Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 21:39   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Broadway....dug up!

That blue monstrosity is a sore point with many an AccyWeb member. A-b did a photoshop revamp of it a couple of years ago to show what it could be like if Hyndborg council would just use a bit of imagination.

Broadway is pathetic isn't it? No, they aren't going to be spending any more on stage one. That is supposedly finished now. The bit they are supposed to be doing next is just a short length whch you can almost see in photo 4, further up than the building with the green canopy.

Did you notice the dead oak trees in their little steel traps?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2006, 21:49   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Did you notice the dead oak trees in their little steel traps?
As far as I can ascertain oak trees should be planted at the end of January, not at the begining of November, in the middle of a freezing cold spell. At least they looked 'nice' for the 'grand' unveiling of Broadway.

They look dead.

Fingers crossed they aren't.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 22:53   #18
God Member

LOL oak trees in a town centre, now that is takin the pish. You any idea how big oak trees grow, in 20 yrs it'll be like walkin in a forest. I think you lot should get your council certified.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 22:54   #19
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
As far as I can ascertain oak trees should be planted at the end of January, not at the begining of November, in the middle of a freezing cold spell. At least they looked 'nice' for the 'grand' unveiling of Broadway.

They look dead.

Fingers crossed they aren't.
They are sleeping....... But they might just kark it when they wake up and see where they are......

Tell you what I never noticed before? those crappy coloured windows at the enterance of the Arndale.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 22:57   #20
God Member

All that building needs is a good cleen, but then most of them do, do your shops not have any pride?, I thought ours were bad. replace the blue panels with white or terracota to match those planters, then paint the building with a stone colour paint. look a million times better than that eye sore, and just basic building maintenance really. I trust you have it smothered with bedding plants in summer, grow bags on those overhanging roofs etc.
Old 06-03-2006, 22:58   #21
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
LOL oak trees in a town centre, now that is takin the pish. You any idea how big oak trees grow, in 20 yrs it'll be like walkin in a forest. I think you lot should get your council certified.
It’s intentional, they wanted to camouflage the old blue and white carbuncle on the arse end of the Town Hall, but nobody could work out how long it would take…..

Broadway Forest, Accrington........Nice Idea, I like that....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 23:05   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
All that building needs is a good cleen, but then most of them do, do your shops not have any pride?, I thought ours were bad. replace the blue panels with white or terracota to match those planters, then paint the building with a stone colour paint. look a million times better than that eye sore, and just basic building maintenance really. I trust you have it smothered with bedding plants in summer, grow bags on those overhanging roofs etc.
Apparently the leader of the council has the hated blue and white building on his to do list.

Funny that.

The power of Accy Web.

Old 07-03-2006, 00:14   #23
God Member

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...g?d=1107097761
That paving and seating looks far more inviting than the new stuff.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:50   #24
Resident Waffler

Quote:
I trust you have it smothered with bedding plants in summer, grow bags on those overhanging roofs etc.

We do have the odd hanging basket but not there, we had some large raised areas for bedding plants before they were removed to make a temporary home for the market when they were resiting it. The improved version doesn't have as much plant planning.

Quote:
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...g?d=1107097761
That paving and seating looks far more inviting than the new stuff.

Ah but that was before they improved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Tell you what I never noticed before? those crappy coloured windows at the enterance of the Arndale.
That's probably because it's only recently been done. Another improvement?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 19:33   #25

Broadway is awful, dismal and drearie. There are not enough seats for a start. Not enough anything. I have always defended Accrington market and the town centre and always do my shopping there. But, it's disheartening. I remember people coming from Hapton, Burnley and Rossendale to our market. There's not many coming now.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 21:51   #26
Give, give, give member

I stood there this afternoon admiring the innovative water feature.

The massive six meter circumference puddle in the middle of the red gravelly grit.

Engineering brilliance of the finest order.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:14   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I went into Accrington today and noticed that there were 4 United Utilities vans on the new pavement........and a very large hole near the doorway of JJB sports. What's the betting that they crack a few of the expensive paving stones and shove them back any old way?

It didn't look like a water or a gas leak..........so what's the hurry to dig it up?
My Dad is an Overhead Linesman Officer for United Utilities. (Electric Board). He doesnt know of anything to do with the Electric Board happening on Broadway.

PS: I will choose to ignore your comment about cracking a few paving stones and 'shoving' them back any old way. I considerd it rather childish and a bit petty. Maybe if you had a problem with any previous work by UU, you could report it to them at their Whitebirk office.

Yours etc.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:26   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz
My Dad is an Overhead Linesman Officer for United Utilities. (Electric Board). He doesnt know of anything to do with the Electric Board happening on Broadway.

PS: I will choose to ignore your comment about cracking a few paving stones and 'shoving' them back any old way. I considerd it rather childish and a bit petty. Maybe if you had a problem with any previous work by UU, you could report it to them at their Whitebirk office.

Yours etc.
I agree. This is nothing to do with United Utilities. This is a gang of robbers and they are planning to tunnel into the Pound Shop next door and nick all the money & stock.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I agree. This is nothing to do with United Utilities. This is a gang of robbers and they are planning to tunnel into the Pound Shop next door and nick all the money & stock.
Exactly...
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:36   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Not going to get rich trying to rob the Pound Shop. Try the Town Hall they seem to have money lying around for "projects and inquires"

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..