Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2007, 11:54   #76
Resident Waffler

Re: ACCYWEB Meeting Venue?

Yep - I mean even us AccyWebbers were welcome there!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2007, 14:17   #77
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
According to rumours about the leadership of the BNP, their meeting places are probably covered in rainbow flags, and posters of Judy Garland and Shirley Bassey.
There you are Mr Harris, Garinda has answered your question although I have no idea what he is getting at, is this the level the anti-nazi league have stooped to now.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 14:36   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
There you are Mr Harris, Garinda has answered your question although I have no idea what he is getting at, is this the level the anti-nazi league have stooped to now.
I'm not a member of any political organisation, mainly so I can rip them all to bits if I happen to disagree with them.

I'm a democrat, and as such believe that in a democracy no political organisation should be banned, even if I abhor what they stand for.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 15:12   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm not a member of any political organisation, mainly so I can rip them all to bits if I happen to disagree with them.

I'm a democrat, and as such believe that in a democracy no political organisation should be banned, even if I abhor what they stand for.

I agree Garinda, to paraphrase Voltaire "I deplore what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 16:05   #80
God Member

I wish it were simply a matter of national pride but I agree with Rosebud it's been hijacked by people with a more political agenda.

The only time you can get away with flying the flag these days is during the world cup or if Henman were to have won more than one match. Shame!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 16:07   #81
Senior Member+

I flew the St George flag throughout our winning the Ashes ; no complaints from anyone !
Old 30-06-2007, 16:10   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I wish it were simply a matter of national pride but I agree with Rosebud it's been hijacked by people with a more political agenda.

The only time you can get away with flying the flag these days is during the world cup or if Henman were to have won more than one match. Shame!

So what do you suggest, give into them?

No more Union Jacks flying from flagpoles across the land?

The far-right also don't have a monoploy on shaved heads. It seems to be fashionable for balding blokes across the country to have a number one crop, and who seem to get on quite well, without people thinking they're all fascists.

Old 30-06-2007, 16:17   #83
God Member

I don't know Garinda and I wish I did.

When I was campaigning the other year I just knew to stay away from houses with the union jack flag flying outside - and yes there are a few in Ossy.

Old 30-06-2007, 16:24   #84
Resident Waffler

Did you know for sure they were BNP supporters Gayle or was that just a feeling based on the flags flying?

It's a sad state of affairs when we can't fly our own national flag(s) now for fear of being thought of as BNP supporters. I guess that's why the Asian taxi drivers can get away with the car flags and white guys can't. It really is such a shame.

Old 30-06-2007, 16:26   #85
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I don't know Garinda and I wish I did.

When I was campaigning the other year I just knew to stay away from houses with the union jack flag flying outside - and yes there are a few in Ossy.

If I had been your campaign manager I'd have made you go to every door in the ward, regardless if they had a Union flag outside or not.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

Those few houses may have cost you the election, especially since the election you stood in was only a month before the last World Cup.

Old 30-06-2007, 16:27   #86
Senior Member+

I am most certainly not a BNP supporter, and if I thought we had something worth celebrating the flag would be out again !
Old 30-06-2007, 16:27   #87
Give, give, give member

That's as daft and as narrow minded as thinking eveyone who lives in a big house votes Tory.

Old 30-06-2007, 16:30   #88
Give, give, give member

It's nearly thirty years ago that I received death threats because I publicly humiliated the then National Front in the local press.

No one's taking any flag off me. I'm proud to be English first, and British second.

Old 30-06-2007, 16:34   #89
Resident Waffler

I've just remembered that Mimi had an England flag flying from her bedroom window during the World Cup so I guess if we'd been in your constituency Gayle you'd have missed us out too.

Old 30-06-2007, 17:49   #90
God Member

No, Willow I wouldn't. As I said earlier it is a different situation during sporting events. I flew the flag of St George during the World Cup and I think I've even flown it for Henman before now. Are you still flying it?

The sad fact is that the BNP have hijacked the flag and if a house has one flying (apart from during sporting tournaments) then the perception is that it is a BNP or equivalent house.

During the elections I did call on those houses and yes, they were BNP or equivalent living there.

I don't like the fact that the flag has been hijacked, I think it's very sad, and I would love for things to change.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..