Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2007, 20:29   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Artists in Accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Wasn't that a play about a Danish pig?

I had heard the theories about the chimpanzees actually. I currently have 8 of them banging away on typewriters in my cellar. No Shakespeare yet, but they've just turned out Jeffrey Archer's next novel.
Let's hope the ones banging away in your callar stay with their respective 'fragrant' mates, and don't do their banging with prostitutes instead.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2007, 20:35   #92
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Let's hope the ones banging away in your callar stay with their respective 'fragrant' mates, and don't do their banging with prostitutes instead.
Ooooo..... now that's basement humour. My chimpanzees would never write anything like that.

This one thinks he's John Grisham....

Old 20-06-2007, 20:59   #93
Passed away 25-11-09

Call me a Phillistine (no, don't bother, you won't change my mind) but I don't rate Picasso at all, in fact I've always wondered if he was "having us on". People (mainly those who are paid to critique Art) tell us what a wonderful interpretation Picasso's Art was but, I'm sorry, I just don't "get" a woman with her breasts on her face and her left eye under her armpit. In my opinion he either had a weird sense of humour or he was permanently "high".
Old 20-06-2007, 21:01   #94
God Member

I had a brilliant time at the art preview. A swedish man took my name, he was interested in the consumerism one (the cow one) for some big offices he works in.

I dont think i'd let it go though, they should go as a full set really but he wanted something that wasnt controversial so the modelled to perfection one wouldn't have suited his needs.

Had a nice time.

And thanks for the bad rep. I dont know what i've done wrong yet in regards to being accused of telling willow she follows people around forums but if they'd read the thread the person would have realised it wasnt even me who had said it
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 21:03   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Call me a Phillistine (no, don't bother, you won't change my mind) but I don't rate Picasso at all, in fact I've always wondered if he was "having us on". People (mainly those who are paid to critique Art) tell us what a wonderful interpretation Picasso's Art was but, I'm sorry, I just don't "get" a woman with her breasts on her face and her left eye under her armpit. In my opinion he either had a weird sense of humour or he was permanently "high".
I never had a liking for Picasso either.

Right now I'm really liking Gustav Klimt. He has some brilliant pieces. Its a shame most of them aren't with their rightful owners though.
Old 20-06-2007, 21:25   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I had a brilliant time at the art preview.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and that it went well for you.

Old 20-06-2007, 21:28   #97
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Art is taught at a higher level as an acedemic subject, so there are very probably Van Goghs and Cezannes slipping through the net.

I doubt that a Van Gogh or a Cezanne could be taught anyway. In many ways they broke the mould (mold?) and wouldn't have conformed. Art as an academic subject is not the same as art itself. In the same way my daughter learns a lot about music theory but Segovia she ain't.

Quote:

And thanks for the bad rep. I dont know what i've done wrong yet in regards to being accused of telling willow she follows people around forums but if they'd read the thread the person would have realised it wasnt even me who had said it
I apologised to you for having thought that someone else's post was yours.

It didn't say I followed people around forums. It said I was well known on many forums and I was curious to know which ones they were as I don't actually visit that many very often, probably 4 on a daily basis and others less frequently.

I follow everyone around this forum because I look at all the new posts to see if there's anything interesting been written since I was last here. If a subject has some interesting new posts I answer them, if there is nothing new worth saying than I just move on to the next one. If you check my posts you'll see that I have responded to many people.

Quote:

Right now I'm really liking Gustav Klimt. He has some brilliant pieces.
I absolutely love some of Klimt's work - especially the meticulous detail in the hair. I don't have that kind of patience.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 21:29   #98
God Member

Quote:
I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and that it went well for you.
Thanks, the only downfall was that it was hot and everyone was getting tipsy by the time I got there. Was a good night though, I got a few funny remarks about going to study law lol. My art teacher expects I'll end up going back but I dont think I will.

I think its hard to make choices of what career to go into when people are dragging you two different ways. Arts obviously a brilliant career to go into but I can imagine people would be disappointed changing my mind from law to art...
Old 20-06-2007, 21:31   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

I doubt that a Van Gogh or a Cezanne could be taught anyway. In many ways they broke the mould (mold?) and wouldn't have conformed. Art as an academic subject is not the same as art itself. In the same way my daughter learns a lot about music theory but Segovia she ain't.

I apologised to you for having thought that someone else's post was yours.

It didn't say I followed people around forums. It said I was well known on many forums and I was curious to know which ones they were as I don't actually visit that many very often, probably 4 on a daily basis and others less frequently.

I follow everyone around this forum because I look at all the new posts to see if there's anything interesting been written since I was last here. If a subject has some interesting new posts I answer them, if there is nothing new worth saying than I just move on to the next one. If you check my posts you'll see that I have responded to many people.

I absolutely love some of Klimt's work - especially the meticulous detail in the hair. I don't have that kind of patience.
Apology accepted, I dont hold grudges. I can be quite tedious at times. My boyfriend says i'm a nightmare to deal with lol.

Yeh I like the big dresses and all the squares and triangles. I don have that patience either.
Old 20-06-2007, 21:35   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
There are very few artists making a living today, who haven't gone through the higher art education system in this country.

They act in the same way as the salons of Paris did in the nineteenth and early twentieth century, a place to further your learning and develop ideas amongst your contemporaries.

I do however half agree. Anyone can be taught how to draw, and the basic rules of painting, but true artistry can't be learnt.

Old 20-06-2007, 21:40   #101
God Member

Quote:
There are very few artists making a living today, who haven't gone through the higher art education system in this country.

They act in the same way as the salons of Paris did in the nineteenth and early twentieth century, a place to further your learning and develop ideas amongst your contemporaries.

I do however half agree. Anyone can be taught how to draw, and the basic rules of painting, but true artistry can't be learnt.
I shouted at my art teachers alot. Some of the work is brilliant in the BA student department but some of it u look at and think Turner/Monet/Picasso straight away. I find it a bit bland.
Old 20-06-2007, 21:40   #102

Glad you enjoyed it. I go to a couple of exhibition previews a month at different galleries, The booze and smooze is all part of it I am afraid. When you start showing your work at galleries you will get used to it.
Old 20-06-2007, 21:46   #103
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thanks, the only downfall was that it was hot and everyone was getting tipsy by the time I got there. Was a good night though, I got a few funny remarks about going to study law lol. My art teacher expects I'll end up going back but I dont think I will.

I think its hard to make choices of what career to go into when people are dragging you two different ways. Arts obviously a brilliant career to go into but I can imagine people would be disappointed changing my mind from law to art...
It is really hard to decide what you want to do at your age, but the best of luck with your choice.

I know people who've changed courses half way through...nothing is set in stone.

Old 20-06-2007, 21:47   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todbear View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. I go to a couple of exhibition previews a month at different galleries, The booze and smooze is all part of it I am afraid. When you start showing your work at galleries you will get used to it.
I'm going to carry on doing bits as a hobby but its not going to be much more than that from now on. My graduate teacher dave isnt too impressed though, he's been calling me his star all night then having a sulk because im doing law lol.

I hate situations like that though, its makes me want to be spontaneous and just give up on the whole academic thing and do something i enjoy but I know im not the right person for that.
Old 20-06-2007, 21:47   #105
Junior Member+

cant post the image,but if you go to saatchi online,and search for mark scott-wood-he's my sisters mate who is an artist-not my thing,but oh well!!
blackbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..