Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2014, 19:48   #856
Beacon of light

Re: Allegations about Jimmy Saville: covered up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

The DLT incident was 19 years ago. It was a grope,not that it makes it ok but, Why didn't she complain at the time?

kerrrrrching
What is the Kerrching thing?
Are you suggesting she alleged the incident to gain financially?
If so then that is a bit low.
19 years ago or not it makes no difference.
These people who feel, that because of their celebrity status, they can get away with groping young girls need to be given the strong message that it is wrong.
It is almost as if you are saying that 19 years ago women were seen purely as sexual objects and it was something that came with the territory.

In 1966 I was working in a mill....I was 19 years old and newly married......one of the men I worked alongside thought it was just fine to cop a feel of my bum......I just happened to have a spanner in my hand and he copped a feel of my spanner right across his knuckles.

Needless to say he didn't come near my bum again and sported a very handsome purple bruise for a couple of weeks. I hope he explained it to his wife truthfully.

Not everyone reacts to such incidents in the same way...maybe she thought it was her fault...quite a few victims do......maybe she was too embarrassed to admit what he had done.
DtheP47 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-09-2014, 20:24   #857

I've just seen Travis's statement outside court. What an arrogant man he is. He has escaped a prison sentence, but still tries to make out he is hard done by.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 20:35   #858
Beacon of light

That is the real problem with this guy...it was his arrogance that got him into trouble and he has learned nothing....absolutely nothing.
Michael1954 likes this.
Old 27-09-2014, 00:08   #859
Senior Member+

So he squeezed her ass, how many of the posters on here did it many, many years ago - how many of us would be on the Sex Offenders Register now - and I could include a couple or so females in that group.
Yes things do stick in minds - the first time something happened somewhere quiet, on a number of occasions when the girl took the lead. Do chaps now start accusing girls of leading them astray?
Where is this all going to end, and how many should be judged in the light of the time that they occurred. I just feel that there has to be a line drawn somewhere
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 27-09-2014, 04:12   #860
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
So he squeezed her ass, how many of the posters on here did it many, many years ago - how many of us would be on the Sex Offenders Register now - and I could include a couple or so females in that group.
Yes things do stick in minds - the first time something happened somewhere quiet, on a number of occasions when the girl took the lead. Do chaps now start accusing girls of leading them astray?
Where is this all going to end, and how many should be judged in the light of the time that they occurred. I just feel that there has to be a line drawn somewhere
A jury of 6 men and 6 women found him guilty Mr Yates. They had all the evidence in front of them and their life experiences will have been a component in their deliberations.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 06:55   #861
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
These people who feel, that because of their celebrity status, they can get away with groping young girls need to be given the strong message that it is wrong.
It is almost as if you are saying that 19 years ago women were seen purely as sexual objects and it was something that came with the territory.

In 1966 I was working in a mill....I was 19 years old and newly married......one of the men I worked alongside thought it was just fine to cop a feel of my bum......I just happened to have a spanner in my hand and he copped a feel of my spanner right across his knuckles.

Needless to say he didn't come near my bum again and sported a very handsome purple bruise for a couple of weeks. I hope he explained it to his wife truthfully.

Not everyone reacts to such incidents in the same way...maybe she thought it was her fault...quite a few victims do......maybe she was too embarrassed to admit what he had done.
I think there's a difference between thinking it's acceptable behaviour, and thinking its a criminal offence worthy of losing your house and career over M.
He "goosed" someone, he didn't systematically rape kids like others in this thread.
I dare say a lot of men of a certain age group have goosed a woman at one time or another.It should have been dealt with at the time, a swift smack around the chops would have sufficed since she didn't have a spanner to hand.

I'm just unsure if being dragged through two court cases and losing your house in the process is proportional punishment for once groping someone's boobs etc.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:45   #862
Beacon of light

Yes, he as you say 'goosed' someone.
You say that as if it is acceptable behaviour.....as if it was acceptable back then, more than it is today.
It is never acceptable for a mant o foist unwanted attentions on a young woman.
I wonder what your reaction would be if this girl had been your daughter, or your wife.
Would you want such behaviour to be seen as acceptable?
And who is to say that this was not a preliminary to something more sinister.

As for him losing his house and his job......well everything we do has a price.....that is the price he has had to pay.

It has not taught him any humility....he is still an arrogant individual who seems to think he has done nothing wrong.
Old 27-09-2014, 08:52   #863
God Member

If his indecent assaults had been exposed at the time they occurred, he would not have been allowed to continue in the job which provided him with wealth. so his move to a much smaller home now is not really a loss - more like a restoration to how things should have been for quite a time.
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:55   #864
Beacon of light

Quote:
It seems that as the years have gone by women have aspired to do the things that men have done through the ages.
Today girls go out and get into drinking competitions....are found in the gutter half senseless through drink and covered in vomit. What a picture that paints. It still doesn't mean that they should be taken advantage of.....does it?
Girls think that this is the way to have fun. In my book it isn't...but then I am not of this era.

I guess that it is most men's fantasy to be groped by some nubile young lady.....after all that would be a preliminary to getting above 'the laughing band'
Some may not be aware what that means, but I think you will know what I am talking about as it would be your era(and mine too).

Back then, I would have found it unacceptable to have any man touch me inappropriately(and I have given you an example of my reaction to such an event). It was no more acceptable then than it is now.....the difference in this situation was that this creep thought he could get away with it because he was a DJ on national TV and radio....he saw himself as being above being reported....that girls would be delighted to have his attention.
He was wrong then and is still wrong now.
DtheP47 likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-09-2014 at 08:58.
Old 27-09-2014, 17:18   #865
Senior Member+

hmmm

_lee_travis.jpg_de27-1.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 27-09-2014, 18:05   #866
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
A jury of 6 men and 6 women found him guilty Mr Yates. They had all the evidence in front of them and their life experiences will have been a component in their deliberations.
So what are you saying?
Do you have any idea of the ages of the jury members?
Do you know the actual composition of the jury?
Did you listen to the evidence?
Have you read a transcript of the proceedings?
How do you know what particular aspects of the evidence influenced their decision?
Old 27-09-2014, 18:21   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

As an engineer, I ask, just out of interest, so I can get a proper picture,was it Whitworth or BSF.
putsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 18:38   #868
Senior Member+

The case was mainly based on hearsay which is pretty worrying for British justice.I can remember in my late teens and early twenties when I had a physique, women (particularly older women) touching me up at work for a laugh and it didn't leave me with mental issues .... I wonder how many of them have a large bank account....hmmm

password--Accyweb
Old 27-09-2014, 19:00   #869
I am Banned

Quote:
So what are you saying?
Do you have any idea of the ages of the jury members?
Do you know the actual composition of the jury?
Did you listen to the evidence?
Have you read a transcript of the proceedings?
How do you know what particular aspects of the evidence influenced their decision?
1)What am I saying? A jury deliberated the pros and cons of the evidence and found him guilty.
2)No
3)Only the gender.
4)No
5)No
6)I don't.

google "jury of ones peers" for more info.

Last edited by DtheP47; 27-09-2014 at 19:07. Reason: and another thing
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 19:00   #870
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by putsinker View Post
As an engineer, I ask, just out of interest, so I can get a proper picture,was it Whitworth or BSF.
It was Whitworth!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..