Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2007, 07:20   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Bridges of Accrington(Historical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think you used to walk over a bridge on the way up to the old baths and I think there was another further up, one going over the same street near to Howard and Bulloughs ......note I said think , could be wrong about both , also one on Lonsdale st.
Do you mean the old railway bridge near where St John's ambulance now is? There was also a kind of a bridge going across Ormerod Street from one factory building to the other (one which is now Scaitcliffe house) for Bulloughs workers.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2007, 12:39   #32
I am Banned

Does anybody remember the old swing bridge on the track through Jacksons farm land? Is it still there? I remember spending many a happy hour playing on it with my mates when I was young. Got chased off a few times too! The cops never did have enough sense to send two cars. Whichever way they came we opened the bridge on em and fled the other way.
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 12:41   #33
Resident Waffler

There's a swing bridge over the canal down by Express Gifts bottom of Dill Hall Lane. Do you mean that one?

Old 18-06-2007, 12:53   #34
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Do you mean the old railway bridge near where St John's ambulance now is? There was also a kind of a bridge going across Ormerod Street from one factory building to the other (one which is now Scaitcliffe house) for Bulloughs workers.
Was that not the link from Howard and Bulloughs factory to the canteen, as I think the building opposite the factory was the canteen?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 12:56   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Was that not the link from Howard and Bulloughs factory to the canteen, as I think the building opposite the factory was the canteen?
I seem to remember there were two there, one above the other one. There were also similar "bridges" on Brown Street and Fountain Street, to link up the various Bulloughs buildings.
Old 18-06-2007, 13:00   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
There's a swing bridge over the canal down by Express Gifts bottom of Dill Hall Lane. Do you mean that one?

No but, we used to play on that one too until they started locking it closed. This one ran from Jacksons farm(at the top of the hill on Dill Hall Lane(which interestingly started life as Drill Hall Lane on account of the drill hall that used to be near the bottom of the hill!) and what became GEC that I believe is now an industrial park. An unrelated piece of history that pertains to the farm would be that Mr Jackson used to deliver milk by horse and cart. One day while stepping of the cart on the hill of Dill Hall Lane he was struck by Mr Spencer from Spencers bike shop. Mr Spencer crashed his racing bike and, tragically, killed. Both men were nice guys and made contributions both to Accrington and its history.
Old 18-06-2007, 14:32   #37
Resting in Peace

There is also a bridge over Whalley Road near to Eastgate (Castle St) and then there is the Metal bridge over the railway.

With regards to the Platts bridges I worked there in the 70's and yes it was the canteen which is now council offices as one of the youngest in the "shop" I had to go and get the breakfast toast for all LOL.

Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 16:58   #38
I am Banned

Can anyone think of any bridges not mentioned? Does anyone have a story about something that happened near one of them?
Old 18-06-2007, 22:00   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
Can anyone think of any bridges not mentioned? Does anyone have a story about something that happened near one of them?
No stories pilty,but made a point of counting the bridges I went over/under to work this morning .. tried to grab the dates but, amazingly, the traffice was actually moving. I counted 6 (2 were motorway but they don't really count)
How could I forget the railway bridge at Oswaldtwistle station !!..been held up many times by lorries getting trapped under the 13'9" height (even though think they changed it back from metres, well, did on other bridges anyway in the U.K.)

My childhood was spent collecting and eating the wild rhubarb that grew on the banks of the Queens Road bridge .. how could I do that !! Even was christened 'Rhubarb' by my school friends for years 'cause of this obnoxious obsession .. now I only talk it !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 22:16   #40
Resident Waffler

Penny House Lane goes over a bridge over the railway.

Old 18-06-2007, 22:28   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Penny House Lane goes over a bridge over the railway.
Yeh, that's what I am probably wrongly calling Queen's Road bridge, although Penny House Lane only runs for about 100 yards off Burnley Road.

Last edited by katex; 18-06-2007 at 22:31.
Old 18-06-2007, 22:30   #42
Resident Waffler

I've never quite known where Queens Rd ends and Penny House Lane begins. I tend to think of it as being the bend where Thorneyholme Road joins.

There's the other railway bridge too near St. Josephs . Used to be able to drive over that once but not now.

Old 18-06-2007, 22:37   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I've never quite known where Queens Rd ends and Penny House Lane begins. I tend to think of it as being the bend where Thorneyholme Road joins.

There's the other railway bridge too near St. Josephs . Used to be able to drive over that once but not now.
Yeh, you correct re the change to Queen's Road, and blooming hek, how could I forget the one near St. Josephs .. just about 50 yards down the track from the 'Penny House Lane' one. Lived between the two .. The count is growing.
Old 18-06-2007, 22:41   #44
I am Banned

I guess we should also include the footbridge that is the next along the tracks toward the station! Loved it whilst it was fine, hated it in the rain LoL. Many people probably think the same about the footbridge on the station itself huh?
Old 18-06-2007, 22:42   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yeh, you correct re the change to Queen's Road, and blooming hek, how could I forget the one near St. Josephs .. just about 50 yards down the track from the 'Penny House Lane' one. Lived between the two .. The count is growing.
Is anybody keeping count? Would anybody like to keep count? < That would be cool!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..