Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 21:06   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: An article that I couldn't help smiling at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would have liked to go to Uni, but alas I failed my 11 plus, was consigned to a secondary education that turned out factory fodder.
I did avail myself of further education...which was at that time not beyond my means.
I did have a successful professional career, and had I been a bit younger would have been seconded to do a degree...but alas too old for that.
I could do a degree now.....if I could afford to pay for it.
I was thinking about this just before.

The main difference now at universities today, is the accessiblity.

In 1955, less than 10% of undergraduates came from state schools, and that includes the Grammar schools!

Happily that has changed, though not so much at the Oxbridge colleges.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2007, 21:08   #32
God Member

[quote=Less;492306]

What you made was not a spelling error, Friday was spelt correctly, just not presented correctly, which for someone that only want's the opinions of graduates to me is a shocking mistake!/quote]

I've said before that bad spelling and grammar are things that annoy me so I do know where you're coming from but I don't think we should be picking people up about these things on Accyweb. If we keep doing that then threads would be full of people correcting other people and it would spoil the continuity of the topics.

You are not infallible yourself. Who is? There's no apostrophe in 'wants'.
Old 11-11-2007, 21:08   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
But then perhaps looking back at the original question, you can answer that perhaps attitudes to education at university has changed now because students are paying £3000 a year to be there, so they dont want to throw their money away, whereas when you were a student there was no such thing as £3000 a year fee's to be paid?

The article isnt on about political activity, its on about the attitudes of students towards their actual degree, not the other activities you can participate in. So has the attitude towards the actual studying changed or not?
I hinted earlier in the thread, that one of the reasons students are less concerned with the greater world, and more with their own future, is down to finance.

Old 11-11-2007, 21:12   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As for gay rights.

Been there, done that, designed the t-shirt.
Ahhhh so Wynonie was right, it is all about what was fashionable at the time. If you were truly ever committed to any kind of protest, like gay rights as you've just said, then you would still be campaigning about it if it meant that much to you, as the problem is still there to be dealt with.

If campaigning is so important, why dont you rally your troops and do it, then you can fill the gap
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:18   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

[quote=Lilly;492320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Quite correct I am not infallible but I'm also not a graduate wanna be, if I was going to come on here asking only for the opinions of one part of the community I would try to live up to that communities standards, as it is that young lady fails miserably to get Secondary Modern standards of anything, never mind English!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:27   #36
God Member

[quote=Lilly;492320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

What you made was not a spelling error, Friday was spelt correctly, just not presented correctly, which for someone that only want's the opinions of graduates to me is a shocking mistake!/quote]

I've said before that bad spelling and grammar are things that annoy me so I do know where you're coming from but I don't think we should be picking people up about these things on Accyweb. If we keep doing that then threads would be full of people correcting other people and it would spoil the continuity of the topics.

Sorry Lilly got to disagree when it is constant or does spelling and grammar not matter any more? Once we get into the habit of not caring standards slip so the more thought that goes into our posts the higher the standards IMO. It is not hard to check through and correct any errors. we all make mistakes but do our best to keep them to a minimum.
Old 11-11-2007, 21:28   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Maybe a few were along for the ride, but student protests and actions did help change lots of things. The public perception about the war in Vietnam for one.

And let's not forget, without the added weight of student support on the campuses in the States, the struggle for civil liberties would probably still be going on, and those uppity niggers would still not be able to sit where they wanted on the bus.
You're talking about the USA, I'm talking about over here. Going down to Alabama with the freedom riders or getting shot at by the National Guard at Kent State University demands a lot more commitment than wandering through Trafalgar Square chanting slogans. Student protests in the UK were regarded as no more than an irritant by ordinary citizens and affected their attitudes not one jot. And with very good reason as most of the participants were there because it was the trendy thing for students to do.

And, Blazey, I'm not a "her"!
Old 11-11-2007, 21:30   #38
Resting in peace

Quote:
Blazey,If you were truly ever committed to any kind of protest, like gay rights as you've just said, then you would still be campaigning about it if it meant that much to you, as the problem is still there to be dealt with.
What about the rights of grumpy old women and men, anyhow 'Gay' meant happy and dashing as in the 'Gay Cavalier', why not call a spade a spade, Homosexual rights, sounds better, why adulterate the word gay?. Life is about choices Blazey if you set your self up on a pedistal, be prepared to become an 'Aunt Sally'.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:31   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ahhhh so Wynonie was right, it is all about what was fashionable at the time. If you were truly ever committed to any kind of protest, like gay rights as you've just said, then you would still be campaigning about it if it meant that much to you, as the problem is still there to be dealt with.

If campaigning is so important, why dont you rally your troops and do it, then you can fill the gap
I've said in other threads that I think gay equality has been achieved in the UK thanks to this government, and see no need for target groups to protest now, especially over such trivial matters. The main reason blood from high risk groups isn't accepted, even though it could be screened, comes down to money. Money which could be spent on much more worthwhile things in the health service. Most gay men have no problem with this issue. If you were a bit more worldly, you'd know that.

There was a need, when I was involved politically, when people, including friends of mine were dieing of AIDS, and couldn't get a dentist, or when nurses refused to treat patients, and orderlies left food outside of wards and cleaners refused to enter bedrooms of patients with HIV. A time when Plus-2 hairdressers in Accrington, made the national press because they wouldn't cut the hair of gay men for fear of catching AIDS. A time when the promotion of homosexuality in schools, which could be as innocent as saying that Leonard da Vinci was gay, was a sackable offence for teachers. A time when twenty one year old men were sent to prison for having a consensual relationship with a nineteen year old men. A time when a partner could be denied access to the death bed of his or her life partner, because the family had more rights than their other half.

Come back and try and debate, when you know what the hell you are talking about.

Old 11-11-2007, 21:34   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You're talking about the USA, I'm talking about over here. Going down to Alabama with the freedom riders or getting shot at by the National Guard at Kent State University demands a lot more commitment than wandering through Trafalgar Square chanting slogans. Student protests in the UK were regarded as no more than an irritant by ordinary citizens and affected their attitudes not one jot. And with very good reason as most of the participants were there because it was the trendy thing for students to do.

I forget you're so parochial.

I'm Garinda International.

Old 11-11-2007, 21:36   #41

Quote:
The article is about University attitudes, and therefore I asked about those who had experienced uni in the past and the present to see if it was the way this man is presenting it.

Also Garinda, your wrong about the lack of protests and I attended a talk on terrorists on friday that was about how some 'terrorists' should be freed. Back to the protests, I joined a group for gay rights which challenges the laws on gay adoption, marriage and blood donation and all sorts of other issues. Not all student 'just accept it'.

The BBC did a series about protesting and the law not so long back as well, and if you had watched it you would have seen that the terrorist laws have cut down the number of protesters as the law is quite ambiguous in some areas and you may end up being imprisoned as a terrorist.
Here is the rest of that post that I commented on the F'in'Friday, the only reason I picked her up on this was because her English was the minor mistake of all of this post and I didn't want to do a page worth!
Old 11-11-2007, 21:36   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

The women's, as well as the gay liberation movements, both started in the UK on college campuses.

Old 11-11-2007, 21:39   #43
Resident Waffler

Quote:
I joined a group for gay rights which challenges the laws on gay adoption, marriage and blood donation and all sorts of other issues. Not all student 'just accept it'.

Have I missed something somewhere? What's all this about gay rights? Don;t gay people have the same rights as everyone else nowadays? What is there to campaign about?

Gay adoption? Wasn't that what the RC church kicked up all the hoohah about because they were being asked to place children with gay couples and felt that it was against their religious convictions?

Marriage? Well it's not called marriage it's called a civil ceremony but it is as valid for a gay couple as a marriage is for a heterosexual couple.

Blood donation? Are gay people turned away from blood donation centres? Why would that be? Surely 'gay blood' is identical to 'straight blood'.

I really would appreciate some clarification on those points.

Unless of course your group is protesting against gay adoption and against civil ceremonies between gay couples and have some idea that the blood that courses through the veins of a homosexual is probably riddled with STDs and AIDs

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:42   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Have I missed something somewhere? What's all this about gay rights? Don;t gay people have the same rights as everyone else nowadays? What is there to campaign about?

Gay adoption? Wasn't that what the RC church kicked up all the hoohah about because they were being asked to place children with gay couples and felt that it was against their religious convictions?

Marriage? Well it's not called marriage it's called a civil ceremony but it is as valid for a gay couple as a marriage is for a heterosexual couple.

Blood donation? Are gay people turned away from blood donation centres? Why would that be? Surely 'gay blood' is identical to 'straight blood'.

I really would appreciate some clarification on those points.

Unless of course your group is protesting against gay adoption and against civil ceremonies between gay couples and have some idea that the blood that courses through the veins of a homosexual is probably riddled with STDs and AIDs
Sorry Willow, I'd answer all of your questions but by the time I have answered the first one you will have done another twelve posts and have forgotten your original question!
Old 11-11-2007, 21:44   #45
Resident Waffler

You're alright. I'm on a go slow tonight because I have to be up early tomorrow.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..