Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2005, 20:31   #61
Resident Waffler

Re: BEWARE the town hall drivers....

I'm surprised that Peter Britcliffe hasn't already thought of the money making idea but it looks as though the decision has already been made. We are having traffic lights. I can't see it lasting very long so maybe the next idea will be a camera.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2005, 20:32   #62
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
No Willow street is turn left after library, childrens library entrance is or was on Willow street, the turn right one begins with "H"
Holme Street

Old 25-01-2005, 21:50   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm surprised that Peter Britcliffe hasn't already thought of the money making idea but it looks as though the decision has already been made. We are having traffic lights. I can't see it lasting very long so maybe the next idea will be a camera.
Ok, but as I indicated previous, for traffic lights with a "green" only for authorised vehicles, they need the camera equipment, cause the only way it can be done is by number plate recognition, or by remote readers installed in the cabs of buses, switching the lights, which would be open to abuse. So lets wait and see what they do come up with, but I think you will see cameras as well as the traffic lights.
Another thought.............is that HBC have not thought this through.........and do not realise the implications of that type of system, when quotes come in, it may be beyond their BUDGET, unless there is a grant avialable from the EU.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 21:51   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Holme Street
That's the one, as you said where all the "Taxis" are

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 22:36   #65
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Another thought.............is that HBC have not thought this through.........and do not realise the implications of that type of system, when quotes come in, it may be beyond their BUDGET, unless there is a grant avialable from the EU.
That would come as no surprise.

Old 26-01-2005, 06:36   #66
God Member

Persoanlly I can't see the benefit of putting lights there. People are already ignoring what is effectively a No Entry sign so why should they care what colour light is showing? Either get the CCTV trained on it and fine any unauthorised users and publish their names in the Obs or open the sodding road back up to all traffic. I don't think it would be that busy anyway as most people would still find going round the centre far quicker than waiting at all the lights.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 07:00   #67
Resident Waffler

Instead of lights why not bollards which only retract for buses? That would prevent unauthorised use. But I still agree that opening it up again to all traffic is the ideal solution. Make it look like a road, act like a road (how does a road act?) and call it a flippin road.

Old 26-01-2005, 07:03   #68

Surely the cost of paying a traffic warden to go round there on his/her rounds would be minimal compared to the cost of such a system?
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 07:07   #69
Resident Waffler

We could have one permanently stationed in a parked car at the bottom of St. James. Street, who could then leap out as soon as they spot someone going through! Nah, maybe not.

Old 28-01-2005, 01:38   #70
I am Banned

i think its kind of funny that accy is full of speed bumps yet there are none to be found in a pedestrianised zone to stop the busses speeding
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 06:40   #71
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i think its kind of funny that accy is full of speed bumps yet there are none to be found in a pedestrianised zone to stop the busses speeding
WELL SAID. bus drivers are the worst ppl on the road anyway.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 07:07   #72
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by removal-man

WELL SAID. bus drivers are the worst ppl on the road anyway.
You cannot generalise about one section of the community in such a way. Many people would be stranded if it weren't for buses and there are a lot of excellent bus drivers. The ones who do the Fern Gore route always seem to be careful, courteous and helpful. No doubt there are others who don't fit that description but one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch.

Old 28-01-2005, 08:02   #73
I am Banned

Talking Re: BEWARE the town hall drivers....

Quote:
You cannot generalise about one section of the community in such a way. Many people would be stranded if it weren't for buses and there are a lot of excellent bus drivers. The ones who do the Fern Gore route always seem to be careful, courteous and helpful. No doubt there are others who don't fit that description but one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch.
dont bite EVERY time i take the ****. i have never driven past the town hall, but you only have to say you have and off they go!
Old 28-01-2005, 08:23   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by removal-man
dont bite EVERY time i take the ****. i have never driven past the town hall, but you only have to say you have and off they go!
What you don't seem to have grasped yet is that people will take things differently when you communicate in a written format.

You may have well had a smile on your face when submitting your posts, but the rest of us on the forum have no way of seeing that smile, so you have to use the tools on here that are provided for that very purpose. The smilies.

Things like or when you are joking normally do the trick

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 08:27   #75
I am Banned

Talking Re: BEWARE the town hall drivers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
What you don't seem to have grasped yet is that people will take things differently when you communicate in a written format.

You may have well had a smile on your face when submitting your posts, but the rest of us on the forum have no way of seeing that smile, so you have to use the tools on here that are provided for that very purpose. The smilies.

Things like or when you are joking normally do the trick
id rather you get used to me by reading my posts/replies and knowing im taking the p*ss

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..