Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 22:00   #16

Re: bailiffs

I agree with chav, it's not the bailiffs at fault but HBC for sending them. What gets me is when you get into trouble with your council tax and go and see HBC if you make an offer to pay x amount of £s each week very often they will say no it's not enough. They then send the bailiffs who look around your property logging what goods you own, they then sit with you ask how much you can afford. You give them a figure and most of the time they will accept this. Very often it is a lesser sum than you offered HBC in the first place!!! But it has cost you an extra 100 & odd £s bailiffs costs
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2005, 08:09   #17

i didnt get chance to pay them its tax bills the comp were down when i rang them to sort it out then i got a letter statin thay had been tryin to get hold of me but ive only received 1 letter and when i rang the bailliffs to make a arangment they said i had to 100 pounds a month but i told them i couldnt afford that and thay just said well you either pay that or the bailiffs will come out then 2 days later i received a letter saying thay were gunna come out that week so i rang them to see if thay will put it on hold and she said i can only put it on hold till the end off the week so i said but i have to right a letter to the town hall and it will take a week for them to get it but she wouldnt put it on hold any longer so ive had to go down to the town hall and sort it out there and when i told them about it and asked what do i do if thay come around thay just said laugh in there faces and tell em to f**k of youve sorted it and all thay could was laugh cuz thay could just see there faces but now its sorted i just wandered what everyone else thought of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Naughty, naughty....not been paying your bills, eh?
carl hurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:17   #18

well im on benifits like you just said people on benifits cant afford the bailiffs but it only got passed on to them because there comps were down at the time i rang them but thank fully its sorted now and it will be comein out of our dole money wich is better than a 100 pounds a mnth cuz now its only about a 10.00 wich makes it much better cuz now i can get my kids b/day presants and a new double buggy and then xmas presants its about time my kids had a good xmas lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i think bailifs are justified in what they do expept when HBC sends bailifs to peoples houses because they cant afford the extortionate counclil tax that HBC charge and dare to buy their family food rather than pay the council tax bill

yes i know they have ths so called council tax benefit and yes if you are on income support you qualify for a massive reduction but there are many people out there who are on incapacity benefit genuinly and because they get slightly more than people on income support they are classed as considerably richer and have to pay full council tax

never mind that when on incapacity benefit you still have to pay for prescriptions , dental treatment and other things you dont get like you do on income support which eats up the little extra you get

i know 1 person who is on incapacity benefit and they have to pay full council tax and pay the mortgage out of his benefit but if he was on icome support he would get his mortgage paid or at least the interest and have a verry small counciltax bill yet HBC say he is well off and if he dosnt pay all his council tax bill it will be sent to the bailifs

so in answer to your question no i dont think bailifs are w**nkers but i do think HBC are a bunch of w**kers for sending bailifs after those who cant afford to pay their council tax and would love to be in a finantial position where they could instead of scraping and choosing between a roof over their head or the bailifs and possible imprisonment

i agree that people who sighn contracts like hire purchase should be passed on to bailifs but councils should not be allowed to use bailifs to take the poor peoples possestions because they cant afford to pay a TAX that is only as high as it is because of counilors incompitance
Old 10-08-2005, 08:36   #19
God Member

Maybe you could also afford a keyboard with punctuation characters? Geesh, that first post is really hard to read.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:37   #20

sorry i cant spell all that good
Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Maybe you could also afford a keyboard with punctuation characters? Geesh, that first post is really hard to read.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:55   #21
God Member

I'm not that bothered about spelling(my fingers often make the odd slip as well) its the lack of any breaks in it. i.e. your full stops so that people can see what is a sentance and where it starts and ends. without them it is very difficult to read and get from it what you are trying to say.
Old 10-08-2005, 17:32   #22
Always EVIL within us

BAILIFFS!!!!

They are sent round to collect money owed or to collect from you personal items to be sold at auction so that the debtee? can recover as much money owed as possible.

Many years ago, I had to deal with them after having a wife that didn't understand the connection between plastic card and income!

They have NO power PROVIDING they do not put one foot inside your door. Once they are inside, they have the right to return WITHOUT your permission to price up, remove and sell your personal belongings.

Generally, the conversation starts: "Can I come in to discuss the matter!" The answer is NO!! Talk at the door, but on no account let them in. THAT IS YOUR RIGHT! Once they have had permission to enter your premises, they can legally look through your window, appraise and remove items for auction!

By talking on the doorstep, theyare legally helpless!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:04   #23
God Member

Good info there busman!

Should I ever need it that is
Old 11-08-2005, 10:16   #24
Give, give, give member

I can't believe the people at the Townhall told you to tell the bailiffs to laugh in their face and to tell them to 'f**k off.'

When I've been in to see them they have always been professional and very helpful, even pointing me in the right direction to make sure I was getting all the benefits I was entitled to, unconnected to the council tax.

Carl if they did say this to you, I suggest you should make a complaint.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:13   #25

I have come accross bailiffs several times in the past Not at my Home) but I have to admit I have always found them to be sympathetic and really quite caring. The attitude, I suppose must vary with the circumstances on the day. Like has been said before it is a thankless job and bad apples turn up everywhere.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 13:18   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

People on benefits should be going to welfare rights to find out what they should be claiming to help with things like council tax and household expenses. By household expenses I mean gas, electricity etc.
Far too many people buy things that they cannot afford. When I worked on district I was sick of the sight of visiting families where neither parent had worked a day in their lives but they had the latest mobile phones, computers, wide screen tv's, DVDs etc. In short, all the things that some of the working families could ill afford. My advice would be that if you don't want the bailiffs involved then pay what you owe, even if it means having to sell something in order to do it...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 14:16   #27
God Member

I think this is the fault of the places that do guaranteed credit. Like that place at the bottom of St James street. You too can have a wizzy bang widescreen TV as long as you are happy paying 30%interest. A
Old 11-08-2005, 20:26   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

I used to work with bailiffs, in my job. In my particular sphere the bailiffs didn't have the powers, I did. They were there as advisers and witnesses. I had the power to levy distraint on any goods, whether or not I entered the premises, but I also had the discretion to make arrangements to pay. The purpose of levying was, in effect, to secure the arrangement in most cases. The person concerned knew that if he or she didn't keep to the arrangement the goods had been levied on and could be confiscated. That was far better than just removing goods as they never covered the whole debt.

No, I didn't work for a Council - I'm a Civil Servant. Very often people hadn't paid because they were, genuinely, short of money but instead of contacting us immediately they had ignored demands etc.

Court bailiffs are a different matter. They do have powers and can demand right of entry and remove goods much more readily. This is because the Court has ordered distraint, usually, when a court order has been violated. Court bailiffs don't have any discretion to give time to pay and nor do private bailiff companies.

The moral, if there is one, is never put things off. If you can't pay, ask for time straight away and, if it's granted, stick to the arrangement.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:24   #29

what if thay said thayed sent letters and i only received the one what are my rights there cuz i contacted them strait away and thay just said you should of contacted us on the first letter but i diddnt receive any other letters and thay wouldnt come to an agremant so what are my rights there
Old 12-08-2005, 07:33   #30
Resting in Peace

Have a look here it might help

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...=bailiffs&cq=1

or this 1

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ent_against_me

Last edited by Mick; 12-08-2005 at 07:37.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..