Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2007, 23:16   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bridges of Accrington(Historical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
Does anybody remember the old swing bridge on the track through Jacksons farm land? Is it still there? I remember spending many a happy hour playing on it with my mates when I was young. Got chased off a few times too! The cops never did have enough sense to send two cars. Whichever way they came we opened the bridge on em and fled the other way.
was still there last summer, used to jump off it onto the coal barges late 50s early 60s n skive a lift to burnley or blackburn, used to jump across to one coming the opposite way to get back home, lovely summer pastime, the Bargees were nearly all characters,had some good laffs. just noticed think yer on the wrong swingbridge? cant drive down jacksons field to the cut- no vehicular acess.

Last edited by cashman; 18-06-2007 at 23:19. Reason: addition
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2007, 23:22   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was still there last summer, used to jump off it onto the coal barges late 50s early 60s n skive a lift to burnley or blackburn, used to jump across to one coming the opposite way to get back home, lovely summer pastime, the Bargees were nearly all characters,had some good laffs. just noticed think yer on the wrong swingbridge? cant drive down jacksons field to the cut- no vehicular acess.
Both bridges have been mentioned. It surprising where you can get a push iron LoL. I've played on both bridges mentioned
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 09:52   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I did the same in the early 50s. From Church Kirk Bridge to The power station at Whitebirk and back.
The second swingbridge, now locked, was the main access to the Sewage/Treatment works at Copy Clough (Now defunct).
There was also vehicular access to Park Farm, where I lived and the Dunk.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 13:12   #49
God Member

Been known to use swing bridges for diving ( I know not healthy) into the canal when younger crossing the bridges to what was the old Huncoat pit area etc and those mentioned. Have a question though which is does the Leeds - Liverpool canal cross a bridge or a viaduct in the district?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 13:19   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Been known to use swing bridges for diving ( I know not healthy) into the canal when younger crossing the bridges to what was the old Huncoat pit area etc and those mentioned. Have a question though which is does the Leeds - Liverpool canal cross a bridge or a viaduct in the district?
I'm not sure but I can find out. May take a little time.
Old 19-06-2007, 13:19   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
It does in Burnley town centre
Old 19-06-2007, 13:27   #52
God Member

And while taking a virtual trip along the Leeds Liverpool canal I was reminded that of course if it's water going along it then it's an aquaduct not a viaduct
Old 19-06-2007, 13:48   #53
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
And while taking a virtual trip along the Leeds Liverpool canal I was reminded that of course if it's water going along it then it's an aquaduct not a viaduct
You make an excellent point there Dave. In my searches I also found out that it had a strange spelling of AquEduct. Go figure huh? There's a beautiful aqueduct on the Lancaster canal too. It has some awesome views. I'm not sure but I think there may be an aqueduct near Skipton too. Still looking will update if I find anything else.
Old 19-06-2007, 13:49   #54
Resident Waffler

Darn! You got there before me. I was going to say "No, but it might cross an aqueduct."

There aren't any in the Hyndburn area as far as I know though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 13:57   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Darn! You got there before me. I was going to say "No, but it might cross an aqueduct."

Strangely enought the place I am on about in Yorkshire Street Burnley has always been know to locals as the Culvert. Strange because it actually carries the canal across the street overhead and I always thought Culverts were underneath.

The canal is also carried across the M65 at Gannow by bridge/aquaduct.
Old 19-06-2007, 13:59   #56
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

I'm almost certain that there are none in the Hyndburn area. I'm still looking for other parts of the canal. This site has some points that are quite interesting > http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?p...4&language=eng
Old 19-06-2007, 14:02   #57
I am Banned

The Eanam Wharf visitor centre also has a display about the Leeds and Liverpool canal. There address can be found here >>

The Inland Waterways Heritage Network
Old 19-06-2007, 14:05   #58
I am Banned

My concise Oxford Dictionary says >> culvert n. a tunnel carrying a stream or open drain under a road or railway.
Old 19-06-2007, 14:07   #59
I am Banned

Has anybody ever heard of the Haslingden Canal?
Old 19-06-2007, 14:15   #60
Resident Waffler

I believe the Haslingden canal was supposed to link the Leeds/Liverpool canal to Manchester but was never constructed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..