Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2007, 20:50   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Bridges of Accrington(Historical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
Is this the start of a competition? I think we'll only see pleasure cruisers these days though. I would have loved to have lived in the days of barges. I was lucky enough to see a horse drawn barge once. Magnificent sight.
Believe me pilty, willow will get there first ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2007, 18:06   #77
Senior Member+

that bridge near accrington c.c next to higham's thar one near the bingo hall and glyn web (the curved one) and the one on willows lane and one near brunswick terrace. one near the coves in ossy too.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 11:20   #78
Resting in Peace

From Church And Oswaldtwistle station towards Rishton there are 3 bridges one over Coach Rd, one over Blackburn Rd and last one over Leeds/Liverpool canal. After that (I believe) under the embankment there is a wooden trellis which is also a bridge. Seen pictures on web but can't find them yet
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 12:56   #79
God Member

The really interesting pictures to have would be those taken inside the Hyndburn River culverts - such as that part running from the Bridge pub, by the market hall and under the Arndale; the bit running under Arnold's/Express gifts and the canal at Church; and the Tinker, as it runs uner the Canal and Blythes. My guess is that all of these are in a better condition than the Broadway pavement.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 17:53   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
There was but its now been filled in - it was just after the school where you go round on to rising bridge road or upto the farmers glory.

They filled it in when they built the bypass - it was the old railway lines and they needed a place where to dump the stuff from the new bypass as in meaning the haslingden one not the highway in the sky.

But now we still have a bridge - the highway in the sky going over northfield road.
Was this just a bridge or a tunnel that was filled?

I was wondering if the old manchester train line was above ground all the way or whether it ventured into a tunnel.
Old 10-09-2007, 18:41   #81
God Member

Is there not a pub in Blackburn called the Aqueduct ? can't remember where it was though
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 19:29   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
The really interesting pictures to have would be those taken inside the Hyndburn River culverts - such as that part running from the Bridge pub, by the market hall and under the Arndale; the bit running under Arnold's/Express gifts and the canal at Church; and the Tinker, as it runs uner the Canal and Blythes. My guess is that all of these are in a better condition than the Broadway pavement.
we used to go walkabout up the one from bull bridge under the red brick culvert where the old market was built n it came out somewhere in the area past oak street, where the little car parks are now i think, wasn't much to photograph tealeaf occasional rat excepting.where the river stink was visible at bull bridge before it went under the road there was a large pipe ran into it, we explored that one day crawling up etc n it came out at a grate half way up castle street. that was in my cashy the explorer days.
Old 12-09-2007, 18:03   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was still there last summer, used to jump off it onto the coal barges late 50s early 60s n skive a lift to burnley or blackburn, used to jump across to one coming the opposite way to get back home, lovely summer pastime, the Bargees were nearly all characters,had some good laffs. just noticed think yer on the wrong swingbridge? cant drive down jacksons field to the cut- no vehicular acess.
I remember that ... we usually got on the barges under the Whalley Road bridge in Clayton ... I took a little nostalgic trip thro the area on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal web site.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 18:08   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Is there not a pub in Blackburn called the Aqueduct ? can't remember where it was though
Yes there is and it still going. It is near Ewood Park home of BRFC
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 18:27   #85
God Member

I know that this bridge is not in Accrington, but it's a wonderful bridge and worth seeing: The Confederation Bridge/Pont de la Confederation crossing 12.9 km of the Northumberland Strait, linking New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 07:17   #86
Junior Member+

Don't know whether you'd class this as a bridge. We called it the Roman Tunnel as kids - takes you under the canal to the Golf course to find 'lost' balls. Think it was called Roman because of the cobbled roof. Apart from the motorway going under the canal between Church and Rishton, I don't know of another bridge / tunnel going under the canal around here.
swingbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 10:24   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingbrig View Post
Don't know whether you'd class this as a bridge. We called it the Roman Tunnel as kids - takes you under the canal to the Golf course to find 'lost' balls. Think it was called Roman because of the cobbled roof. Apart from the motorway going under the canal between Church and Rishton, I don't know of another bridge / tunnel going under the canal around here.
whereabouts is that one swingbrig? obviously before the motorway one coming from church end of the cut.
Old 19-12-2007, 23:01   #88
Senior Member+

In the book 'An Accrington Mixture' is an essay called 'Bridge that gap' by Les Bond. In it he sets out details of various bridges and undergrounds in the town.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 10:13   #89
Junior Member+

Hi Cashman. This tunnel / bridge can be located by turning down Lower Aspen Lane which is at the side of the Hare and Hounds (West End, Osw) until the canal bridge. Walk along the canal as if to Rishton. After about 300yds or so there is a culvert where a brook goes under the canal. It is private land both sides. As kids we were small enough to take this shortcut through the 'Roman Tunnel' to go through to the cows on the other side (to the left) and the golf 'balls' (to the right). 'Grown ups' had to cross the stone bridge on Lower Aspen Lane. The opening is not much bigger than the one you mentioned at Bullbrig going up toward Castle street. Hope this helps.
Old 22-12-2007, 10:25   #90
Junior Member+

PS There is further reference to the Roman Tunnel in Childhood Summer/Autumn Antics by Westender

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..