Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2005, 20:59   #106
Senior Member+

Re: BEWARE the town hall drivers....

Ah yes you are correct, the area is block paved, which would suggest a pedestrian area. but there is a crossing at the corner of Church street

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2005, 23:29   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
the point is we are talking mainly about the 5mp zone and yes we all know to look left and right but thats no good when i car appears from no where when you are half way across the road

you sure as hell see it but can do nothing about it especialy if your pushing a pram or struggle to walk like a pensioner or somthing

that comment about people should look left and right was about as meaningful as the drink driver who says i only had 4 pints i can handle my booze just before killing someone with his car

sorry dude but the only place a car should have priority over pedestrians is the motorway or race track as they are desighned soley for cars

a driving licence is a privalage not a right and motorists should remember that they dont own sole owndership to the roads us pedestrians need to be on them occasionaly to get to the other side

edit:

as for voicing your opinion even if people disagree with it you have the right to voice it no matter how long you have been here
Chav,

You talk such sense, in this post as in others, I really think you ought to change your pseudonym... Chav1 doesn't do you justice!! It's soooo negative!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 00:24   #108
I am Banned

well it just amazes me how drivers can sit back and say its up to pedestrians to watch where they are going we dont deliberatly set out to walk infron of cars like lemmings

ime not saying all drivers do this but it realy gets on my nerves when some prat is playing their car stero so loud their defening the street while tapping away on their steerin wheel and speeding above designated speed limets then has absolutley no explination why hes just ran over someone apart from that the person he just hit must not have been looking where they were going as they were in full contol of their car and such expert drivers

if you want to drive like a pratt buy a landrover , stick a v8 engine in it and go off road comp racing like me and my friends used to

hey ime not saying all drivers are bad but you got to admit accrington is full of idiot drivers old and young

correct me if i am wrong but there is no designated pedestrian crossing between the points of the lights at the top of little blackburn road and where dolly greys used to be as the ripped up the zebra crossing there

the cobbles are decorative to make accy look nice and thats their only use unless they have been added to the highway code as a kind of zebra crossing but i will have to check that up

Quote:
but there is a crossing at the corner of Church street
you have to cross over blackburn road to get to the one outside the regency and the one on the bus depot only takes you across the bus station they need one to get you safely across blackburn road although they probably didnt put one there because its meant to be a pedestrian zone exept busses etc

Last edited by chav1; 18-02-2005 at 00:28.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 22:33   #109
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by removal-man
LOOK BEFORE YOU CROSS and remember the highway code.
and doesn't the Highway Code have something about obeying the signs? Cars are not permitted on that stretch of road.

Pedestrians do look before they cross, they see a car approach the roundabout - that car should be going round the roundabout. They see no bus so they start to cross and then the idiot driver who thinks he/she is above the law drives down a 5mph stretch of road at speeds up to (and sometimes in excess of) 30mph where he/she shouldn't even be in the first place. Don't try passing the buck and blaming the pedestrian.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 22:52   #110
I am Banned

i wonder if we were to throw bricks at cars speeding through that area we would get away with saying , hey it shouldnt have been there in the first place to have bricks thrown at it lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 22:53   #111
Resident Waffler

Only if you can prove you were throwing a brick for another pedestrian to catch at the other side and make sure there are no buses coming.

Old 19-02-2005, 22:55   #112
Member.

At the risk of ridicule, would it not be better to petition HBC to put in Bollards and make the area purely pedestrian, moving a bus stop or two and making the buses take a longer route as got to be cheaper than a life. Maybe you should ask them to put up CCTV and then name, shame and then prosecutes the ba****ds. Just a thought.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 22:58   #113
Resident Waffler

Hyndborg BC seem to think they will solve the problem of this "bed settee" by installing traffic lights.

It really doesn't matter that the majority of the population think it's a barmy idea - they'll go ahead and do it anyway because Peter Britcliffe thinks it's a good idea.

Old 19-02-2005, 23:01   #114
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Ah yes you are correct, the area is block paved, which would suggest a pedestrian area. but there is a crossing at the corner of Church street
I thought that was no longer there. I'll have to go and have another look. It's not just a case of "suggesting" a pedestrian area though. Cars are banned. There are signs which say so.

Old 19-02-2005, 23:09   #115
Member.

Another thought...Is there not an election due this year. Do people believe that they have got to settle for what this gentleman thinks?

Lights would be more likely to compound the issue and won’t stop people from putting their foot down on amber, or on red for that matter. Pedestrians are more likely to be given a false sense of security with lights after all they will still be expecting buses to be doing 5 mph.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 19-02-2005, 23:15   #116

I remember seeing it.It was a taxi,Britcliffe was in the back of it.Must have been taking a shortcut.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 23:15   #117
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I thought that was no longer there. I'll have to go and have another look. It's not just a case of "suggesting" a pedestrian area though. Cars are banned. There are signs which say so.
If it's to be safe for people you would have to stop all traffic passing through the area, unless HBC was to enforce its own bylaws and stop these people by prosecution, realistic fines and or, licensing bans on Taxi drivers “on or off duty”.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 19-02-2005, 23:26   #118

Police had a crackdown on car drivers going passed the town hall,all they received were slapped wrists i've witnessed them parked up and stopping offenders.The top of bburn rd to Royal Bank of Scotland and all of Church Street should be pedestrianised except for buses,vehicles making deliveries and car park access.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 16:29   #119
Full Member+

PJ 53 HYT white Ford Transit Connect and yes I`m still watching......
Old 11-03-2005, 22:29   #120
I am Banned

This may sound sad but David Myles and I sat outside for 45 minutes and 50 cars went passed. Half were taxis and the other half drivers who had the look on the faces that they knew exactly what they were doing and didn't give a ****. Which makes it worse. Because they dont look for pedestrians, they are looking for anyone watching them, police etc.. and they try and get thru as quick as poss, so not to get caught. Taxi drivers are a mixed bag of either the same or blatent slow arrogance.

The taxi assocaition leader has a weekly audieice at the palace of the almightly one and refuses to accept that taxis are not public transport it all gets confusing. The Police STILL cant explain why they dont enforce. That is the best solution.

Th eproblem with buses is 1. Eagle St, Paradise St, Church St route will cause chaos, as it did previously when they had to use that route temporarily. 2. modern low floor/axel buses can't easily turn and make gradient up eagle st

Someone will get killed. Especially as Kevin Cosgrove has planning permission for a large all day drinking pub in the building opposite that is the length of it nearly. Blockbusters are the only firm allowed to continue their tenancy. And the 2nd floor a restaurant.

PB's problem is it is out of his control. Highways are LCC and HBC has no brass anyway. County want to put an electronic barrier with lights. Triggered by a pass attached to the fornt of the vehicle.

Still PB should do 2 things. 1 TELL the police to enforce. Wonder why he wont possible due to reason 2. -2. Tell the taxi drivers they cant instead of cosy weekly chats to make sure taxi drivers are as accomodated as possible by the Conservatives!
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..