Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2008, 23:19   #31
Loz

Re: Should women drivers be Banned ?

Oh i haven't mentioned the half of it!!
There is also my aunty susan who never stops at road junctions,just speeds right across them,my other friends mum who started to drive us into town then stopped after a minute because she thought she was still too drunk to drive and going back to my mum in law she was backing up to drive off a street onto bolton avenue in huncoat and ended up in the middle of the fields and got stuck!!
My mum had the worst luck ever when she drove,she was once hit by somebody escaping from jail and also nearly killed us overtaking about three cars on the road by the old mother redcap and don't get me started on my sister and best friend!!
I think i'm safer off the roads you haven't heard about my attempts at driving yet!!
Old 24-07-2008, 06:42   #32
God Member

Actually the two worst drivers that I know ARE women! But I don't necessarily think it's BECAUSE they're women - I think it's because they don't drive very often or very far so everytime they get into a car again they have to re-learn how to do it.

I'm forever having to tell hubby that even if we're late to get somewhere he doesn't have to kill us to get there on time!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 07:07   #33
God Member

better 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years early for teh next!

I've always been a fan of regular tests and we have discussed them in depth on here before. At teh end of teh day you take charge of a lethal weapn, why not make you regularly prove you know what you're doing!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 10:04   #34
Resting in Peace

To be honest, how many drivers could say, hand on heart that they would pass the driving test with flying colours if they had to retake it. When you orignally pass the test you don't learn to drive you learn to pass a test, its only when you've passed that you start learning to drive
Old 24-07-2008, 11:02   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be honest, how many drivers could say, hand on heart that they would pass the driving test with flying colours if they had to retake it. When you orignally pass the test you don't learn to drive you learn to pass a test, its only when you've passed that you start learning to drive
It would help a great deal if someone explained to drivers of both sexes that an inverted triangle at a road junction is in fact a give way sign.Seems every time I get to a mini roundabout only me knows.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 14:10   #36

Yes but come on, if you look out and see someone sqeezing in to park behind your pride and joy, don't you just, without hesitating, hope it's not a woman driver ?

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES:
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 19:07   #37
Passed away 25-11-09

Only a male could describe a metal box with 4 rubber tyres and a combustion engine as his "pride and joy". It's a car, right? It may be your "status symbol"; it may have cost you an arm and a leg but it's, basically, just a means of getting from A to B.

And, no, most of the women I know can park very well. Then again, I know several chaps who are, shall we say, a bit rubbish in that department.
Old 24-07-2008, 20:59   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Only a male could describe a metal box with 4 rubber tyres and a combustion engine as his "pride and joy". It's a car, right? It may be your "status symbol"; it may have cost you an arm and a leg but it's, basically, just a means of getting from A to B.

And, no, most of the women I know can park very well. Then again, I know several chaps who are, shall we say, a bit rubbish in that department.
The "pride and joy" is a guy thing .... and you are right, I know a lot of men who park by ear. A bus gets you from A to B .... your car usually, unless you hit something and need a hook, gets you from A to A.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 21:11   #39

Slightly off topic, did anyone see Top Gear with the Nissan that was speed limited, but using GPS knew when you went to a track and took the limits off ? I think thats a fantastic idea, and will stop speeding on motorways. Max speed 80.

As for this debate, I think most of the impatient drivers are men, most of those who seem "afraid" of driving are women. I agree with a modified test every 5 years. I`ve been driving 20ish years, and I wouldnt pass the "official" driving test now...for a start my hands aren`t always at 10 to 2, only use handbrake when parked etc. However a quick 30 minute drive round the block to prove you aren`t totally incompetent would do.
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 21:39   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Should women drivers be Banned ?

It is a statistical fact that young male drivers are more likely to have or cause an accident.

However I have noticed these last few years that many young women are getting as aggressive as young men. Many a time I’ve been tempted to stop and ask the young woman following me if she wanted to see what was in my boot.

And to answer the original question – NO!

The five years and re-test idea may on the face of it seem like a good idea but the present testing system can barely cope with new drivers trying to pass their test so there would be no chance of introducing a five year re-test.

The real answer, as someone has already pointed out, is to teach people to drive properly and safely and not just to pass the test.
Old 24-07-2008, 21:57   #41

I take on board the comment about being taught how to drive properly. Like everything else though, familiarity breeds contempt. In general people will always adopt bad driving habits.

Slightly squiffy of the topic. I have never understood why a driving ban is handed down by the courts to some pleb who doesn’t hold a driving licence…is there a point, where is the punishment ?
Old 24-07-2008, 22:11   #42
God Member

There is no doubt that driver education is important ... as are graduated licences ... and experience. But there are some people who are just plain bad drivers. They don't react; they over react; they panic; they yak on cell phones, they crank the tunes; and they ignore warnings: for example, if you are driving in this area after dark, and you see a sign with an outline of a deer on it and the words: "Warning, severe night danger", it is appropriate to be on the look out for Bambi .... and Slow Down, put on the high beams, look for their eyes, and don't be surprised if a deer comes leaping out of the trees. And in winter driving conditions, if you start to slide around, Don't Brake hard, or you will lose control of your vehicle.

And I don't think that it is a gender thing that makes one driver better than another.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 15:33   #43

Only a woman could describe a Jaguar S type, a Porsche 911 or lets say an Audi R8 for example as "just a means of getting from A to B." ....

I see nobody has discussed the resulting enviormental benefits to my original question... less cars on the road so fuel would by market forces become cheaper, more kids walking to school so less obesity ! And women having to walk more than 25 yards to the supermarket so maybe they will start to regain some of thier long lost figures.

There are further benefits but these might appear a little sexist so i'll refrain .
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 16:37   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
Only a woman could describe a Jaguar S type, a Porsche 911 or lets say an Audi R8 for example as "just a means of getting from A to B." ....

I see nobody has discussed the resulting enviormental benefits to my original question... less cars on the road so fuel would by market forces become cheaper, more kids walking to school so less obesity ! And women having to walk more than 25 yards to the supermarket so maybe they will start to regain some of thier long lost figures.

There are further benefits but these might appear a little sexist so i'll refrain .
A little bloody sexist, if ever I want to come up with a plan to get up the female populations collective noses, i'll drop you a PM archiveuk
Old 25-07-2008, 16:58   #45
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Should women drivers be Banned ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post

Hang on! I consider my car as just a means of getting from “A” to “B”.

In fact you will find that most women will give their car a name and talk about it as if it were a real person.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..