Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 17:36   #211
God Member

Re: A plague of flies

I told you this before - they prefer organic - I've been bitten - two bites turned nasty.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2012, 17:43   #212
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I told you this before - they prefer organic - I've been bitten - two bites turned nasty.
I thought you were organic Margaret, well you are what you eat
Old 02-08-2012, 17:58   #213
God Member

It has featured on Northwest Tonight in the last half of the programme.
It will shortly be viewable on BBC iplayer
BBC iPlayer - North West Tonight: 02/08/2012

Old 02-08-2012, 18:20   #214
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It has featured on Northwest Tonight in the last half of the programme.
It will shortly be viewable on BBC iplayer
BBC iPlayer - North West Tonight: 02/08/2012
Thanks Margaret, I'll look at that when it comes on line
Old 02-08-2012, 18:32   #215
God Member

Despite the denial that surgical waste is in those bales, there were photo close ups(on Facebook) of what looked very much like, blue surgical gloves.

Everybody uses them when peeling spuds don't they

Old 02-08-2012, 18:44   #216
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The investigation may uncover what these materials are, Far as i can see the Fire Brigade has no axe to grind.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:16   #217

there was no a warning sign of any kind, no official of any sort present, no cordon, no notice – health warning – hazard sign – nothing.

Wiggan council gave this rubbish its notice to leave as was being illegally dumped and why did Hyndburn Council give the green light to move it by Blakely’s into Oswaldtwistle?

Eighteen months ago, a member of Oswaldtwistle community complained to the council about large lorries traveling down small lanes at stupid o’clock in the morning. The council explained then that it was merely wind farm equipment being moved for a wind farm that does not presently exist.

Eighteen months later and the Ossy community became infested with flies; the same as Wiggan did oddly enough- what was supposed to be only card and plastic turned out to be household rubbish.

*** but the difference between Wiggan and Hyndburn is the site at Nook Lane is a well known declared chemically contaminated site***

The Cocker chemical plant that had already taken local life from its employee who constantly suffered with chest infections and the community that developed ms and leukemia, was closed in 2006 and declared a contaminated site.

When some of the buildings were demolished, the surrounding concrete was left remaining to act as a safety mechanism and it was agreed the land should not be disturbed for at least twenty years. Hyndburn Council forgot?

Hyndburn council decided to build a nature reserve surrounding an extremely dangerous toxic site. The idiots at Blakely’s decided it was a good idea to dig some very big 40 foot holes to bury the rubbish and have unleashed the smell of TCP back into the community 6 years after the plant has closed – all to save a buck.

After interviewing the Environmental Agency on site, it was explained that the fire service had been in regular attendence to see whats what and has expressly stated their men would not go near that black pit of rubbish which means it must be an extreme hazard to life as nothing stops firemen and women from saving life.

When asked, the EA said they would not be testing the black pit as ‘they’ know whats in it and are taking water samples from the stream only to “appease the public”. The public does not know whats in that pit but the EA and the council does. They knew long before the holes began to be dug on a chemical factories condemned contaminated toxic site where mine shafts also run beneath.

I would say its a bit of an ecological catastrophe and a potential disaster waiting to happen to be perfectly honest.

Last edited by Neil; 04-08-2012 at 10:59. Reason: *'s
charity sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:25   #218
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by charity sweet View Post

I would say its a bit of an ecological catastrophe and a potential disaster waiting to happen to be perfectly honest.
Thank you for your summary, would have been nice to see a few links to back up your statements, however I suppose it will be accurate in places.

Though I disagree with your last sentence, so far as those that have been suffering, it isn't waiting to happen it has happened.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:32   #219

I tell you,it got so bad here with them flies that i actually wished squatters would move into my house
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:54   #220
God Member

Apparently, fly swatting will be an Olympic event in 2016 and Ossy will be entering a team.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:47   #221
God Member

This lot in Ossy are only kicking up a fuss to hide the fact they're eating the flies.

Have a read at this from the Beeb: BBC News - Future foods: What will we be eating in 20 years' time?

Insects

Insects, or mini-livestock as they could become known, will become a staple of our diet, says Gaye.

It's a win-win situation. Insects provide as much nutritional value as ordinary meat and are a great source of protein, according to researchers at Wageningen University in the Netherlands. They also cost less to raise than cattle, consume less water and do not have much of a carbon footprint. Plus, there are an estimated 1,400 species that are edible to man.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53   #222
God Member

There is real meat in Soylent Green.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:18   #223
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
There is real meat in Soylent Green.
It'd also come in Kosher & Halal
Old 08-08-2012, 00:55   #224
Junior Member+

Just incase any of you feel impelled to write to the person who could have done something to prevent this waste been illegally dumped in your naibourhood, the details are:-

Judge Brain, Manchester Employment Tribunal Alexandra House 14 - 22 Parsonage, Manchester, M3 2JA

12th January 2011, Judge Brain, heard the case of a driver who refused to collect hazardous waste without a licence and without permits and in return blakeleys waste management increased her workload, when she complaind about that they made unlawful deductions of wages and refused her holidays entitlement.

Judge Brain ruled that it was entirly proper conduct for Blakeleys waste management to instruct the driver to collect the waste and despose of it at the recycling plant without a licence and without permits, but they should have provided her with protective clothing. The judge ruled the workload hadn't been increased, becasue the driving undertaken by a truck driver isn't part of the workload, because blakeleys says it's not. The judge did agree that it was unlawful deduction of wages and they should have provided statutory holidays. But because the driver couldn't agree to carry on collecting and disposing waste illegally and drive illegally by discarding driving as part of the workload, then she could be dismissed.

The judge was warned that Blakley's have no respect for the law and his judgment would only make a bad situation worse, as no driver can refuse to collect and dispose of waste illegally and given that disposeing of waste illegally has serious health implications for the general public, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Baring in mind the waste in question was collected from a chemical plant, but other clients of Blakeley's waste management includes hospitals, carbody shops etc, all the waste is dropped off in a big warehouse and mixed together before seperated into recycling and none recyclable. So any contaminates that are dropped of have plenty of opportunity to cross contaminate all waste, be it for recycling or not.

But because I have CFS/ME and taking court action only made my symptoms worse, the judge ruled the conduct of Blakeleys waste management is irrelivant, as i could be dismissed for been ill. So Judge Brain refused to reveiw his decission. So I think you writting to Judge Brain and letting him know that he could have prevented this from happening, might help him to understand the importance of his job and how if he doesn't do his job properly it does have serious consiquences on other people.

I took court action to blow the whistle on Blakeleys waste management, to prevent them from causing serious harm to the general public, in doing so I put myself in a wheelchair because I used for more energy that what my body produced. In return Judge Brain found it to be entirly proper conduct for Blakeleys to instruct drivers to collect and dispose of waste without a licence and without permits. So maybe it would be a good idea for people in Oswaldtwistle to let Judge Brain know the consiqunences his judgment.

Sadley a lot of people only learn from mistakes made if they realise they have made a mistake. Unfortunatly it takes people who have suffered the consiquences to point out the mistakes made, before any lessons are learned and history is not repeated.

ex employee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11   #225
God Member

I have just added up my ebay purchases relating to the fly plague - £18.98

This comprised - UV light, battery operated swatter, fly papers, baited fly trap, window fly screen.

I couldn't use fly spray aerosols, but can envisage that the people who did would need several.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..