Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2007, 12:39   #61
I am Banned

Re: Artists in Accy?

Sorry to ruin your thread Blazey but they all said they wouldn't post if I took part in a thread. I'm so heartbroken. I don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe I should cry and whine like a baby but, then again, why should I sink to their level huh? I've been looking at some more of your work and I have to say I'm very impressed. You seem to be a very promising artist to me. I wish I could be in your position again where the world is yur oyster!
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2007, 14:41   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
This got the highest mark in the art exam so how dare you tell me my work cannot be art.
Because, irrespective of the mark your teachers decided to award, merely daubing paint on a surface and ascribing some obtuse meaning to the marks made is not "art". It never was and it never will be. "Art" is what happens in the mind of the viewer when considering the work of a master of his chosen craft. "Art provokes powerful, unexpected and often disturbing connections in the mind of the viewer. Go and see the work of Mark Rothko in the Tate Gallery and then ask the attendant how people react to it. Cutting and pasting the work of others does not demonstrate anything, other than a certain facility with glue and scissors.

Quote:
Shall I expect you to be at the preview to give a speech on how the moderators and my teachers have no capabilities at recognising art?
I am sure that your teacher is as capable of recognising "Art" as anyone else. Just as I am sure that your teacher is as capable of recognising dross in exactly the same way. The thing you must remember is that your teacher's continued employment, salary and pension depend on the grades acheived by students under his/her tuition. Regarding the "preview", thanks for the invitation but a quick look at my social diary reveals that I am scheduled to be sticking hot pins in my eyes that night. Sorry.

Quote:
Just because you don't like my style doesn't mean it isn't art.
You are actually quite correct in assuming that don't like your "style". I don't like it because I have seen it done so much better by people who knew what they were doing. I think that you will find, if you could be bothered to do the research, that the aims and objectives of the current curriculum, as it applies to studies up to 'A' level, is to increase awareness of the history of the subject and to encourage some practical appreciation of the skills employed. I am sure that even Tessa Jowell would not be so arrogant as to claim that the period of study leading to the 'A' level equipped candidates to be accomplished and finished artists.

Quote:
How dare you. Who are you to say what is and isn't art?
Errm, let me see...I hold O'level qualifications, A'level Qualifications, A Diploma of Higher Education, and a Degree, with honours, all in "Art" and related fields, I am also a member of the Association of Illustrators and I have earned a living from my work. I think that makes me more than qualified to offer a critique, don't you?

Quote:
Would you have even guessed the theme had it not been written for you to see?
I assume from this comment that your teachers have not seen fit to introduce you to the concept of "Art" as a method of communication that transcends the barriers of culture and the written word. What is the point of attempting to communicate an idea in purely visual terms which nobody can appreciate unless you accompany it with reams of tortuous written explanation?
Old 20-06-2007, 14:49   #63
Resident Waffler

Quote:
I dont recall saying that. In fact I don't recall saying much directly to you.

I would point you in the direction of the relevant post were it not for the fact that it has been removed (not at my request I hasten to add). I did question your comment at the time of posting but you chose not to reply - presumably because you had no facts to back up your ludicrous statement. Your memory seems to be failing you, a tragedy in one so young.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:50   #64
Resting in peace

Quote:
Acrylic-bob, What is the point of attempting to communicate an idea in purely visual terms which nobody can appreciate unless you accompany it with reams of tortuous written explanation?
And so say all of us, I wish I had your way with words 'Sir'.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:57   #65
God Member

I'll have one of your cakes Bob

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 15:09   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I would point you in the direction of the relevant post were it not for the fact that it has been removed (not at my request I hasten to add). I did question your comment at the time of posting but you chose not to reply - presumably because you had no facts to back up your ludicrous statement. Your memory seems to be failing you, a tragedy in one so young.
Whether or not I agree with Blazey I think you may owe her an apology. The relevant post has not been deleted it's here:http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/436326-post22.html

'Tis a tragedy of advancing years that one's memory begins to fail one.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 15:16   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Whether or not I agree with Blazey I think you may owe her an apology. The relevant post has not been deleted it's here:http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/436326-post22.html

i,m sure i read that comment a while before that was posted yerself, from somebody else, think the post your highlighting has quoted from it.
Old 20-06-2007, 15:25   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post

I had a feeling it wasn't me, though funnily enough I do suffer from a short term memory problem.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 15:27   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Because, irrespective of the mark your teachers decided to award, merely daubing paint on a surface and ascribing some obtuse meaning to the marks made is not "art". It never was and it never will be. "Art" is what happens in the mind of the viewer when considering the work of a master of his chosen craft. "Art provokes powerful, unexpected and often disturbing connections in the mind of the viewer. Go and see the work of Mark Rothko in the Tate Gallery and then ask the attendant how people react to it. Cutting and pasting the work of others does not demonstrate anything, other than a certain facility with glue and scissors.

I am sure that your teacher is as capable of recognising "Art" as anyone else. Just as I am sure that your teacher is as capable of recognising dross in exactly the same way. The thing you must remember is that your teacher's continued employment, salary and pension depend on the grades acheived by students under his/her tuition. Regarding the "preview", thanks for the invitation but a quick look at my social diary reveals that I am scheduled to be sticking hot pins in my eyes that night. Sorry.

You are actually quite correct in assuming that don't like your "style". I don't like it because I have seen it done so much better by people who knew what they were doing. I think that you will find, if you could be bothered to do the research, that the aims and objectives of the current curriculum, as it applies to studies up to 'A' level, is to increase awareness of the history of the subject and to encourage some practical appreciation of the skills employed. I am sure that even Tessa Jowell would not be so arrogant as to claim that the period of study leading to the 'A' level equipped candidates to be accomplished and finished artists.

Errm, let me see...I hold O'level qualifications, A'level Qualifications, A Diploma of Higher Education, and a Degree, with honours, all in "Art" and related fields, I am also a member of the Association of Illustrators and I have earned a living from my work. I think that makes me more than qualified to offer a critique, don't you?

I assume from this comment that your teachers have not seen fit to introduce you to the concept of "Art" as a method of communication that transcends the barriers of culture and the written word. What is the point of attempting to communicate an idea in purely visual terms which nobody can appreciate unless you accompany it with reams of tortuous written explanation?
Love I honestly don't have the time to read that to comment on it as the life of a student is so hectic and I already got the qualification that I dont actually CARE what you are saying. Its not my chosen profession anyway so good luck to you with your life choice, but I'll make my own.
Old 20-06-2007, 15:32   #70
Senior Member+

Willow in all fairness it was treacletart that said that to you. Not blazey , i see piltymon has been banned...
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 15:39   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
Willow in all fairness it was treacletart that said that to you. Not blazey , i see piltymon has been banned...
To point out I know I wouldnt have mentioned her following me around any forums because the only other forum I use is the student one and I can't see her using that one

Nonetheless I wont expect an apology.
Old 20-06-2007, 15:53   #72

what good news
Old 20-06-2007, 15:56   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
what good news
I dont understand, is this a question?
Old 20-06-2007, 16:31   #74
Resident Waffler

Thank you to Yerself and Nickelson for pointing out my error. I do apologise Blazey. I was mistaken. It was indeed someone else. I had tried to find the post amongst yours and when I couldn't find it I assumed it was one of those which had been deleted. So it is my memory which is failing me, not yours failing you.

Of course now that I see it was posted by someone who has since been banned I suppose I will never know the answer and it will puzzle me forever.

Old 20-06-2007, 16:36   #75
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i,m sure i read that comment a while before that was posted yerself, from somebody else, think the post your highlighting has quoted from it.
There may well have been more than one post on the same theme but they more than likely had the same source, no wonder I couldn't find it where I was looking.

I'm supposedly so well known on other forums for my bad behaviour though and it really puzzles me as to where this might be. It's a shame I never got a reply.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..