Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2007, 19:38   #121
God Member

Re: ACCYWEB Meeting Venue?

I would love to be proven wrong on this one so really don't object to the argument.

Like I said, feel free to knock on any doors where there are flags flying to find out their political persuasion and I'll happily concede.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2007, 19:41   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Gayle, considering my personal circumstances (which I've mentioned on this thread already), I'm somewhat prejudiced against them too!

However, the person who started this thread was trying to make out that because a pub had the Union Flag on show outside of major footballing occasions it was a "BNP pub". Are you saying that you wouldn't go to a pub for an Accyweb meet because the Union Flag was on display?
No, if it was an Accyweb meet then I wouldn't stay away because of a flag!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:46   #123
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No, if it was an Accyweb meet then I wouldn't stay away because of a flag!
Glad to hear it. Right, I'm going back to the pub now, and if I see any Union Flags hanging in any windows, believe me, I'll be knocking on their door!
Old 30-06-2007, 20:36   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm afraid that's a very naive view. If someone has a BNP sign in their window then it's like telling the Labour (and Liberal candidate for that matter) to F off.
They'd be telling that to all other parties wouldn't they,not just Labour and Liberals?What about Independant candidates and Conservative candidates
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 22:35   #125
God Member

I took this pic today at Rugby.. Saw the gum shield and thought of you lot

Old 30-06-2007, 22:42   #126
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I notice you have omitted the Conservatives. Are you trying to suggest something sinister is afoot i.e. a Tory/BNP coalition?
well going back in time, i once read that they were seceretly funding Oswald Mosely.
Old 30-06-2007, 22:43   #127
Give, give, give member

That's cool Kipax, how the blood has made a perfect cross.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 22:46   #128
Passed away 25-11-09

Has that man got a 3rd hand or is the bloke behind him about to give him a cuddle?
Old 30-06-2007, 23:03   #129
Resident Waffler

I'm so observant I probably wouldn't have even spotted the gum shield.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:19   #130
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Glad to hear it. Right, I'm going back to the pub now, and if I see any Union Flags hanging in any windows, believe me, I'll be knocking on their door!
You can knock on my door, I've no Union Flag hanging but I'd still tell you to PO.

Love this thread.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29   #131
I am Banned

hello every one its ages since i have been on accy web im using peters computer im a bit rusty its all new again to me it was great to see you all again at the queens I do miss you all we had some great laughs in the stag thankyou all for the support you gave over the years I hope you`re all feeling well. The stag will be re opening in about 2 or 3 months my friends dave and bev have got it, the vandals made a right mess of it anyway see ya later xxx
MANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:31   #132
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDS View Post
hello every one its ages since i have been on accy web im using peters computer im a bit rusty its all new again to me it was great to see you all again at the queens I do miss you all we had some great laughs in the stag thankyou all for the support you gave over the years I hope you`re all feeling well. The stag will be re opening in about 2 or 3 months my friends dave and bev have got it, the vandals made a right mess of it anyway see ya later xxx
Great to hear from you Mands.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:09   #133
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
You can knock on my door, I've no Union Flag hanging but I'd still tell you to PO.

Love this thread.
Now, that's not very sociable, old bean. I was thinking of dropping round to tell you about the new Polish centre-half we're giving trials to at the moment...but, then again, maybe not, after all, you don't like Poles coming over here, looking for work, do you?

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 01-07-2007 at 11:11.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 14:17   #134
Resident Waffler

Hello Mands, Nice to see you. Good luck to your friends with the re-opening of the Stag.

I've just realised I don't think the stags head came to the meet last night.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 19:28   #135
I am Band

To answer the original question, regarding the Union Jack strategically placed in The Stag public house, and to put an end to the thread wander and waffle.
This comes directly from the horses mouth, so to speak; Staggeringman, the ex-landlord of The Stag, with whom I shared a pint, last night. The clue is in the first sentence: "strategically".

The pub dates back to the early 15th century, as mentioned elsewhere on Accyweb. Old buildings leak and the flag was put up to hide a damp patch from view, on an outside wall of the pub.

So perhaps prejudices regarding the Union Jack can be put to bed.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..