Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2012, 21:28   #16
Junior Member+

Re: A plague of flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
PLEASE forgive me, why shouldn't I believe you, but as you had copied some lines from what looked a news article I though you might have posted a link...

FYI I no longer live in Accrington, look at my location, I find Accyweb a good source of info about what's going on in my home town but I don't know what's going on from week to week with Britcliffe or anyone else.
How about whats your source PLEASE
jepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2012, 21:28   #17
God Member

I have looked on a map and judge that I am between 400 and 500 metres away as the fly flies.
The next question was - how far can they fly?
How Far Can House Flies Fly? | University of Kentucky Entomology

“How far can house flies fly?” becomes an important question. There is no absolute answer but house flies can easily move one to two miles

If large numbers of flies develop at a site, competition among them for larval breeding sites will force a portion of them to move. The need for effective fly management at major or potential breeding sites is obvious. This can be accomplished in large part by sanitation and water management to keep breeding sites dry. The more flies produced in an area, the more likely they are to move.

and it seems to be the answer.

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-07-2012 at 21:35.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 21:34   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepster View Post
How about whats your source Please
Make sure you put one on in future and everyone will be happy, by the way it's rude to shout on a web site.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 21:40   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Be childish, I don't care, I have apologised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Make sure you put one on in future and everyone will be happy, by the way it's rude to shout on a web site.
Take note of Less, he is a fount of Accyweb wisdom (among other things ).
Old 19-07-2012, 21:51   #20
God Member

This infestation can easily spread to Church and Accrington.
As they pass through Church they will mutate due to the interbreeding commonplace there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (11.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-07-2012 at 21:54.
Old 19-07-2012, 21:59   #21
Senior Member+

the results that google comes up with if you search 'flies' and 'telegraph'

"Car flies off motorway and crashes into house in US"

" 'Holiday paradox' explains why time flies"

"Nick Clegg flies gay pride flag in Whitehall for first time "
Old 19-07-2012, 22:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This infestation can easily spread to Church and Accrington.
As they pass through Church they will mutate due to the interbreeding commonplace there
Blimey, Margaret, I won't sleep tonight.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 22:09   #23
God Member

They are smallish flies(not bluebottle size) but quickwitted, and are difficult to swat.
On the LET website one person reported that they are avoiding his electronic UV zapper.

Old 19-07-2012, 22:14   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
How about, heres another un.
Old 20-07-2012, 00:31   #25
God Member

Quote:
These flies wont be killed with fly sprays, there coming from cockers, Council are onto it, this is a little about it it will soon be big news
An investigation has now been launched after residents claimed queues of lorries and diggers have begun burying waste at the former NIPA Laboratories site at Nook Lane in Oswaldtwistle. Lancashire County Council said there was no planning permission ..

i heard someone had dumped a load of rotten fish up by cockers.I dont facey going down there to see for myself but yeah ossy seems to be full of flies.Im a fair distance from cockers and its pretty bad

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 06:23   #26
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i heard someone had dumped a load of rotten fish up by cockers.I dont facey going down there to see for myself but yeah ossy seems to be full of flies.Im a fair distance from cockers and its pretty bad
Thank you, ive been reading this forum for weeks now, with no intention of joining, until i saw Margarets problem with flies, the only way i could give her an explanation was to join, susie123 hadnt even answered Margaret, but hey a new member gives an explanation and she sees a opertunity to be controversial, now you all know the source of the flies, ill go back to just reading theres too many people like susie123, who just wont be happy if they arent doubting a newcomer goodbye folks see yah, and keep watching the press for the full story,
jepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:49   #27
Beacon of light

Jepster, I'm sorry you feel like that about accyweb.

If you had been reading Accyweb for some time, then you will know that these things happen...it is the nature of the internet...not like a personal face to face dialogue....and if you had been mature enough you would have shrugged and gone about your business...not spit the dummy. And if this hurts your tender ego still further, I am only telling you what you need to know.

But if your ego is that sensitive, to take offence at something that is not 'real life', then maybe you won't find a forum which suits you.

Susie123 did apologise(and offered some justification for her question) and you treated that apology with contempt by a bold coloured print 'please'...which equates to shouting...not good netiquette, in fact, rank bad manners.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-07-2012 at 07:54.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:50   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
How about, heres another un.
Quote:
Thank you, ive been reading this forum for weeks now, with no intention of joining, until i saw Margarets problem with flies, the only way i could give her an explanation was to join, susie123 hadnt even answered Margaret, but hey a new member gives an explanation and she sees a opertunity to be controversial, now you all know the source of the flies, ill go back to just reading theres too many people like susie123, who just wont be happy if they arent doubting a newcomer goodbye folks see yah, and keep watching the press for the full story,
Seems i was right, If yeh reckon a straight question was controversial, put yeh dummy back in n read away.
Old 20-07-2012, 08:16   #29
God Member

I am grateful that jepster took the time and trouble to join up, to provide me with an explanation of the cause.

Old 20-07-2012, 08:24   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can't say you'll be missed

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..