Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2013, 22:37   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Bedroom tax - targeting the poorest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Only the interest is provided for - was that way when I worked there, so it hasn't ever helped people buy houses.
This was about ten years ago, was that the case then? Because that`s not what they told us. And even if only interest was paid, if the value of the property increased, which it would have, they could sell it for a profit and that`s one less council house.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2013, 22:50   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
This was about ten years ago, was that the case then? Because that`s not what they told us. And even if only interest was paid, if the value of the property increased, which it would have, they could sell it for a profit and that`s one less council house.
I worked in DHSS (DWP) from 1959 to 1994 -interest only applied for that time.

Ex council houses don't increase in value as much as others do, because owner/occupiers are concerned about 'location'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 22:53   #93
God Member

I know people who got their rent paid on a council house for years then when the right to buy came in got a part time job to qualify for what i think was a government backed mortgage then quit their jobs or took action to ensure they lost their job and got payments to ensure they didnt loose the house.A few years later these houses got sold for many thousands proffit to mostly private landlords.

people shoudl never have been allowed to buy council houses but i dont blame people for doing so.Most if not all council houses come with front and back garden and these were been sold at a fraction of their worth hence the huge proffit when sold by the ex tennant

i dont buy they dont gain as much value because not all council houses were in crap areas some infact quite a lot werein nice areas and some in very desireable areas.

i think my mates dad paid 12 grand for a 3 bed semi detached in ossy near whitebirk road with fron,side and rear gardens when a 2 bed terrace on devonshire street with no gardens was £28 grand

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 17-05-2013 at 22:57.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 22:57   #94
Senior Member+

At the same time, we were offered ours at £15,000. I`m pretty sure it will be worth a hell of a lot more now.
Old 17-05-2013, 22:58   #95
God Member

i shoudl add he paid his rent but others on the avenue didnt it was the tax payers money

most of them sold pretty quick for a proffit and drank it away down teh pub then got a rented house and got the rent paid for again

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 17-05-2013, 23:03   #96
Senior Member+

just looked on zoopla, the council house 5 doors up from the house I could have bought for £15,000, sold for £60,000 last year
Old 17-05-2013, 23:06   #97
God Member

1 government was stupid for selling them and 1 government was stupid for speeding up teh process by introducing self declaration mortgages were you didnt really need to prove you had the ability to pay a mortgage just prommise that you could

notice how most of these dodgy looking mortage shops are shut these days

thats because %100 and self declaration mortgages have gone out the window and that bank we bailed out that gave mortgages on peoples word

northern rock i think it was called

a 5 year old could get a mortgage with them it was gobsmacking how easy it was

you got a high interest morthage with northern rock with no proof of ability to pay then transfer your mortgage to a more reputable bank after a year

haha reputable lol

i had a few dodgy methods explained to me when i was after a mortgage and making enquiries

Last edited by accyman; 17-05-2013 at 23:10.
Old 17-05-2013, 23:26   #98
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I thought the law had been changed several years ago could be wrong, under the impression they will only pay the interest on the mortgage now?
I know a few people who were married, then got divorced and are still living in their house and paying their mortgage off. They are claiming benefits as they are working part time to keep their hours under whatever it has to be. Without the benefits being paid to them they would not be able to pay the mortgage still and would have to sell the house and move elsewhere. Ok they would end up in rented paid by some other benefit but as it stands they are able to pay off their mortgage because of working family tax credits or whatever. That house is increasing in value being paid for by benefits.

Does that make sense, I think I confused myself?
Old 17-05-2013, 23:39   #99

Bedroom tax - targeting the poorest.

Northern Rock did 125% loan to value mortgages, so no deposit required and they'll give you 25% of what the house was worth on top. Much of that lending is now being paid by the taxpayer.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 00:02   #100
God Member

these are the mortgages the goverment say they are going write off the 100% mortgages are back.
Old 18-05-2013, 14:16   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
these are the mortgages the goverment say they are going write off the 100% mortgages are back.
Halifax now offering 120% mortgages ( to existing borrowers )
Halifax | Mortgages | Switch to a new deal
Old 19-05-2013, 21:06   #102
God Member

The feelings roused by the bedroom tax are just as volatile as the poll tax once was.

The government are planning for riots.
Enter the water cannon: Two years on from the riots that scarred Britain, hundreds of police are training at a secret base with a fearsome new deterrent | Mail Online

I recall some people here were advocating their use in the riots that happened a couple of years back. They are more than 'a cold shower'. Some serious injuries have resulted from their use.

Tuition fees protests: The devastating effects of water cannons revealed | Mail Online
"But he was hit directly in the face with such force that he lost consciousness.
His eyelids were torn, the lenses of his eyes were damaged and part of his orbital bone – which encases the eye – was fractured."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..