Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/missing-child-in-portugal-madeleine-mccann-30497.html)

Tinkerbelle 13-05-2007 11:32

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Yeah accymel was telling me about that. I hadn't heard. You'd have thought they'd have made a bigger issue of something so distinctive to identify her.

slinky 13-05-2007 11:39

I had heard of this right at the beginning when she went missing, then it wasn't said again. yes you would have thought that they would have made a point of letting people know more about her eye, because this is a way of identifying her if they have changed her appearance.:mad:

Can't believe there is still no news yet :(

lillypad 13-05-2007 15:17

Just been reading last couple of posts. I didn't know about the eye i haven't heard anything about it!! It just shows how many other people wouldn't of heard about it? Think the police should make a big issue of this

Lilly 13-05-2007 21:55

It was mentioned on Sky news today that obviously the parents want to return home with Madeleine and they certainly do not want to come back until they get some news of her whereabouts.What an agonising decision to have to make,when to come back?

slinky 13-05-2007 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 423710)
It was mentioned on Sky news today that obviously the parents want to return home with Madeleine and they certainly do not want to come back until they get some news of her whereabouts.What an agonising decision to have to make,when to come back?

Well it says on the news web site that the parents are staying there. Their lawyers have flown out cos they are in court tomoz :(

WillowTheWhisp 13-05-2007 21:59

There's another thought about why the police may have wanted to keep quiet about the eye. If the kidnappers still believe they can disguise the child and get away with keeping or selling her then they are less likely to harm her. If however they believed that they could never pass her off as their own then it may just lead to something none of us want to think about. They may dump her somewhere still alive or it may put her life in danger so perhaps the police felt it better to play that down.

Lilly 13-05-2007 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 423711)
Well it says on the news web site that the parents are staying there. Their lawyers have flown out cos they are in court tomoz :(

They didn't say on Sky when they'd be coming back but they will have to make a decision to come back at some stage in the future won't they?

WillowTheWhisp 13-05-2007 22:08

Why are the parents in court?

Lilly 13-05-2007 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 423723)
Why are the parents in court?

Apparently it's the law in Portugal that when you've given a statement to the police regarding a crime you then need to go to court and have the statement verified in front of a judge.

cashman 13-05-2007 23:47

the thing that really dismays me about this terrible thing- (press have ferreted out) portugals track record with these cases, seems very dismal too me.:(

grannyclaret 13-05-2007 23:52

I diddent know about her eye,,,that surely cant be disguised,,,,

WillowTheWhisp 14-05-2007 07:51

No I wouldn't have thought so Granny, apart from having her wear sunglasses.That's why it worries me that the kidnappers hearing that they have no way of passing the child off as their own could be driven to desperate measures to get rid of her.:( I thought that may have been why the police didn't circulate that information - for the child's safety.

lillypad 14-05-2007 08:39

i was watching gmtv this morning and the parents had done a press conference and they said that they can just not contemplate about coming home!!! how agonising is that!! :-(

flashy 14-05-2007 08:43

i watched that too, and i cried :(

lillypad 14-05-2007 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 423780)
i watched that too, and i cried :(

so did i:(:( They must be going through HELL:(

Traceyb37 14-05-2007 09:09

Its very upsetting watching what her parents are going through,we could never understand how they are feeling, the pain is on their faces so sad!

Lets us all hope this turns out a happy outcome and soon!

Tracey

aromalady 14-05-2007 09:40

i feel so sad that this little girl is still missing, and very frustrated at the red tape issues. what should or should not be shown! how much information can jebordise the outcome! someone, somewhere knows a lot more about this than is forthcoming, you,d have thought even sheer greed would open some mouths. but nothing different, unless something else has come up since the above thread. to the heartless b------s who took her, look deep inside your soul, because one day you,ll have to justify what you have done, and god help you. grow a spine, and show some compassion, this family have suffered enough, give the child back, if not personally then leave her somewhere safe, i would gladly act has a go between has would thousands of other people, do it now before another heart is shattered.

grannyclaret 14-05-2007 09:48

She could be anywhere by now,,,,,poor little thing..

Traceyb37 14-05-2007 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by aromalady (Post 423796)
i feel so sad that this little girl is still missing, and very frustrated at the red tape issues. what should or should not be shown! how much information can jebordise the outcome! someone, somewhere knows a lot more about this than is forthcoming, you,d have thought even sheer greed would open some mouths. but nothing different, unless something else has come up since the above thread. to the heartless b------s who took her, look deep inside your soul, because one day you,ll have to justify what you have done, and god help you. grow a spine, and show some compassion, this family have suffered enough, give the child back, if not personally then leave her somewhere safe, i would gladly act has a go between has would thousands of other people, do it now before another heart is shattered.

I totally agree with you!

How can someone keep this beautiful child from her heart broken parents!

grannyclaret 14-05-2007 09:55

Thats easy to explain...
MONEY...or...DIRTY OLD MEN

Traceyb37 14-05-2007 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 423804)
Thats easy to explain...
MONEY...or...DIRTY OLD MEN

Lets hope its not dirty old men!!!

grannyclaret 14-05-2007 10:05

I know...Lets hope its someone who just wants a child

panther 14-05-2007 12:29

i keep checking sky news every hour just to see if they have found her!!
hoping that today is going to be the day they find her!

Traceyb37 14-05-2007 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 423863)
i keep checking sky news every hour just to see if they have found her!!
hoping that today is going to be the day they find her!

I have sky news on most of the day!

Yes lets hope today is a happy day for her family!

Traceyb37 14-05-2007 18:43

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...265689,00.html

The latest on sky news!

Traceyb37 14-05-2007 18:50

Hope its not bad news! Just been on news this person who owes the villa is english and been on the sky news talking about maddie!

grego 14-05-2007 19:09

Thanks for the link Tracey, hope they reveal more soon.

Lilly 14-05-2007 19:49

Got Sky News on now.High level search taking place in villa 100 yards from where the McCanns were staying.An English woman owns the villa and her son is a frequent visitor.No-one has been arrested yet but the police are looking closely at the son who has been hanging around the area and has been translating what the police have been saying for the media and the McCanns.They are now considering some of his actions suspicious.Hope to God that this is not another Huntley and that this ends the search for Madeleine,finding her alive and well.

flashy 14-05-2007 20:00

police are questioning more than 1 person...fingers crossed she is ok

robert murat and his mum jennifer murat

slinky 14-05-2007 20:15

OH PLEASE GOD FIND HER ALIVE!!!!

I will have the news on all night and I will more than likely sleep with it on so that if I wake during the night I can check.

God I hope this has a happy ending. I hope that because a women is involved nothing sinister has happened....... but even women can be as bad :(

flashy 14-05-2007 20:16

ive got sky news on too

Lilly 14-05-2007 20:22

I'm praying with every fibre of my being that Madeleine is found alive.I'm sitting here watching sky news,biting my nails and feel quite sick too.Makes me wonder,if I feel like this what must the parents be feeling at this moment?

flashy 14-05-2007 20:24

your not the only one

slinky 14-05-2007 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 424165)
I'm praying with every fibre of my being that Madeleine is found alive.I'm sitting here watching sky news,biting my nails and feel quite sick too.Makes me wonder,if I feel like this what must the parents be feeling at this moment?

I think we are all feeling the same Lilly :(

We have waited so long to hear the faintest bit of news that they are getting closer to finding her, what them bloody parents must be going through.

is it a good sign that they have named them?? because i didn't think they did this until they have very good evidence. :confused: You never know just how much they know.

flashy 14-05-2007 20:41

i reckon if he does have her, if he hadnt been found out i reckon he would of told everyone she was his daughter cos he has one who looks like maddie in england

slinky 14-05-2007 20:46

the forensics are leaving?? does that mean they have found something or not??

flashy 14-05-2007 20:46

well they've took some boxes with them

Traceyb37 14-05-2007 21:21

Is This Another Ian Huntley! NEWS SAID THEY HAVE TOOK AWAY SOME THINGS!

Hope Not!

slinky 14-05-2007 21:27

His cousin is speaking very highly of him :( I reserve judgment til something concrete comes through.

Its all very confusing. But still they must have some good ideas.......I didnt think they usually named names.:(

flashy 14-05-2007 21:28

but they named that first person they took in for questioning when those prostitutes where murdered in suffolk and it turned out not to be him

slinky 14-05-2007 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 424212)
but they named that first person they took in for questioning when those prostitutes where murdered in suffolk and it turned out not to be him

But did they go into forensic tests on his house?? I cant remember.:confused:

flashy 14-05-2007 21:31

yes they did, it showed his house with the white tent outside

slinky 14-05-2007 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 424217)
yes they did, it showed his house with the white tent outside

Ahhhh right. I think it just seems more suspicious with this one because this is the most news we have had about Maddie's case because of the laws in Portugal.

flashy 14-05-2007 21:36

yeah here's to hoping he has had her and she is ok

slinky 14-05-2007 22:38

The man they have been questioning has been released :(

flashy 14-05-2007 22:40

:(.........

cashman 14-05-2007 22:43

to be honest think the police are clutching at straws! just pray they find the child SOON n WELL.

slinky 14-05-2007 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 424324)
to be honest think the police are clutching at straws! just pray they find the child SOON n WELL.

I hope not cashy :( I hope this isn't just to try and prove they are doing something.

panther 15-05-2007 08:46

well hes been released, and slinky i was thinking the same thing

flashy 15-05-2007 08:49

he was released last night panther

panther 15-05-2007 08:52

yeh i know only just seen it, i hope it isnt him, cuz if it is where is she??

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 09:41

Breaking news on sky news!!

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 09:41

Breaking news on sky news is that the portugal police have identified a suspect and its the guy who they took to police station last night! they are saying robert murat is a formal suspect!

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 09:48

Heres the link

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...265708,00.html

Tinkerbelle 15-05-2007 11:15

If I'm understanding the news report correctly, this Robert Murat was questioned for 19 hours yesterday, along with a Portuguese man and a German woman. Maybe speculation on my part, but that certainly ties in with the Portuguese police reporting that they where looking for 2 men and a woman seen with a young girl fitting Madeleine's description early last week.

God, I hope this is the break through and she's found safe.

grannyclaret 15-05-2007 11:18

me too ...............................

grego 15-05-2007 11:21

Yes I hope the whole thing comes to an end soon, hope she's found safe and well.

accymel 15-05-2007 11:23

It does have remenants of the Holly & Jessica case which is what its reminding me of sadly as it seemingly did with the reporters in the media that reported their concerns over this man.

THe portugese man & german woman are anounced as witnesses to the enquiry with Morat being the prime suspect atm

Tinkerbelle 15-05-2007 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 424501)
It does have remenants of the Holly & Jessica

I thought exactly same! The similarities are quite astonishing ... but I pray it doesn't end with the same conclusion ....

accymel 15-05-2007 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle (Post 424507)
I thought exactly same! The similarities are quite astonishing ... but I pray it doesn't end with the same conclusion ....

It is a quite scary thought & think maybe his mentality behind it was missing his own daughter or something on basis of what female abducters do one can only hope she is safe & well but hidden atm, praying shes found alive & well under the circumstances - well really hoping.

grannyclaret 15-05-2007 11:35

That Ian Huntley pretended to be very concerned too...hope this is not deyjavous,,

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 424514)
That Ian Huntley pretended to be very oncerned too...hope this is not deyjavous,,

Was thinking that myself!

accymel 15-05-2007 11:40

Think thats what got the british media concerned that this man was acting like Huntley, getting involved also finding out about the progress or being privvy to information, but this guy refused to have his picture taken for the papers & asked the journalist to delete it made her paticularly suspicious.

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 11:44

They are saying on the news he is an estate agent so has access to loads of properties!

grego 15-05-2007 12:19

When I heard that last night I thought they need to check all properties that he has access to.

Tombraider 15-05-2007 12:35

Fingers crossed this leads to the safe return of madeleine. It doesnt bear thinking about what the parents have been going through over the past two weeks.

cashman 15-05-2007 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 424516)
Think thats what got the british media concerned that this man was acting like Huntley, getting involved also finding out about the progress or being privvy to information, but this guy refused to have his picture taken for the papers & asked the journalist to delete it made her paticularly suspicious.

think what got british media concerned- the police wont tell em nowt. forgive my cynisism but i know people personally who have had unjustified crap from em. if it turns out to be the guy then ok, but people can ask to be "called suspects" in portugal if questioned,strange but true! but if the guy happens to be telling the truth @ innocent, then hes gonna have a crap life,for helping.

grannyclaret 15-05-2007 14:32

That lady newspaper rep,wants a pat on the back for being on the ball......

slinky 15-05-2007 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 424616)
think what got british media concerned- the police wont tell em nowt. forgive my cynisism but i know people personally who have had unjustified crap from em. if it turns out to be the guy then ok, but people can ask to be "called suspects" in portugal if questioned,strange but true! but if the guy happens to be telling the truth @ innocent, then hes gonna have a crap life,for helping.

I know what your saying cashy....but I'm afraid if they didn't chase things up just in case they buggered someones life up then there would be next to no chance of ever finding this little girl alive. If he is found innocent then there should be no reason why this should have hinder on the rest of his life.

cashman 15-05-2007 14:41

the thing is though, if people take it as- they got somebody at last, some will stop looking (people on holiday) etc, quite possibly and maybe not be as alert,and that helps no-one. aint saying they shouldn,t chase things up slinks,saying the press can be quite stupid.

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 424621)
I know what your saying cashy....but I'm afraid if they didn't chase things up just in case they buggered someones life up then there would be next to no chance of ever finding this little girl alive. If he is found innocent then there should be no reason why this should have hinder on the rest of his life.

I agree with you slinky this guy has been acting strangely round the reporters he should have know he would become a suspect with the things he was doing like asking reporters to delete his pics and said he was helping the McCanns as a translator which he has never talked to them, maybe he "is one of those people who get a kick of doing things like that" time will tell!

Also Local newspapers are reporting that two vehicles are being examined by police - one a green German VW van, the other a Hyundai car. Both had pictures of Madeleine in their windows.

grannyclaret 15-05-2007 14:44

But Maybe Cashy ,Someone Else Might Drop Their Guard If Its Not Him,,
I Hope So..

accymel 15-05-2007 14:48

Police press conference today 18.30 on sky

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 424634)

Last conference nothing more was said, hope this one gives more info, and some good news!!

Also just been on news saying his daughter could have been a twin of maddies they are double of each other friends say! very spooky!

slinky 15-05-2007 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 424634)

Hope there is better news. But we have been let down with these conferences before haven't we.

accymel 15-05-2007 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 424636)
Hope there is better news. But we have been let down with these conferences before haven't we.

Yup true, tho some news is better than none i presume they are going to say whats been in the news so far with the questioning of these people.

accymel 15-05-2007 15:00

EDIT police news conference 6pm!

grego 15-05-2007 15:29

Lets hope they have something concrete to say.

panther 15-05-2007 16:55

not enough evidence against to arrest main suspect!!
i can see nowt happening with this!

slinky 15-05-2007 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 424721)
not enough evidence against to arrest main suspect!!
i can see nowt happening with this!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: ffs

panther 15-05-2007 17:02

its on sky news now that miserable sod of a policeman giving statement

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 17:03

He is just saying what the news have told us all day! :mad:

panther 15-05-2007 17:06

is the sound funny or my telly??????

slinky 15-05-2007 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 424736)
is the sound funny or my telly??????

No the sound is awful.......my ears are hurting:mad:

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 17:07

The sound is awful! think they would sort it out!:confused:

panther 15-05-2007 17:08

saying now that they cant tell you who the suspect is, what are they talking about? im all confused now

Traceyb37 15-05-2007 17:10

They saying they have searched 5 houses! saying the people questioned are not suspects !!:mad:

Same thing every time they hold a press conference!

slinky 15-05-2007 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 424741)
saying now that they cant tell you who the suspect is, what are they talking about? im all confused now

there laws say they cant name the suspect.......but our reporters can, thats why we have been told who the suspect is.

panther 15-05-2007 18:25

ahhhh got ya!

WillowTheWhisp 15-05-2007 19:06

I think I can see their point in not saying much because then the suspects are less likely to panic. The child's safety is the most important thing.

junetta 15-05-2007 19:26

I just read that the parents dropped the twins off at a creche. Not having been through anything like this, thank God, but I feel a bit surprised. I'm sure I'd hang on to them like grim death and never let them out of my sight.

What do you reckon?

grego 15-05-2007 19:27

I think they're just trying to keep things normal for them and with all the interviews etc it would have an effect on the little ones.

Margaret Pilkington 15-05-2007 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 420856)
I hope this all ends with a favourable outcome, but it is beginning to have the Holly and Jessica feel to it.

This was my feeling, quite a while ago. Post #104

WillowTheWhisp 15-05-2007 20:09

I feel sorry for the poor parents. Whatever they do now regarding their children will always be criticised. If it was me I'd want them to be with family, grandparents maybe, but certainly not in the media circus which is surrounding the parents. They probably did make the right choice here just to keep them out of the publicity.

West Ender 15-05-2007 20:18

I haven't contributed to this thread up to now because my saying, "I hope they find her" etc., won't help and I don't see the point in repeating what's already in the media. I do feel, however, that the Media concentration on the "suspect" is getting out of hand.

The man in question may or may not be involved, I can't form an opinion because I am not there and I'm not privvy to any evidence, but the Press has already tried him and found him guilty. An article in the Daily Express refers to his having a "steely gaze" (so he must be guilty or, at least, shifty). It does, later, say that he has a glass eye. It refers to his always being around the police and "trying to get involved". It then goes on to say that he used to work as an interpreter with Norfolk Police - which may or may not have given him some impulsion to want to work with the Portugese Police. Most guilty fact of all - he lives close to the holiday complex - so that's it then, all wrapped up in a nutshell.

The impression I get from all this is that the Portugese Police have been inefficient from the start. With no other evidence than a "suspicion" by a British woman reporter they have dilligently searched for clues in this man's home and questioned him. This is nearly 2 weeks after the child disappeared. There is still no charge.

They may have got lucky, this man may be involved and they may solve the case. On the other hand, it may be a false trail and a waste of precious time.

Lilly 15-05-2007 20:48

Very shortly on Sky news they will be showing an interview with the main suspect in the Madeleine McCann case.I wouldn't have thought it appropriate under the circumstances for him to be speaking to the media.It's strange how the police can reveal so little information yet it's ok for the main suspect to be interviewed on television.

davo69 15-05-2007 20:52

they seem to have a very funny way the police over there

Lilly 15-05-2007 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 424848)
I just read that the parents dropped the twins off at a creche. Not having been through anything like this, thank God, but I feel a bit surprised. I'm sure I'd hang on to them like grim death and never let them out of my sight.

What do you reckon?

I think it's good that the parents have not lost sight of the fact that most people in life are good and trustworthy and have entrusted their twins to the care of the creche staff despite Madeleine's abduction from their apartment.I think they made a very sensible decision as it would not be healthy for the parents or the twins if they were to never let them out of their sight again.

lillypad 15-05-2007 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 424933)
I think it's good that the parents have not lost sight of the fact that most people in life are good and trustworthy and have entrusted their twins to the care of the creche staff despite Madeleine's abduction from their apartment.I think they made a very sensible decision as it would not be healthy for the parents or the twins if they were to never let them out of their sight again.

totally agree with you on that one lilly! You have to keep a certain amount of normal for the twins sake! I bet it wasn,t an easy decision to make!:confused:

panther 16-05-2007 09:32

is there still no news?