Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2012, 18:55   #331
Senior Member+

Re: Allegations about Jimmy Saville: covered up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
When I said I always thought he was dodgy it never really occurred to me that he may be a paedophile, more that he was dangerous in a Krays sort of way, just goes to show how foolish we can be, looking at his use of charity work to gain access to victims, it's obvious what he was up to.
But taking a broader view, in the times he was operating, mainly the sixties to early eighties public perception was far different.
One example - I've been watching episodes of A Touch of Frost and thought I'd like to read the books that the series is based on. I downloaded the first book, written in the early eighties on to my Kindle, and having read it I am shocked! Inspector Frost and his colleagues are sex obsessed, sexist, racist dinosaurs who can't distinguish between children and adults - one bit has Frost finding obscene photos of children taken by a vicar and doing nothing because 'he wasn't doing any harm', in others he speaks sexually of being interested in twelve year old girls. Not the cosy Inspector Frost we know from the telly at all!
What I'm saying is that this was the culture of the time which allowed Jimmy Saville to do what he did throughout his life with no repercussions.
That's partly true - I think sex abuse pre sort of the 90's was overlooked more than it is now and that was linked in with the attitude "Children should be seen and not heard!" So if I child complained about being abused it was in the culture to slap them down!

I read an article in last weeks Saturday Mail that in the early 70's a couple of big rock bands had girls knickers as part of their record - one was Alice Cooper, a pair of knickers was part of their record sleeve.

Also a well known term was Jail Bait! meaning a girl under 16 who was sexually attractive to adult males, but could go to prison for - this was a buzz term in the rock media at the time.

Last edited by kestrelx; 13-10-2012 at 19:02.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2012, 19:23   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
That's partly true - I think sex abuse pre sort of the 90's was overlooked more than it is now and that was linked in with the attitude "Children should be seen and not heard!" So if I child complained about being abused it was in the culture to slap them down!

I read an article in last weeks Saturday Mail that in the early 70's a couple of big rock bands had girls knickers as part of their record - one was Alice Cooper, a pair of knickers was part of their record sleeve.

Also a well known term was Jail Bait! meaning a girl under 16 who was sexually attractive to adult males, but could go to prison for - this was a buzz term in the rock media at the time.
The term 'jail bait' has been mentioned throughout the book I have referred to. Also it seems that if children were abused it was their fault because they were asking for it. Amazingly I was a teenager at this time but it seems I have had my rose tinted spectacles on and forgotten this stuff, whilst wishing we were back in a Life On Mars scenario with Gene Hunt!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 21:34   #333
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
The term 'jail bait' has been mentioned throughout the book I have referred to. Also it seems that if children were abused it was their fault because they were asking for it. Amazingly I was a teenager at this time but it seems I have had my rose tinted spectacles on and forgotten this stuff, whilst wishing we were back in a Life On Mars scenario with Gene Hunt!
A girl I went out with (who was 20+ at the time in the 80's), who went out with 1 of the Glitter band, said to me that the Glitter band were into under 16 girls. This is before all the Gary Glitter thing came about.

Now this film "Withnail and I" is a cult film but one part, 0.51 on this video he's shouting at school girls and then saying "little tarts they love it!"

So it's an undercurrent of 60's and 70's culture that is a fact.

Last edited by kestrelx; 13-10-2012 at 21:39.
Old 13-10-2012, 22:08   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post

The Alice Cooper album is School's Out. That's nothing compared to the sleeve cover of Blind Faith's album. The cover continues to be used for the CD.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 22:18   #335

I think looking at the situation from our current world of political correctness that in the years up until the early eighties people generally gave little thought to girls indulging in underage sex - if girls were doing that then they were generally considered to be up for it and to deserve everything that happened to them. The idea of paedophilia didn't really exist other than weirdos abducting children every now and again until Esther Rantzen highlighted it on her programme in the mid to late eighties.
I am sure that this is why Jimmy Savile was able to operate as he did, any allegations made at that time would have been considered as being the girl's fault for being too provocative and no fault of Jim's. It was more the norm at that time.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 06:14   #336
Senior Member+

Jimmy Savile was asked "What do you do in your camper van?" His reply was, "Anyone I can get my hands on!"
Old 16-10-2012, 08:54   #337
I am Banned

Re: Sir Jimmy Saville

we all know Jimmy Saville liked his girls the Same as his Whiskey - Aged 13 yrs, and Mixed up with Coke
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 09:07   #338
Senior Member+

Don't include me, I didn't know.
Old 16-10-2012, 09:48   #339
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
we all know Jimmy Saville liked his girls the Same as his Whiskey - Aged 13 yrs, and Mixed up with Coke
No we didn't all know that, that is why the majority of us are shocked and disappointed by these revelations.

If you knew this while he was alive why didn't you as a 'responsible' person report him to the authorities?

Please don't claim to be joking because your comment is like you, of the lowest quality.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 10:02   #340
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Do not feed the troll, its hard but i'm trying.
Old 16-10-2012, 10:07   #341
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i'm trying.
Yes you are.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 10:48   #342
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No we didn't all know that, that is why the majority of us are shocked and disappointed by these revelations.

If you knew this while he was alive why didn't you as a 'responsible' person report him to the authorities?

Please don't claim to be joking because your comment is like you, of the lowest quality.

I'm just disappointed by the recent revelations
It was only a joke/ bit of banter

If you knew this while he was alive i would of said something but reporting him to the police would'nt of done anything he was "untouchable" as i think he was the pedo elites top man plus he had links to krays,richardsons,charles etc you'll be saying i'm complicit with these crimes next
Old 16-10-2012, 12:28   #343
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
as i think he was the pedo elites top man plus he had links to krays,richardsons,charles etc you'll be saying i'm complicit with these crimes next
That would be impossible to be complicit, as yeh require 6 more brain cells to acquire Half Wit standard.
Old 16-10-2012, 13:29   #344
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That would be impossible to be complicit, as yeh require 6 more brain cells to acquire Half Wit standard.
Now then Now then,,, play nice cash,,,,,I bet you've a jim'll fix it badge( to stay on topic)
Old 17-10-2012, 16:19   #345
God Member

John Simpson details another BBC predator in his biography
Home | Mail Online
...and Ester Rancid is removed from the website of the National Association for People Abused in Childhood.
Esther Rantzen sacked in wake of Savile scandal

The future of the BBC looks grimmer by the day.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..