Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2005, 17:53   #46
Senior Member+

Re: BEWARE the town hall drivers....

I think this thread and the thread "Traffic lights for Town Hall" should be together cause they are both on the same track, here's the Observer page with details of HBC's proposals

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk...e_id=11948.html

HBC indicate that the "Lights" will only turn "green" for an authorised vehicles, now this is technology, how they goina do that, by swipe card... hee hee, a little man pressing a button... hee hee, or by number plate recognition, wow now there's a thought, all the buses number plates on file on a computer, and the buses on camera (which they would need to carry out number plate recognition) . The camera would also show unauthorised vehicles "goin through a RED light", and would have recorded their number plate. Think what HBC could do with this information, could be a good earner, from all the posts on this thread. I wonder if when the lights did turn "green" there would be a loud audible warning for the people walking across the "Pedestrianised area"
All this is costly, it's like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Why not just CLOSE it to ALL traffic, and find another route for the buses.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2005, 18:07   #47
Resident Waffler

It looks like we've already had something merged into this thread because there's a lack of continuity on the previous page.

I'm more in favour of opening up the flippin thing as a proper road and putting a pelican crossing in front of the Town Hall/Market Hall, but that probably wouldn't waste enough money.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 18:10   #48
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Surely the taxi is accountable to the council?

I'd report them.

And I'm tempted to pass on telephone numbers of people who admit to using roads when they shouldn't be...
The difficulty would come in trying to prove it without photographs as evidence.

Old 25-01-2005, 18:30   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It looks like we've already had something merged into this thread because there's a lack of continuity on the previous page.

I'm more in favour of opening up the flippin thing as a proper road and putting a pelican crossing in front of the Town Hall/Market Hall, but that probably wouldn't waste enough money.
Hey WtW that would be some large pelican crossing "Town Hall/Market Hall", no to be serious !!! it would solve the issue, but you would need to make it look like a road again

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-01-2005, 18:59   #50
Resident Waffler

I was indicating the general area. Somewhere convenient along there. The way Broadway has been mucked about with I shouldn't imagine it would be all that difficult to make this area look like a road again. According to some people it already does.

Old 25-01-2005, 19:11   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
I was indicating the general area. Somewhere convenient along there. The way Broadway has been mucked about with I shouldn't imagine it would be all that difficult to make this area look like a road again. According to some people it already does.
Yep had guessed that, would go along with either, but what about Dutton St. is traffic allowed down that now? if so where do they go.

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-01-2005, 19:14   #52
Resident Waffler

That one has always puzzled me. Especially when McDonalds was down there and people used to park at the side.

Old 25-01-2005, 19:24   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
That one has always puzzled me. Especially when McDonalds was down there and people used to park at the side.
Ah, we have found a way round.....down St James st. turn right after the Library (don't know the street name) and turn left in to Dutton St. Go to bottom and turn left or right, take yer pick...............Nay its to narrow to send the buses down there.
But that little detour could and has caused a lot of problems.
If HBC went with the "Traffic Lights" - Authorised "Green" only, what would they do with that one.

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-01-2005, 19:33   #54
Resident Waffler

Willow Street - where the taxis are?

Old 25-01-2005, 19:39   #55
Senior Member+

How about a system like the one they have in London, but slightly modified.

In London, they have bus lane cameras - you get caught in one of them and you get your picture taken.

Someone was turning right and the car behind them went round the inside, but in doing so went into a bus lane. Next thing they know they have a picture worth £100!

I am sure this would be relatively inexpensive, and as has been mentioned, would make some serious money!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 19:43   #56
I am Banned

Wink Re: BEWARE the town hall drivers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
Then I sincerely hope you are the one getting arrested and receiving penalty points.

The damn road is not open to general traffic whether you like it or not. How you can say it looks as if it is when there are obviously a number of signs showing otherwise would tend to indicate that you either never passed a driving test or ought to re-take it as you have forgotten the very basics.
if a bus can use it, i can. the best ones are the bus lanes in the morning in manchester. straight to the front then cut in on a pensioner doing 15 mph.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 19:45   #57
I am Banned

Red face Re: BEWARE the town hall drivers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
I think this thread and the thread "Traffic lights for Town Hall" should be together cause they are both on the same track, here's the Observer page with details of HBC's proposals

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk...e_id=11948.html

HBC indicate that the "Lights" will only turn "green" for an authorised vehicles, now this is technology, how they goina do that, by swipe card... hee hee, a little man pressing a button... hee hee, or by number plate recognition, wow now there's a thought, all the buses number plates on file on a computer, and the buses on camera (which they would need to carry out number plate recognition) . The camera would also show unauthorised vehicles "goin through a RED light", and would have recorded their number plate. Think what HBC could do with this information, could be a good earner, from all the posts on this thread. I wonder if when the lights did turn "green" there would be a loud audible warning for the people walking across the "Pedestrianised area"
All this is costly, it's like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Why not just CLOSE it to ALL traffic, and find another route for the buses.
OR OPEN IT TO ALL TRAFFIC?
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 19:59   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Willow Street - where the taxis are?
No Willow street is turn left after library, childrens library entrance is or was on Willow street, the turn right one begins with "H"

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-01-2005, 20:01   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
How about a system like the one they have in London, but slightly modified.

In London, they have bus lane cameras - you get caught in one of them and you get your picture taken.

Someone was turning right and the car behind them went round the inside, but in doing so went into a bus lane. Next thing they know they have a picture worth £100!

I am sure this would be relatively inexpensive, and as has been mentioned, would make some serious money!
So would HBC's Authorised only traffic lights, they would need cameras for that method

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-01-2005, 20:06   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by removal-man
OR OPEN IT TO ALL TRAFFIC?
Oh come on, you are local, you know yer way round it, at very little distance and cost, so whats the problem. Who would want to drive down Blackburn road towards the centre anyway, thats just as bad.

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..