Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2007, 18:43   #106
Super Moderator

Re: ACCYWEB Meeting Venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
When I was campaigning the other year I just knew to stay away from houses with the union jack flag flying outside - and yes there are a few in Ossy.
Must admit, Gayle, I'm quite gobsmacked by that remark, as I thought you were far more open-minded. So, everyone who displays a Union Flag outside of football occasions is a right-wing racist? That's the sort of blanket categorisation I'd expect from a Daily Mail reader!
Old 30-06-2007, 18:46   #107
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Which precisely illustrates what I mean. During a sporting 'moment' the flag comes out but immediately after we lose, which we invariably do, the flags come down.

Most people would not fly them out of sheer nationalism.
Sorry Gayle, it isn't 'their' flag anymore than it's 'our' flag, If I need to be a patriot whether it be for England or the U.K. I will allow the Welsh, Scots or Irish, (in no specific order), to be proud of their flag, I am proud of the George Cross because it represents England, I am proud of the Union Flag because it represents the U.K. (That is a joining of people no matter which corner of the land they come from), you may have been lazy enough, (as have the rest of us), to allow any of those flags to represent something else, but I recognise them as the difference and also the similarities between our main cultures. I know they are only a pieces of cloth, but they mean so much more to those of us that respect others. If someone I know displays the Irish flag on St Paddies day, I recognise that as celebration, if someone of Asian background displays the flag that they recognise as something to be proud of again I see no problem.

As with the Poppy, wear it with pride, it is there to bring people together in rememberance of past History, not to push us apart.

Can we all get our flags back from the fools that would split us apart?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 18:58   #108
God Member

That's a poor example Less. Would you like to borrow mine?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:02   #109
Super Moderator

That's a great post, Less, and if I could give you karma for it, I would. However, I'm curious as to why you're flying the original 1606 version of the Union Flag, rather than the 1801 version that Yerself has hoisted. Is there a reason for this?
Old 30-06-2007, 19:06   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Must admit, Gayle, I'm quite gobsmacked by that remark, as I thought you were far more open-minded. So, everyone who displays a Union Flag outside of football occasions is a right-wing racist? That's the sort of blanket categorisation I'd expect from a Daily Mail reader!

I have experience of this - awful though it may be.

There was one house that has a flag flying all the time, I was heading towards the door and was told by someone that I was with that I wouldn't get a very good response. I naively knocked anyway, I got told to p*ss off and that they wouldn't be voting because there weren't any BNP candidates standing.

I went a few houses down the road where a flag was also flying to be greeted by BNP signs in the window.

I did not say that anyone who flew a flag was a right wing facist. I said that the general perception in the country at the moment is that the flag has been hijacked by the BNP. It is wrong, it should not be allowed I don't like it but just because I don't approve of something doesn't make it any less true.

I love this country as much as the next person and I would love to see the flag flying more often for the right reasons. If you see a flag flying outside someones house tonight, why don't you knock on their door and do a straw poll - find out for yourself.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:06   #111
Give, give, give member

I can't get HBC site up, so can't be 100% certain, but as far as I recall there wasn't a BNP candidate standing in St. Andrew's ward in the 2006 election.

So all those discounted voters may have been open to discussion, and persuassion, as to where they were going to put their little cross.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:07   #112
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
That's a poor example Less. Would you like to borrow mine?

Well said, I was looking at it myself and thinking something was wrong, but unfortunately I was being distracted by that darned cat, while I was going for an example! (A poor excuse but the only one I've got since I am suffering from lack of blood because of it's sharp claws)!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:13   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I can't get HBC site up, so can't be 100% certain, but as far as I recall there wasn't a BNP candidate standing in St. Andrew's ward in the 2006 election.

So all those discounted voters may have been open to discussion, and persuassion, as to where they were going to put their little cross.
I'm afraid that's a very naive view. If someone has a BNP sign in their window then it's like telling the Labour (and Liberal candidate for that matter) to F off.

Old 30-06-2007, 19:14   #114
Give, give, give member

I feel as if I'm disagreeing with everything you say at the moment Gayle, except for town centre apartments (). It's nothing personal, and I'm sure we'll soon be batting on the same side again soon, at least until the next difference of opinion.

I know you worked extremely hard in the elections last year. End of.

Old 30-06-2007, 19:17   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm afraid that's a very naive view. If someone has a BNP sign in their window then it's like telling the Labour (and Liberal candidate for that matter) to F off.
You didn't say you didn't bother if they had a BNP poster displayed, you said if they a Union Jack flying, regardless of who else might be eligible to vote at that particular house, and their political persuasions.

Old 30-06-2007, 19:19   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
If someone has a BNP sign in their window then it's like telling the Labour (and Liberal candidate for that matter) to F off.
I notice you have omitted the Conservatives. Are you trying to suggest something sinister is afoot i.e. a Tory/BNP coalition?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:21   #117
Super Moderator

Quote:
I did not say that anyone who flew a flag was a right wing facist. I said that the general perception in the country at the moment is that the flag has been hijacked by the BNP. It is wrong, it should not be allowed I don't like it but just because I don't approve of something doesn't make it any less true.
I would disagree with you there. That WAS the perception around 30 years ago when the NF were marching along Blackburn Road in support of their parliamentary candidate for Hyndburn. However, since then, in my view, the country has claimed the flag back and it does not have the same unfortunate connotations that it had then. I haven't seen any houses flying Union Flags in the area where I live, however, I have seen Asian kids round here wearing sweatshirts bearing both the Cross of St George and the Union Flag.

The fact that you came across two houses flying the Union Flag which were inhabited by BNP supporters doesn't mean that every house which flies the flag displays similar sympathies!
Old 30-06-2007, 19:24   #118
God Member

Take a look at the BNP logo - I've just had a look on their website - and you can see how they're trying to claim the Union Jack as their own.

There were a few houses that had the Union Jack flying, I knocked at a few initially (and naively) and avoided others because I was advised to. Also, bear in mind that I also had polling lists and pretty good background information to start from so I was aware of who to avoid and who was worth knocking on.

I'm sorry but I can't help being a bit prejudiced against the BNP - I dislike almost everything they stand for. I hate the fact that they use the flag in the way they do.

I do agree that everyone has the right to freedom of speech but I have experience of the extremity of the BNP party and I would be wary to say the least of anyone who was a member of that party.

Old 30-06-2007, 19:28   #119
Resident Waffler

I quite understand you not wanting to confront someone who very definitely has BNP loyalties and declares that fact by having a poster in the window. It's like a double glazing salesman knocking on a door where they have a sign saying 'No cold calling'. But I'd have given the other flag flyers the benefit of the doubt.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:37   #120
Super Moderator

Gayle, considering my personal circumstances (which I've mentioned on this thread already), I'm somewhat prejudiced against them too!

However, the person who started this thread was trying to make out that because a pub had the Union Flag on show outside of major footballing occasions it was a "BNP pub". Are you saying that you wouldn't go to a pub for an Accyweb meet because the Union Flag was on display?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..