Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 00:27   #91
God Member

Re: An article that I couldn't help smiling at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Swift View Post
Where do I find all these pictures? LOL, is there a place where pics of accyweb members are posted or what?
Jae the pictures are in the gallery. Just click on the link but don't be to shocked when you see women dancing in their bras
Old 12-11-2007, 00:36   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Jae the pictures are in the gallery. Just click on the link but don't be to shocked when you see women dancing in their bras
It's nothing I haven't seen before, believe me.
Old 12-11-2007, 00:38   #93
God Member

Quote:
It's nothing I haven't seen before, believe me.
And you won't see it there just that Blazey says thats what the women do at Accyweb meets
Old 12-11-2007, 00:39   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
And you won't see it there just that Blazey says thats what the women do at Accyweb meets
Haha. I still have to get myself to one of the meets!
Old 12-11-2007, 00:43   #95
God Member

Quote:
Haha. I still have to get myself to one of the meets!
They are good, it is nice to meet the people you are talking to
Old 12-11-2007, 01:10   #96
Resting in peace

Quote:
Blazey,The 11 plus was proven to be discriminatory against the working class, hence why it was changed.
Codswallop, it was done to sort the wheat from the chaffe, he people that implemented the change still sent their offsprings to private grammar schools. It was to gain votes and was the worst thing to happen to the education system, it has gone downhill since. I did not go to one, but I employed plenty that did. The system still exists in the guise of streaming.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38   #97
Resident Waffler

I'm from a working class background and I passed my 11+ - so was everyone else in my class and they all passed too so how the heck was it discriminatory against us?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:40   #98
Resident Waffler

Oh, thanks Garinda for the explanation of why gay people are not accepted as blood donors. It's a shame that it's too expensive to screen the blood though, especially as heterosexuals can also have AIDS from sources other than sexually connected ones.

I'm still baffled as to what you are campaigning about when it comes to marriage and adoption though Blazey. Could you explain please?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:55   #99
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It drives me potty nowadays about the lack of protest with countries like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, as well as Zimbabwe, all with appalling human rights records, but all places we continue to have diplomatic relationships with, because of money.
The double standards displayed towards those regimes is practiced by governments and big business for economic reasons. The double standards over various repressive regimes displayed by students in the 60's/70's were down to which ones it was fashionable to protest against. A telling indicator of just how deeply those convictions were held. I don't know what present-day students get up to, but if they get on with their studies instead of shambling through the streets mouthing cliched slogans, they're doing themselves and us a favour.

And another thing about students in my day - despite professing to be revolutionary individualists, they were the most stultifyingly conformist set of sods I've ever come across - far more so than the "straight" society in the big world outside whom they looked down upon. If you didn't fit into the long-haired, rock-loving, Marxist mould, you were nowhere...and just try telling them that Mao Tse Tung was a murderous dictator! As I say, I don't know what students are like these days, but I would hope that they think for themselves, rather than just blindly following the fashions of the day, both sartorial and political, unlike the bunch of sheep that I went to college with.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:14   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
The double standards displayed towards those regimes is practiced by governments and big business for economic reasons. The double standards over various repressive regimes displayed by students in the 60's/70's were down to which ones it was fashionable to protest against. A telling indicator of just how deeply those convictions were held. I don't know what present-day students get up to, but if they get on with their studies instead of shambling through the streets mouthing cliched slogans, they're doing themselves and us a favour.

And another thing about students in my day - despite professing to be revolutionary individualists, they were the most stultifyingly conformist set of sods I've ever come across - far more so than the "straight" society in the big world outside whom they looked down upon. If you didn't fit into the long-haired, rock-loving, Marxist mould, you were nowhere...and just try telling them that Mao Tse Tung was a murderous dictator! As I say, I don't know what students are like these days, but I would hope that they think for themselves, rather than just blindly following the fashions of the day, both sartorial and political, unlike the bunch of sheep that I went to college with.
If you'll notice, nowhere in this long and rambling thread have I said that the students in the 60/70's were right. I merely pointed out their attitudes towards political causes, compared to the students of today.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:55   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm from a working class background and I passed my 11+ - so was everyone else in my class and they all passed too so how the heck was it discriminatory against us?

I passed mine too and I came from a poor home. I wasn't allowed to go to grammar school because my stepmother didn't want me to look like I was smarter than her thick as pig **** sons.

I was definatley discriminated against
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10   #102
God Member

I also passed mine I went to Notre Dame in Blackburn because mum couldn't afford uniform for Paddock House.
Old 12-11-2007, 15:44   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

As is also fact that spelling and grammar used to be a prerequisite for university entrance.
Is it not a prerequisite these days?

God, that's pathetic.
Old 12-11-2007, 15:46   #104
Resident Waffler

Rather worrying isn't it?

Old 12-11-2007, 15:49   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Rather worrying isn't it?
A complete travesty.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..