly's Album

All this argy bargy about where the Slaters Arms was proves a point,
not many of you know much about the history of Accrington in by gone days.
Just to put you all out of your misery, you wont find it on any modern photo, or on the spurious web sites on goggle, its been long gone.

The Slaters Arms was at 21 Whalley Rd, in 1869 the landlord was William Wilkinson.

Retlaw

katex 25-10-2010 11:44

This is true, Retlaw, lots of us have small knowledge of the history of our Borough, but it is threads like this that have stirred our interest and asked questions and not been afraid to come up with the incorrect answers.

Accyweb,Atarah/Bob and yourself has given me a new insight and wanting to know more. So don't criticise us please for our shortcoming, encourage us..:rolleyes: :)

Busman ... next please.

Retlaw 25-10-2010 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 855089)
This is true, Retlaw, lots of us have small knowledge of the history of our Borough, but it is threads like this that have stirred our interest and asked questions and not been afraid to come up with the incorrect answers.

Accyweb,Atarah/Bob and yourself has given me a new insight and wanting to know more. So don't criticise us please for our shortcoming, encourage us..:rolleyes: :)

Busman ... next please.

Okay dont get your knickers in a twist.
I've spent nearly my whole life looking into Accrington's
past, as did John Kelly, both of us have shared many of our photographs
and information with each other over the years, we tend to think others have the same interests, and get a miffed with some of the answers.

Retlaw

katex 25-10-2010 14:35

Actually did get me knickers in a twist today .... got both legs in the same hole after swimming ... LOL.

To be honest, in retrospect, do owe you a slight apology. You have done your best to encourage our members to take an interest in local history through your little puzzles, etc .. even though I went nearly bald trying to solve them .... :D

cashman 25-10-2010 15:42

know very little about the history of accy, mainly due i suppose to not having any interest when younger, or time, love it now n am fascinated by much of the stuff posted on here. suppose thats cos i'm old knackered n got time.:D

Busman747 25-10-2010 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 855082)
[Just to put you all out of your misery, you wont find it on any modern photo, or on the spurious web sites on goggle, its been long gone.

The Slaters Arms was at 21 Whalley Rd, in 1869 the landlord was William Wilkinson.

Retlaw

You are right Retlaw - except that the address listed in the company Directory in the reference section of Accy library says that it is No. 23. Maybe it covered both addresses in it's day:idunno:

Busman747 25-10-2010 16:51

As you are all in a detective mood, try this one. What is this building NOW?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...s/cornerof.jpg

If you have inside knowledge Retlaw, give the other members a chance to suss it out please?:biggrin8:

AccyGirl 25-10-2010 17:34

Is it Burnley Road? I don't live in Accrington now, and not sure what is there at the moment..but hope to visit very soon

Retlaw 25-10-2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 855100)
Actually did get me knickers in a twist today .... got both legs in the same hole after swimming ... LOL.

Doe's my bum look big in this.

To be honest, in retrospect, do owe you a slight apology. You have done your best to encourage our members to take an interest in local history through your little puzzles, etc .. even though I went nearly bald trying to solve them .... :D

Yes.:D:D:D:D:D
Retlaw.

Busman747 25-10-2010 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 855120)
Is it Burnley Road? I don't live in Accrington now, and not sure what is there at the moment..but hope to visit very soon

Nice one Accygirl. :thumbsup:

cashman 25-10-2010 18:04

Would it be where "Age Concern" is now Busman? old gas showrooms in a prior age.

Gremlin 25-10-2010 18:47

Thanks for info on the Slaters Arms. Next question, where about does Whalley road start?
Does it start at the top of the bus station road or opposite the Broadway. I may be able to work out where the pub was if I knew the answer. I don't intend making a trip into Accrington just to find out when we have such knowledgeable members of the forum to help me out.

Retlaw 25-10-2010 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 855178)
Thanks for info on the Slaters Arms. Next question, where about does Whalley road start?
Does it start at the top of the bus station road or opposite the Broadway. I may be able to work out where the pub was if I knew the answer. I don't intend making a trip into Accrington just to find out when we have such knowledgeable members of the forum to help me out.

Whalley Rd starts at the top of Peel St, and on the other side it starts at the bottom of Avenue Parade.

Retlaw.

JCB 25-10-2010 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 855178)

According to Shurmer's Guide , it starts where Abbey St ends , at the junction with Peel St , the bus station road .:)

Retlaw 25-10-2010 19:57

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 855203)
According to Shurmer's Guide , it starts where Abbey St ends , at the junction with Peel St , the bus station road .:)

Whats all the discusion for, its already been answered as to where Whalley Rd starts, and the location for Slaters Arms. Just in case it still hasn't sunk in, look at the attached map.

Retlaw.