Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2007, 11:18   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bridges of Accrington(Historical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingbrig View Post
Hi Cashman. This tunnel / bridge can be located by turning down Lower Aspen Lane which is at the side of the Hare and Hounds (West End, Osw) until the canal bridge. Walk along the canal as if to Rishton. After about 300yds or so there is a culvert where a brook goes under the canal. It is private land both sides. As kids we were small enough to take this shortcut through the 'Roman Tunnel' to go through to the cows on the other side (to the left) and the golf 'balls' (to the right). 'Grown ups' had to cross the stone bridge on Lower Aspen Lane. The opening is not much bigger than the one you mentioned at Bullbrig going up toward Castle street. Hope this helps.
cheers swingbrig, will have a sneck over xmas, usually get on the cut there.
Old 09-08-2011, 19:31   #92
Give, give, give member

Sorry for the resurrection, but doesn't really qualify for a new thread, and this was the only one that seemed at all fitting.

Was stood waiting for someone today, at the junction of Bridge Street, and Little Blackburn Road, on the corner of what I still call Garth Dawson's.

The building on the opposire corner, now a music shop, looks like an ordinary Victorian built shop, from the frontage on Little Blackburn Road.

However, the building on Bridge Street, when you look closely, is a rather grand looking, double fronted, three storey building, of perfect symmetry.

What was it?

A pub?

Residential?

Am intrigued now.

Anyone know?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 22:13   #93
Resting in Peace

Can't find any reference to this property being a pub, Garinda .. sure our knowledgeable historians will be along to let us know what it was originally.

There was one next door on Bridge Street (No 2, I think) .. but don't know what it was called.

There was also a pub/beer house at No. 12 Bridge Street (on the other side further down than Garth Dawson's which is No. 6) called The Jolly Sailor.

Then, of course, there was the one on the corner of Bank Street/Little Blackburn Road, which was The Oddfellows. Is this still the bookies ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 22:19   #94
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Can't find any reference to this property being a pub, Garinda .. sure our knowledgeable historians will be along to let us know what it was originally.

There was one next door on Bridge Street (No 2, I think) .. but don't know what it was called.

There was also a pub/beer house at No. 12 Bridge Street (on the other side further down than Garth Dawson's which is No. 6) called The Jolly Sailor.

Then, of course, there was the one on the corner of Bank Street/Little Blackburn Road, which was The Oddfellows. Is this still the bookies ?
It would be on Bridge Street. The end gable being on Blackburn Road, and now the music shop front.

If you go on Google Street view you can see it, including an odd, filled in window.

Thanks for trying to satisfy my curiosity. x

Old 09-08-2011, 22:42   #95
Resting in Peace

Actually, have been looking at the wrong property (dizzy duck)
.. just noticed you said three storey ... shows on street view No. 1 ?

Don't think Public House, but it is an interesting building.
Old 09-08-2011, 22:47   #96
Give, give, give member

Duplicate post, sorry.

Last edited by garinda; 09-08-2011 at 22:50.
Old 09-08-2011, 22:49   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Don't think Public House, but it is an interesting building.
It is, isn't it?

Quite imposing.

Never noticed until today.

Old 09-08-2011, 23:40   #98
Senior Member+

Think this is in the wrong thread really, but .... I think you mean this corner building, with a clock on the front of the building?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 23:45   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Think this is in the wrong thread really, but .... I think you mean this corner building, with a clock on the front of the building?
That's it.

The side on Bridge Street looks like a three story Victorian town house, with that being the front of the property, and the gable end being the end with the clock, in the photo.

Old 09-08-2011, 23:56   #100
Resting in Peace

Yeh, but around the corner, Atarah, actually on Bridge Street. Could have been all part of the same shop, do you think ?

Damn, Google maps .. why do they have to be all copyright ... or are they .. bit amiguous about this.
Old 10-08-2011, 00:02   #101
Senior Member+

Oh, its all part of the same building Katex!
Once, a gentleman called Samuel Spencer lived there. He was born in Accrington in 1809 and became a Master Tailor. He reputedly founded the first business on these premises c1830, not long after the construction of "Little" Blackburn Road. Mr Spencer worked here most of his adult life and, according to the census returns, employed as many as 14 men and boys.
He lived above the shop with his wife Suzanna, 3 children and one domestic servant.
Not too sure of the date, (in last 10-15 years at a guess) but before the bridal shop used to be there, an "eating establishment" open there and after research by the owner, named it SAMUEL SPENCERS to keep the name of the original owner alive.

And ....as the photo shows, E.J. Riley's were there at one time too.

Last edited by Atarah; 10-08-2011 at 00:04.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 00:04   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yeh, but around the corner, Atarah, actually on Bridge Street. Could have been all part of the same shop, do you think ?

Damn, Google maps .. why do they have to be all copyright ... or are they .. bit amiguous about this.
I just tried to photograph a good view of the house on Google, and my lappy went loopy, so gave up.

It's odd.

Dual purpose.

From one side it's a shop fronted property.

Go around the corner and it's the front of a Victorian town house.

Old 10-08-2011, 00:04   #103
Resting in Peace

What a star you are, Atarah .. looks like was a sweat shop ... LOL.
Old 10-08-2011, 00:07   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I just tried to photograph a good view of the house on Google, and my lappy went loopy, so gave up.

It's odd.

Dual purpose.

From one side it's a shop fronted property.

Go around the corner and it's the front of a Victorian town house.
...and the perfect symmetry of the windows and door, would suggest this was the intended frontage of the building, on Bridge Street, and not just the side of a shop on Little Blackburn Road.

Old 10-08-2011, 00:12   #105
Give, give, give member

It was a chip shop about twenty years ago, with a cafe you could access via Bridge Street, if you didn't want to fight past the queue in the shop on Blackburn Road.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..