Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 01:46   #46
God Member

Re: Broadway....dug up!

I'm sure it will be repaired and transformed back to the new blandness that is now broadway. Look at it like this, at least you now have a talking point about the paving. or in the most famous of all cowboy works words 'its better than it was, you should be gratefull'
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2006, 14:55   #47
God Member

I can take it as read then that this bit of work did not add colour or charecter to the blandness.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 18:18   #48
God Member

Have the bollards still got little patches of white concrete around them
Old 12-03-2006, 20:34   #49
Resident Waffler

No, the black and white theme has had an extra layer added since then and it's the sort of pink grit.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 21:30   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
pink grit.
There's no need for bad language.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 22:12   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Here are some photos I took of Broadway a few minutes ago for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of seeing it.
I like the last picture Willow.
It shows the yellow building above M&S etc. Its looks almost as bad as the blue one yet none of you appear to moan about it.
Old 12-03-2006, 22:37   #52
Resident Waffler

The yellow comes a close second to the blue but somehow it doesn't seem to be quite so much "in yer face". They are both very much of the same architectural ilk and typical of the era in which they were built.

And to think Hyndborg BC complained about the hot spud van lowering the tone of Broadway!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 22:56   #53
Give, give, give member

At least the building is in good repair, and shows a somewhat urban sixties modernism.

The blue and white eyesore on the otherhand, has broken plastic panels, with some of the ones with missing panels having the breeze block underneath being painted the same cacky blue.

The Arndale building, with it's minimalist clock above the pound shop has a retro charm, unlike the one attached to the Town Hall.

Last edited by garinda; 12-03-2006 at 22:59.
Old 12-03-2006, 23:11   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
And to think Hyndborg BC complained about the hot spud van lowering the tone of Broadway!
Bar stewards, I used to like that van
Old 12-03-2006, 23:13   #55
God Member

same thing happened in Blackburn, they got rid of a kiddies little carousel, and the hot potato van.... why????

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 23:14   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Bar stewards, I used to like that van
Yes, they say they are trying to introduce continental cafe culture to that part of town, then ban the van.

Old 13-03-2006, 15:58   #57
God Member

Continental Cafe culture and Broadway go together as well as ice cream and prune juice. Both liable no make uncle hughie urquart pay a visit.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-03-2006, 20:18   #58
God Member

If your going to introduce continental cafe culture to broadway they'd better start digging it up again. people want some thing to look at, style, design, nice suroundings not a winding tarmac road in a flat landscape. Our main streets got more style than that and ours is still open to traffic.

I didn't notice the yellow panels niel, yes they xcome second but aren't anywhere near as bad as the blue. There are the yellow/cream of the stone in broadway and the render on the building at the end so the colour isn't that out of place and demonstrates that what i and rindy said about a quick paint would make the blue building look a lot better the building, also the architecture isn't as bad, at least there's some concrete blocking and pillars that define the windows that could be cleaned up painted. The blue building is terrible, blue plastic panels, in dirty plastic windows and flat sand textured. Note though that nationwide have painted the front of the canaopy and how much better it looks. Imagine if the whole building was like that even with the blue.
On a positive note, it doesn't look like you've got much litter, it looks very clean and tidy.
I'm sure it will look much better in summer, when it's smothered in flowers all along those canopies.
Old 14-03-2006, 06:54   #59
God Member

There you go G something to kill some time. Redesign Broadway for the cafe culture they so desperately want.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 14-03-2006, 10:36   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
There you go G something to kill some time. Redesign Broadway for the cafe culture they so desperately want.
Ok, after we've moved Accy to just outside Cap Ferrat.

The idea was mooted by the council that the area infront of the Market Hall and Town Hall be given over to street cafes.

The main draw back is that for the forty eight weeks when it may not be raining, it's an area mainly in the shade, and is also a bit of a wind tunnel, so would never work anyway.

We live in Accrington, not the south of France, plus they'd probably ban you from lighting up a Gauloise anyway.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..