Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 23:44   #76
Resting in peace

Re: An article that I couldn't help smiling at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Is beind dyslexic something to be mocked about? You can still be brilliant and dyslexic
Blazey I have been dyslectic all my life, even before someone found a 'fancy name' for it, so preach not to me, it can be overcome like all other 'trials and tribulations in life, I was also partialy deaf and short sighted, because I was a 'slow' learner, the teachers in their infinite wisdom put all us duffers to the rear of the class. Before the age of 45 I had made and spent more than a million pounds, so education is not the universal panacea to success you seem to think it is.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2007, 23:44   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Areas of the country that still have direct grant Grammar schools, do have an examination, but the standard no way equates to the old 11-Plus, which was abolished in 1974.

Just as GCSEs are much easier than their supposed predecessor, the O-level.

Fact.

As is also fact that spelling and grammar used to be a prerequisite for university entrance.
The 11 plus was proven to be discriminatory against the working class, hence why it was changed.

I doubt I would fail a spelling and grammar test either, I just dont see the need to be tight arsed about it when people use slang and abbreviations like IMO instead of typing out the full phrases and dont get mocked.

Also Shakermaker, you shouldn't let the idea of people getting drunk and eating crap put you off uni, as it isn't at all true of a lot of people.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 23:46   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The 11 plus was proven to be discriminatory against the working class, hence why it was changed.
Wrong.

Care to produce any documented evidence to back up that claim?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 23:47   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Blazey I have been dyslectic all my life, even before someone found a 'fancy name' for it, so preach not to me, it can be overcome like all other 'trials and tribulations in life, I was also partialy deaf and short sighted, because I was a 'slow' learner, the teachers in their infinite wisdom put all us duffers to the rear of the class. Before the age of 45 I had made and spent more than a million pounds, so education is not the universal panacea to success you seem to think it is.
I think its better than working in McDonalds though?

You forget that most jobs these days require qualifications, so I would rather do that and earn a decent pension than work in dead end jobs. There is much less chance of getting a decent job without qualifications, and there is much more competition than ever before.

You also must acknowledge that students have to gain work experience as well as study, so theres more to being a student than just reading books.
Old 11-11-2007, 23:51   #80
God Member

Quote:
Wrong.

Care to produce any documented evidence to back up that claim?
Not the most ideal source but I have no scanner, so it will have to do.

Eleven plus exam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to controversy.

We studied the system of 11 plus in sociology A level, so although I dont know much on it personally, I know the reasons why very little educational institutions use it anymore, and that is because of how biased it is.
Old 11-11-2007, 23:55   #81
Give, give, give member

Another difference between students of today compared with yesterday, is they at least had the strength of their convictions, and would not be ashamed to sign their name to something they believed in.

Something you didn't feel brave enough to do in your karma deduction...but your atrocious spelling so easily gave away.

Old 11-11-2007, 23:56   #82
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
You forget that most jobs these days require qualifications, so I would rather do that and earn a decent pension than work in dead end jobs. There is much less chance of getting a decent job without qualifications, and there is much more competition than ever before.

You also must acknowledge that students have to gain work experience as well as study, so theres more to being a student than just reading books.
You are absolutely right a student needs to gain work experience.

A Part time student doing an apprenticeship after gaining qualifications says, "What would you like me to make for you?"

A full-time college Student that goes into Engineering says, "I've designed this I want you to build It."

A University student that comes out with some obscure and useless degree turns to the other two and says, "Do you want fries with that order!".
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 23:58   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not the most ideal source but I have no scanner, so it will have to do.

Eleven plus exam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to controversy.

We studied the system of 11 plus in sociology A level, so although I dont know much on it personally, I know the reasons why very little educational institutions use it anymore, and that is because of how biased it is.
Mention of gender and location there, but not of class, and that's taking into consideration that most of Wikipedia is flawed because it can be freely edited by any nutter.

Anymore more reliable evidence?

Old 11-11-2007, 23:59   #84
Resting in peace

Quote:
I think its better than working in McDonalds though?

Blazey, thereis no such thing as a good job, they are all bad jobs, unless you work for yourself, instead of a parasitic employer.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 00:01   #85
God Member

Quote:
Mention of gender and location there, but not of class, and that's taking into consideration that most of Wikipedia is flawed because it can be freely edited by any nutter.

Anymore more reliable evidence?
It's 1am and I am in bed, and no scanner even if I did have a book to show you. I don't need to prove myself to you anyway, your just a red faced alcoholic with no life.

And I cant give you more reputation, ive given u enough already tonight, so it wasnt me.
Old 12-11-2007, 00:19   #86

Quote:
It's 1am and I am in bed, and no scanner even if I did have a book to show you. I don't need to prove myself to you anyway, your just a red faced alcoholic with no life.

And I cant give you more reputation, ive given u enough already tonight, so it wasnt me.
You're pretty obsessed with the 'red-faced' thing, Lol.

I don't see how anyone could find it offensive either..
Old 12-11-2007, 00:22   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I don't drink because I have Parkinson's.

Blimey, you're wrong so many times, about so many things, it's quite charming.

Old 12-11-2007, 00:24   #88
God Member

Quote:
I don't drink because I have Parkinson's.

Blimey, you're wrong so many times, about so many things, it's quite charming.
Well I could recognise you from quite a distance, and seen i've stood behind you in the queue I'm pretty sure it was you

Obviously you just look very drunk in all of your pictures and the red wine wasn't for you
Old 12-11-2007, 00:25   #89

Where do I find all these pictures? LOL, is there a place where pics of accyweb members are posted or what?
Old 12-11-2007, 00:26   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well I could recognise you from quite a distance, and seen i've stood behind you in the queue I'm pretty sure it was you

Obviously you just look very drunk in all of your pictures and the red wine wasn't for you
Err... I don't drink red wine, and don't go in off-licences, and if I did I'd send the maid.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..