Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2007, 17:56   #16
God Member

Re: Artists in Accy?

"Common sense" is what people in common would agree: that which they "sense" in common as their common natural understanding. It has no connotation of prejudice, collected or otherwise, and it is not limited by age.

I think that you are, perhaps, mistaking it for the word "Pretention" and its conjugations; a surprisingly common failing in teenagers who believe that they know everything but who, on examination, turn out to know very little of any substance, breadth or depth.

I am, generally speaking, quite in favour of people expressing themselves, but do we really have to trawl through drivel of this sort...

" I wanted people to have to think about what I was portraying. Not every piece is as simple as it is first percieved. I wanted to capture pain and the sorrow that we often overlook when we consider notions of freedom.

We have the freedom to protect ourselves, protect our homes, protect our families. So often in the media recently there are stories of children committing gun crimes, carrying weaponry and so forth. Their misconception of need to protect often leads to the physicial pain of the individual, the pain of the friends and family, the pain their mother feels stronger than anyone that her baby has been slaughtered at the hands of another who practiced so called rights of protecting themselves."

At school I was taught that it was generally a good idea to "Think before you ink" I am certain a good deal of thinking has been put into the various ideas that make up this "artist's" statement, though sadly I am far from convinced that any of it is the fruit of the "artist's" own thought processes. Trite, obvious, mawkish and self-indulgent are the words that spring most readily to mind.

Art, by its very definition, cannot be taught. If it could then we would all be capable of learning how to do it. I can teach a person how to draw or how to paint, but I cannot teach a person how to create Art. And no amount of fine sounding phrases, angst and overblown handwringing will make juvenile daubing into anything other than what it is.
Old 19-06-2007, 18:02   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
"Common sense" is what people in common would agree: that which they "sense" in common as their common natural understanding. It has no connotation of prejudice, collected or otherwise, and it is not limited by age.

I think that you are, perhaps, mistaking it for the word "Pretention" and its conjugations; a surprisingly common failing in teenagers who believe that they know everything but who, on examination, turn out to know very little of any substance, breadth or depth.

I am, generally speaking, quite in favour of people expressing themselves, but do we really have to trawl through drivel of this sort...

" I wanted people to have to think about what I was portraying. Not every piece is as simple as it is first percieved. I wanted to capture pain and the sorrow that we often overlook when we consider notions of freedom.

We have the freedom to protect ourselves, protect our homes, protect our families. So often in the media recently there are stories of children committing gun crimes, carrying weaponry and so forth. Their misconception of need to protect often leads to the physicial pain of the individual, the pain of the friends and family, the pain their mother feels stronger than anyone that her baby has been slaughtered at the hands of another who practiced so called rights of protecting themselves."

At school I was taught that it was generally a good idea to "Think before you ink" I am certain a good deal of thinking has been put into the various ideas that make up this "artist's" statement, though sadly I am far from convinced that any of it is the fruit of the "artist's" own thought processes. Trite, obvious, mawkish and self-indulgent are the words that spring most readily to mind.

Art, by its very definition, cannot be taught. If it could then we would all be capable of learning how to do it. I can teach a person how to draw or how to paint, but I cannot teach a person how to create Art. And no amount of fine sounding phrases, angst and overblown handwringing will make juvenile daubing into anything other than what it is.
This got the highest mark in the art exam so how dare you tell me my work cannot be art.

Shall I expect you to be at the preview to give a speech on how the moderators and my teachers have no capabilities at recognising art?

The topic was freedom and I answered the question with negative aspects of freedom that are often overlooked; war, famine, domestic violence and so on.
Just because you don't like my style doesn't mean it isn't art. How dare you. Who are you to say what is and isn't art?

It was an explanation of where the idea came from. Would you have even guessed the theme had it not been written for you to see?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 18:06   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post

Ouch Bob............That should put the cat among the pidgeons

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 18:14   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Ouch Bob............That should put the cat among the pidgeons
It doesnt hurt, it just infuriates me that someone thinks they have some sort of right to say what is and isn't art.
My art work is an achievement and I have had plenty of really good feedback on it.

I'm proud to have achieved what I did. I just wanted to share it with everyone else and have a nice thread and its turned into another criticism of something i've wrote, not even the art work.

Don't see you posting your art works for everyone to see. Reminds me of the girls in my class who bitched about me all the time in class and then got a lower grade than me. Maybe if they'd spent less time bitching about it and getting on with their own work they'd have done better.
Old 19-06-2007, 18:24   #20
Junior Member+

This is what Acrylic-bob calls art.

BrianPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 18:30   #21
Senior Member+

I think someone has a criticism problem. Of course they'll deny it, but I wouldn't expect anything else.
Old 19-06-2007, 18:41   #22
Junior Member+

Oh well,I thought it was rather good,Blazey.
Friend of my sisters is an artist,and some of his work is odd to say the least!! I'll try and find a pic of some of his work.
If art is what you want to do as a career,fair play to ya.
blackbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 18:52   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I'm proud to have achieved what I did. I just wanted to share it with everyone else and have a nice thread
In other words, you just wanted everyone to tell you how wonderfully talented you are, while you basked in the adulation. Sorry, the real world doesn't work that way. If you can't take criticism, you've got a rough ride ahead!
Old 19-06-2007, 18:54   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Oh well,I thought it was rather good,Blazey.
Friend of my sisters is an artist,and some of his work is odd to say the least!! I'll try and find a pic of some of his work.
If art is what you want to do as a career,fair play to ya.
Its more of a hobby. Its just cutting hand made stencils and spraying them. They can take a while to cut and layer and everything so I'm defensive because alot of hours went into my work and this is the first horrible criticism i've had just because of what I wrote to describe the theme.

I'd like to see his work.
Old 19-06-2007, 18:56   #25

Their not the type of things I would hang on my wall but they do look interesting
Tombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 18:56   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
In other words, you just wanted everyone to tell you how wonderfully talented you are, while you basked in the adulation. Sorry, the real world doesn't work that way. If you can't take criticism, you've got a rough ride ahead!
The thread isnt called LOOK AT MY ART, its for everyone to post their art. Noticeably the people who HAVE criticised rudely havent got anything of their own to show for. Either they're hiding it away or they just wanted to criticise someone elses.

I wouldn't mind but it wasn't the work that was criticised, the only fault someone could find was with the description lol. As for being compared to another talented artist, I am overwhelmed at that even if maybe they could have been trying to say I ripped off someone elses.
Old 19-06-2007, 18:57   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPotter View Post
This is what Acrylic-bob calls art.

What do you mean by this?

Wedding cakes can be a brilliant art though, they take alot of skill and its something I couldnt do. Have you seen that advert where they make that car out of cake!? wow.
Old 19-06-2007, 19:02   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
The thread isnt called LOOK AT MY ART, its for everyone to post their art. Noticeably the people who HAVE criticised rudely havent got anything of their own to show for. Either they're hiding it away or they just wanted to criticise someone elses.
No, but it may have well as been, because that was the intent behind it. And are you really saying that only other artists are allowed to criticize your work?
Old 19-06-2007, 19:03   #29
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

[quote=blazey;437685]The thread isnt called LOOK AT MY ART, its for everyone to post their art. Noticeably the people who HAVE criticised rudely havent got anything of their own to show for. [quote]

Actually, examples of Garinda and Acrylic Bob's art are posted in some old threads, I have to say that they are, in my opinion, brilliant..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 19:06   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, but it may have well as been, because that was the intent behind it. And are you really saying that only other artists are allowed to criticize your work?
I said who are they to say what is or is not art. Saying 'that isnt art' isn't criticism at all. Its just plain rude.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..