Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2011, 07:17   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Editing and deleting posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
having said this the mod who edits or deletes a post should also pm the member with an explanation of the reasons for the action.
That would have been helpful, in knowing why, and how this was different from other posts, and was therefore deleted, but didn't happen.

I honestly didn't know who had deleted the posts, from checking who'd been online, so didn't know who to pm, to air my thoughts.

Thanks.

Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2011, 07:18   #32
Resting in Peace

in this case just report it and it will be picked up on by all the mods and sorted
Old 25-02-2011, 07:39   #33
Beacon of light

There have been many times that a certain member on here has been down right insulting.......and in more than one thread.......whether the mods have noticed it or not, nothing has been done about it(maybe because the post has not been reported).......well from now on when I spot this person being insulting or abusive, I am going to hit that 'report' button. I hope that the same kind of justice will be meted out, and his attitude will not be treated like it is a joke.
Old 25-02-2011, 08:02   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Please do Margaret
Old 25-02-2011, 08:59   #35
Resting in Peace

To be quite honest Its very rare I press the report button, its usually to report spam. I know that sometimes threads get out of hand but I live in the word if you put your head above the parapet you expect to be shot at, the only thing I try to refrain from is bad language, something which seems very tolerable on Facebook
Old 25-02-2011, 10:07   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There have been many times that a certain member on here has been down right insulting.......and in more than one thread.......whether the mods have noticed it or not, nothing has been done about it(maybe because the post has not been reported).......well from now on when I spot this person being insulting or abusive, I am going to hit that 'report' button. I hope that the same kind of justice will be meted out, and his attitude will not be treated like it is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Please do Margaret
Personally dont think thats a good idea! fer me if someone feels personally insulted/offended then that member should get off there arse n report it themselves, aint hard/aint rocket science, then a mod can decide if justified or not. dont report anyone that insults me please margaret, i can take care of meself. if individual members did as i suggest, surely it would make the mods job easier? save trawling through every post, thing is wi the written word all of us are different, some view a thing as offensive, others the same thing as banter, everyone has a different sense of humour,whats happening at the moment fer whatever reason, aint doin accyweb any favours, just my 2 cents.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:15   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Personally dont think thats a good idea! fer me if someone feels personally insulted/offended then that member should get off there arse n report it themselves, aint hard/aint rocket science, then a mod can decide if justified or not. dont report anyone that insults me please margaret, i can take care of meself. if individual members did as i suggest, surely it would make the mods job easier? save trawling through every post, thing is wi the written word all of us are different, some view a thing as offensive, others the same thing as banter, everyone has a different sense of humour,whats happening at the moment fer whatever reason, aint doin accyweb any favours, just my 2 cents.
Thanks cashy couldn't have put it better myself, in total agreement
Old 25-02-2011, 10:16   #38
Beacon of light

Quote:
Cashy I know that you can stick up for yourself........and would not dream to presume when you had been insulted.(insults come in many forms and some members appear to be much more tolerant than others)

The person I am referring to, seems to mainly have a go at females with snide comments and uses ridicule........and while this may not be seen as abuse, it actually is.

I think the mods do a tremendous job, and we should all really be moderating our own posts to a great degree........and I like to think that in the main we do, but when members post something purely to get a rise out of members and 'wind them up'(even in an innocuous thread) as this person puts it......then that is trolling........and I will say so. It isn't an opinion, it is fact.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:37   #39
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Totally agree & if ever I am insulted I think I can find the werewithall to deal with it myself, either in a post or through the mod system.
Quote:

The person I am referring to, seems to mainly have a go at females with snide comments and uses ridicule........and while this may not be seen as abuse, it actually is.

but when members post something purely to get a rise out of members and 'wind them up'(even in an innocuous thread) as this person puts it......then that is trolling........
I'm sure the females that come on here can look after themselves & need no preferential treatment.

Quote:
and I will say so. It isn't an opinion, it is fact.
No it isn't fact, it is your opinion, something I doubt that anyone could stop you from expressing here or in real life.

We all set ourselves up at times to be knocked down by some other poster, that is part of the whole ethos of this type of thing.

If you can't stand the heat, etc.
Old 25-02-2011, 12:02   #40
Beacon of light

Yes, Less most of the females on here can look after themselves and will come back with a response, but that doesn't mean they have to put up with the nasty comments and snide remarks that this person posts(and it isn't you, by the way).

And as for trolling.......Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards.......not my opinion , but an internet site definition....unless of course you meant that it was my opinion that the person in question, was trolling....in that case, yes it was, but with good evidence from past posts in a variety of threads, to a variety of people.
Old 25-02-2011, 12:04   #41
Senior Member+

I have said this before and I will say it again. This is a public discussion forum where people can post their opinions on a wide range of subjects this in turn prompts other users to post their own opinions on the same subject (not exactly a hard concept to grasp!) this by its very nature promotes debate on said subject and as every person is different then every opinion is therefore also different and thus you therefore naturally end up with several people expressing several differing opinions ergo an argument! should therefore all threads with more than one differing opinion be removed in the interests of abiding by the rules I put forth exhibit A) an example of a rather lengthy argument which started as a simple post on a completely different subject which became offensive and abusive towards one forum member however remained completely unmoderated. http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...hat-45960.html As has been said before the same rules apply to all or not at all the process of moderation can neither be selective nor prejudicial, it must be completely impartial and consistant in all cases.
Old 25-02-2011, 14:38   #42
Senior Member+

just had a further thought on this subject - a recent thread of mine was deleted from the forum and as you say a message was sent by the mod responsible however when I replied with a reasonable challenge to this decision on the grounds that the thread was no different to several other threads and posts on the forum I am still awaiting a response several weeks later. seems that the one rule for one and another rule for another still applies and there seems to be a flaw in the system of following correct forum procedures.
Old 25-02-2011, 15:31   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If that was me Matt I am sorry I did not get back to you but I don't remember it.
I try to treat everyone the same, yes I have friends on here and a few people I don't like but I don't believe that changes how I moderate.

I agree we do leave some posts that are off topic as they can add to the discussion. It's when a thread goes off straight away or gets nasty that it needs sorting out.

I suspect that the posters of most of the posts I deleted knew they were bad posts and half expected them to be removed.
Old 25-02-2011, 16:03   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If that was me Matt I am sorry I did not get back to you but I don't remember it.
I try to treat everyone the same, yes I have friends on here and a few people I don't like but I don't believe that changes how I moderate.

I agree we do leave some posts that are off topic as they can add to the discussion. It's when a thread goes off straight away or gets nasty that it needs sorting out.

I suspect that the posters of most of the posts I deleted knew they were bad posts and half expected them to be removed.
You had me until the very last sentence.

No I did not think they were 'bad posts'. Certainly no more 'bad' than thousands of others on here.

So no, I didn't 'half expect' them to be removed. Especially as you'd left one post intact in which a member had been rude to another named member, Bernadtte, and others members in general.

So no. I wasn't 'half expecting' it.

I honestly didn't know who was responsible at the time. It just seemed arbitrary, and illogical.

If I had known it was you, I'd still think exactly the same way. Though I certainly wouldn't have taken it personally, as you and I consider friends.

It just didn't make any sense at all.

I'll ask again, in order that I don't risk having more posts deleted.

How is this thread different from the one you decided needed hacking last night? Certainly my own posts are of a very similar tone.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ccy-46638.html

This apparently you found amusing, rather than wanting to delete.

Can you please explain the difference, so it's clear to us, the members.

Rules should be applied equally, otherwise accusations of bias could arise, and this needs clarifying.

Old 25-02-2011, 16:04   #45
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
but that doesn't mean they have to put up with the nasty comments and snide remarks that this person posts
As already stated, they, like you can look after themselves, no need for special protection, (from insults), or is this yet another sub context of equality we men will have to put up with?

Play the game as do the others, don't get sexist just 'cos he/she/it does.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..